We are --- who we thought we are...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by jvjls, Sep 14, 2019.

1. We are --- who we thought we are...
    jvjls

jvjls Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I like Clay Helton as a person, but not as a coach. I wanted to believe that the changes he made to his staff would be enough to turn USC football around. Like most SC fans, I was guardedly optimistic after the first two weeks, but it's clear that the same fundamental problems exist, and were merely masked for one week because of a convincing win over a weak Stanford team.

Basically, we are -- who we thought we are...the team is still disorganized at the worst times, plays weak defense with blown assignments and an inexcusable amount of missed tackles. We still commit stupid penalities showcasing our lack of discipine. The offense lacks imagination after the scripted plays are finished, and worst of all, the coaching staff is unable to make necessary adjustments in critical moments.

I really wanted to give Helton the benefit of the doubt, and I was hoping the fans, including myself, were wrong in our assessment. However, it couldn't be more clear that unless our coaching leadership is changed, we will continue to be an average program, not a great one. 8 or 9 wins shouldn't be enough at USC, it wouldn't be at Alabama, Ohio St. Oklahoma, etc. and oh yeah, we only had 5 wins last season. Let's clean house, get a fresh start, and become USC again. Please Dr. Folt, continue to take charge, and let everyone know, USC isn't about being average, it's about being exceptional.

2. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Well stated

3. SCGRAD12

SCGRAD12 Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Everything you said is true. He has to go. Who cares how nice he is. We are not a good football team and are nowhere near being great. We are not getting better or developing players. He has to be let go early, so we are not fighting with other programs who have also fired their coach.

Trojan12 likes this.
  4. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Sep 14, 2019
    He gave much-needed stability and dignity to a program that was reeling from years of poor decisions.
    He has been given more than a fair shot to prove he could do more than that.

He has not.

5. TKnight

TKnight Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Welcome back to reality....................its 2018 all over again

Trojan12 likes this.
  6. jvjls

jvjls Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I wonder if losing the next three games, which is a distinct possibility, would be enough to make a change in season, or if we will wait until the season ends.

7. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    With my apologies to The Who....
    ‘Meet the new team, same as the old team.’

8. TrojanTracker1

TrojanTracker1 Active Member

Sep 14, 2019
    If you throw out the games against teams from second tier conferences (Mountain West, Mid-American), USC is 3-8 in non-conference games under Clay Helton. All 3 victories were at home or at least in Los Angeles County. And it's been almost exactly 2 years since such a win.

The 3 wins were:
    45-27 against a Notre Dame team that finished the season 4-8
    52-49 last second field goal against Penn St. in the Rose Bowl (the signature victory!)
    27-24 overtime win against Texas (Texas finished that season 7-6)

I won't mention all the embarrassing losses (there's just too many).

9. TroyWill

TroyWill Member

Sep 14, 2019
    "Deja vu all over again"