WeAreSC Mailbag (12-6)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Dec 6, 2018.

2. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    We saw the impact it had on Pete Carroll when Norn Chow got a lot of attention, it helped lead to Chow having play calling taken away and given to the combination of Sarkisian and Kiffin

Can look at that two ways. 1) you need to plan for the future and have succession planning in place. 2) immature ego driven decision that ultimately proved to be the beginning of the end.

3. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    100% agree (Calihutch) #19 is going to be a phenomenal recruiter for USC. He is out there now doing work.

As far as KK. He did not have the reputation of landing the big fish but was an expert at finding hidden gems. Mahomes and Johnny Manziel were both 3 stars. That alone makes him dangerous.

Rodgarnay51, in2nation and Troy70 like this.
  4. SC ForLife

SC ForLife Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    I think this speaks to player development. Something we sorely need.

Rodgarnay51 and Cardinal&Gold like this.
  5. woohit42

woohit42 Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Thanks for answering my question Garry. I'm excited to see JT's development under Kingsbury.

Hockey10 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  6. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Garry
    I may be getting way ahead of myself but would like your thoughts to this hypothesis
    With his contacts, pedigree and personality KK would seem a natural to be the head coach of USC sooner than later .. I have no doubt he will succeed in 2019 no matter the team record . I think his interest in SC is the head coaching job and then if successful a leap to the NFL
    Just because he did not win big at TT does not mean he would on excel as our head coach
    it would seem HCCH would take a position within the Athletic Department
    Your thoughts

7. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    This is a particularly good Mailbag Garry. Thanks for answering so many questions (because we have a lot of them).

The signing of Kingsbury gives us something we haven't had for awhile, and that is hope for the Trojans. It indicates (proves is too strong a word) that Swann isn't fooling around, despite the fact that he (or SC) has kept Helton. The Kingsbury signing may be a boost for recruiting too. I guess we'll see whether Swann's faith in Helton is justified. I'm not sold, but I'm more confident than I was before.

However, reading how heavily penalized Kingsbury's teams were is definitely cause for pause. You get two undisciplined coaches together and it sounds like the maddening penalties at key times may continue. I sure hope not.

I for one am absolutely fine with them keeping Clancy, especially since they've gotten him out on the recruiting trail. He has some credentials and I don't think the 2018 defense's failings were entirely his fault.

I enjoyed the item at the end about Coach Hutch. I could easily see Hutchings being a good coach someday and I'm sure he's an asset already.

Thanks again and Fight On!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. Rodgarnay51

Dec 6, 2018
    So am I. There were a lot of things holding JT back last year including his own inexperienced. The way that guy can throw a football has to be intriguing to Kingsbury.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. Rodgarnay51

Dec 6, 2018
    Maybe Ivan is fine. Maybe it's a lack of Helton telling them "you will do this if you want to play at USC."

10. woohit42

woohit42 Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    His quick release and accuracy in the 1st half of the ND game was eye opening.

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  11. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    somebody needs to light a fire under these kids to get them in the gym and work their ass off

12. woohit42

woohit42 Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    It baffles me that these kids aren't doing anything on their own. Being physically fit is what it means to be an athlete.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    It's what you get with a quick-paced offense. I remember when Barry Switzer's Oklahoma option teams were criticized for lots of fumbles. Switzer brushed it off, saying it's just part of the overhead, but the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Dec 7, 2018
    He's going to need more than that in this Air Raid offense. Sears has a live arm and a quick release but his added dimension to make plays running when the play breaks down or on designed QB runs is about a light year ahead of Daniels. The reopened competition will be a battle.

Butcher22, eliminator207 and Cyrus like this.
  15. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Dude, I never disagree with you as your football knowledge is light years ahead of me (heck, I even put a like to this post). But so far I am not buying that Air Raid needs a dual threat QB. I haven't seen much Texas Tech, but WSU QBs under the Pirate are not dual threat. They are the type that can deliver quick accurate throws.

Having said that, dual threat QBs can enhance any kind of system (pro style, Air Raid, run and shoot, wishbone, etc). The last thing any defense wants to see is a QB that can throw and run. I do think that Kingsbury should do his own evaluation of QBs, and picks the one that fits his system the best, and not be ordered by Helton as to which QB to play.

eliminator207 and Rodgarnay51 like this.