We Have Talent to Beat Oregon

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by JayBird23, Oct 28, 2019.

1. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    We have the talent to beat any team in the country.

2. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I don't know that I agree with that. Here are several reasons why I disagree:

1) We play fewer home games than the overwhelming majority of top ten teams (Alabama, Clemson, tOSU, etc. have typically 8-9 home games each season). We played only 6 home games in 2016, 7 home games in 2017, 6 home games again in 2018, and have 4 so far this year. During the same timeframe, Alabama has not played more than 4 road games in any season.
    2) Most of our home games are against conference opponents with typically one cupcake at home each season.
    3) Clay Helton is 20-3 at home since his first full season (2016) with the three losses to #3 Notre Dame by a TD, ASU by 3 points, and Kal by 1 point.
    4) At home we have won all but two games against conference opponents in the past four years...we have beaten Oregon, ND, a really good ranked Stanford team, up and comer Texas, and a highly ranked Utah team.
    5) If you look at the total picture of our home games, you see that we are 6-1 against ranked teams when we play at home since Helton's first season. I don't know if there are many teams out there that can claim that record. For comparison sake, Alabama (the gold standard to which we hold ourselves) has played 13 total road games during Helton's tenure and is 12-1 (6-1 versus ranked teams).

Helton's teams, bottom line, must learn how to play on the road. Our schedule doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon to give us 8-9 home games and never more than 4 road games. If you look at our past four seasons, if we had Alabama's home/road split, and Helton's 85% winning percentage at home...if he only won 50% of the 4 road games each year, he would have a record of 9-3 or 10-2 in the regular season every year...on average. We would have likely been 11-1 in 2016 and in the playoff, 11-1 in 2017 and in the playoff, we would have likely been 6-6 last season (yes, it would still have been bad), and likely be sitting at 6-2 right now and ranked somewhere in the top 15.

Don't misconstrue this argument as being a fan of Clay Helton as our coach, but I only look at the facts and try to keep emotions out of the equation. One cannot refute these facts. With the exception of 2018, his teams have won every single home game. The problem is that they also have to play 5-6 road games every season. If USC wants to win with Clay Helton, they better figure out how to lower their road games to no more than 4 per year like the Alabamas, Clemsons, Georgias, LSUs, and tOSUs of the world. We are just mediocre at preparing for road games. Helton is 9-11 on the road during his tenure (1-7 versus ranked teams). They've played 20 road games to Alabama's 13. That is a huge difference. Helton absolutely is horrid on the road. HORRID. If he can fix that, this program can compete for NCs.

*I do not count neutral sites as home or road games.

3. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Also, safety Julian Blackmon was playing in a knee brace and estimated at 70%. It was his job to stop the over the top jump ball plays and he did not. So a bit of fortune there.

4. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I still attribute that to the fact we play in a weak conference. I'm not saying we don't play better at home. That's an expectation.

But the PAC-12 doesn't have many teams that (should) beat us at home or away. USC is vastly more talented than all but Washington and Oregon.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  5. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Of course we have the talent to beat Oregon.

We also have the coaching to beat Oregon.

Oregon also has the talent and coaching to beat us.

Appalachian State had the talent and coaching to beat Michigan, once.

The games aren't played on paper.

6. silversprint

silversprint Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    We had the talent to beat BYU.

Talent alone doesn't win games. Hard work, coaching and practice wins games.

zitorocks and jjg4sc like this.
  7. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Don't know about everything else comparatively but those are hard numbers and logical points.

Still, the fact remains that Helton will never beat a top team, outside the PAC 12 not named Penn State.

Forget getting to the NC, no point in going if they are going to get blasted. Because he doesn't know how to prepare a team. Also, anything to do with the team schedule has to be an issue to fix with Larry Fart and the new AD. It's dumb how little control this program has of it's own destiny.

It's all about having the right circumstances and USC does not have a whole lot of that.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    zitorocks likes this.
  8. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Well, Vegas line is moving a little more our way I think. Let’s just f’n win.

9. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    This is why we watch. Any given Saturday.

Tod78 likes this.
  10. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Oct 31, 2019
    We have the talent to beat Oregon. I agree. Our water polo team should absolutely wipe the floor with them.

Oh, we're talking about football?

Hold on...[takes deep breath]

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHABAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!

Oregon is beatable, sure. Just not by us.

(And yes, someone save this post for my feast of crow on Sunday! ;)