WeAreSC Mailbag (10-10)

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Oct 11, 2018.

2. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Re: the DL, I think their youth has something to do with it. I've mentioned this before, but I can't help but remember the way Gibson, Ryan and Owens got pushed around when they were freshmen and sophomores, and how tough they were as seniors. Maybe our d-linemen will progress similarly. Rector does not apply to this idea and remains a mystery. Maybe he'll resurface Saturday.

The Trojans have too much talent to generate such an anemic pass rush, and the shaky secondary needs the front 7 to take some of the pressure off them and put it on the QB. They'd better do something or Montez will be a handful. He's not averse to running with the ball; maybe the Trojans can put a couple good pops on him without drawing roughing penalties. Wishful thinking? I hope not.

eliminator207 and Merlin4SC like this.
  3. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Right RodG. This is all strategically wrong. I have not read a more depressing Mailbag in quite some time. It just seems like we are making all the wrong moves these days. I recall back in 2000 that same feeling where most of the fans were smarter than Hackett. Actually, it was more of a case of him being stubborn and refusing to admit that his plans were not going to be working, yet sticking with them. I completely agree with the poster that Hellton's best move to date was bringing in McCullough at RB position coach. BKU is a good coach and there's no doubt he knows how to develop his guys, but they gotta have a motor to begin with. So much for progress.

Cardinal&Gold and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  4. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Oct 11, 2018
    I would put Iosefa just slightly behind Rector in the mystery dept. I really thought Jordan showed some flashes last year and even in camp filling in for Cam on the inside, but for whatever reason he hasn’t had as much of an impact once the season has started.

5. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Oct 11, 2018
    "Bryan Ellis may be a great coach someday, I don’t know, but the reality right now is that he’s a first-year coach."

A better time to do something like that would be when you have a veteran QB that doesn't need a lot of help transitioning up to the next level

6. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Oct 11, 2018
    I hear what you're saying but that's tough for a guy like Sam, for instance, to decide on pro coaching or a first-year coach in charge of his development. It's one of the reasons we don't see many first-year coaches around here, especially at the QB spot. I do remember Ken O'Brien doing a good job as a first-year guy for Carson.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. Rodgarnay51

Oct 11, 2018
    I fear that Helton may have that same stubborn streak. Sure hope not. We are going to find out a LOT on Saturday.

eliminator207 likes this.
  8. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

Oct 11, 2018
    If I didn't know better I would think I was reading the mailbag from the guttie site. Just discouraging to see our program so systemically weak.

9. Rodgarnay51

Oct 11, 2018
    I wouldn't say weak. Uncertain might be a better word. I really think this game coming up will tell us a lot one way or the other.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  10. billsb1970

billsb1970 Junior Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Regarding the play of our DL this year, no one is beating their man one on one. So definitely no pass rush. I would like to see Clay mix it up more with 4/3. Our LB's and corner blitzes don't get the job done. Plus we are so predictable.