We are talking about 65 million dollars.....

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Area51Trojan, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Situational Mastery

Situational Mastery Points Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I'm here to talk USC football and not cesspool politics. I don't feed the trolls. Have a great one!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  2. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Waynes Hughes was the man that wanted Swan

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I question that piece of information. He is the one that installed Max. He obviously has a lot of money so a) why would he want someone as unqualified as either Haden or Swann and b), why hasn't he used all his money to influence the University in a more conservative direction? What he does on a daily basis just doesn't take him to the realm of making piss-ant decisions like who USC has for athletic director... in my opinion.

TheRealAirbns likes this.
  4. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Right, you’re here to talk football but injected your two cent opinion on politics.....typical.

5. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    That the OT is a "chamber full of clear racist?" (sic)

Dude, you're a troll, which means you're mentally ill. Nobody cares about convincing the mentally ill of anything. Why even try? You're too busy living in your own, personally devised la-la land.

Cult of Personality
    Noun
    cult of personality - intense devotion to a particular person

Dude, not only am I not devoted to Fly, I don't even particularly like him as a poster.

His comment, however, was germane to his point. Given your mental illness, whether or not you agree with that is irrelevant.

Actions have a basis in belief. No belief, no motivation = no action.

In context, then, how would you describe your own addition... fanboy?

DJ4SC likes this.
  6. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    >>>>The enrolled student population at University of Southern California, both undergraduate and graduate, is 33.1% White, 17.6% Asian, 13% Hispanic or Latino, 5.59% Black or African American, 3.29% Two or More Races, 0.237% Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islanders, and 0.212% American Indian or Alaska Native.

Students enrolled at University of Southern California in full-time Undergraduate programs are majority White Female (20.2%), followed by White Male (19.3%) and Asian Female (11.1%). Students enrolled in full-time Graduate programs are majority White Female (15.1%), followed by White Male (12%) and Asian Female (8.9<<>>

Is this a demographic that will support football? It is a serious question.

Is this a problem:

>>>With students representing 135 countries around the world, the USC campus mirrors the rich diversity of the global community. International students make up nearly a quarter of our entire student population, <<<

A quarter of the enrollment is from international students.

Does that look like a school that would/should focus on football?

7. flyfishintrojan

Nov 3, 2019
    Who is the average fan? When posters give ages, IIRC most are well over 50 and white. Why would the school drop big coin to placate a dying minority? They might but is that a sound strategy?

They shrunk the stadium down. What do they know? Most big programs seat over 100000. We downsized ours. Why?

8. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    You just said a bunch of nothing, as you keep using the word Troll. Despite not having a clue on how to apply it. The fact that you think Trolling has any root basis in belief, tells me as much. Especially in this era.

Other than that, all I got were insults. And that is not how an adult converses, that's how a child speaks.

Also, I called a spade a spade, yes the OT is full of racist. Did I misspell it? do you need glasses?

Though I find it curious that you find offense to it...

Hit dogs holler

Of course, you'd question it because it doesn't fit whatever confirmation you wish to believe. But the facts are in the pudding. He's USC's largest active booster and folks with that power have control at Private School like USC. And that person has backed Lynn Swan before (who's also a conservative).

So I don't understand the confusion. Some people with lots of money do dumb shit, doesn't matter their affiliation.

9. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Dude, I've been posting on the internet since before there was a Web. I know exactly what "troll" means. And since you apparently don't, it comes from the expression trolling (as in fishing) for reactions. It's when mentally ill people get their jollies from making other people angry/uncomfortable, etc., which describes exactly your performance on the OT when you went there.

Yeah, you're nuts, and in an asshole kind of way. Why should I give a shit?

Prove it. And yes, you misspelled it.

My entry in the trite expressions display: Trolls gonna troll.

Asshole.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Area51Trojan likes this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I don't know the answer to your last question but wondering where you got those numbers. This is from the Class of 2023.

Race/Ethnicity White 32%
    Asian / Asian American 23%
    International (student visa holders) 15%
    Latinx / Hispanic 14%
    Black / African American 6%
    Multiple Ethnicities 6%
    http://admission.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/Freshman-Profile-2019.pdf

My guess is that the international number you reference above includes post bachelor's degree students and frankly, they shouldn't count. Undergrads drive the activity and focus of the school. THEY are the future donors.

Outside of football talk, what's disturbing is total cost to attend, $77,500...about 20% get some type of financial aid...and the most popular academic distribution is from the College of Letters, Arts, & Sciences. Those degrees aren't worth the accumulated debt.

11. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I love it when the race card is played for the decline in USC football. It's not because Helton is garbage, it's because there's too many Mexicans and Asians on campus. LMAO.

CA is the most diverse state in the nation, so of course USC (located in CA) is going to have a diverse demographic. How does diversity explain why Texas, with their diverse demographic background, takes its football seriously while racking in serious dough and investments. Plus Asians and blacks are going into SEC schools too since the CA schools are too expensive and competitive . Man some USC fans are so fucking dumb, Haden and Swann probably took advice from these dumb ass fans.

Area51Trojan likes this.
  12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I question it because it doesn't make any sense and it flies in the face of what I know to be true about people like him, him, at that level. If he really had "control", as an ultra-conservative, then why the heck has the school gone so lib? He may have "backed" Lynn Swann previously, but I have seen no proof that Swann's hiring was at Hughes' behest.

Hughes is a billionaire. He donates money to conservative clauses. He's busy trying to proselytize all over the country. USC's Athletic Director would be at the same level of concern/attention as the brand of Kleenex in his bathroom. He IS a Max supporter. And that fact is more important than anything else.

Both his kids went to USC....wonder what their ACT scores were, lol.

TheRealAirbns likes this.
  13. norcalsurfer

Nov 3, 2019
    On the flip side, Max is a lefty (lefty being an understatement here) but he has no problems taking money from a conservative.

I tend to give people 2-4 weeks of interaction before judging them on their personality but Max has the distinction of being the only person I've judged meeting in person only once. That scumbag can't age fast enough.

14. flyfishintrojan

Nov 3, 2019
    In making financial decisions, I think you have to take demographics into account. For one I certainly don’t think racial makeup of the school accounts for a shit football team. But USC is a private school that cannot easily cushion financial errors.

How many people on this board 30 years ago would have predicted that McDonalds would be selling plant based “ burgers?” If I am sitting in a meeting discussing the future of USC football, with the issue of a large cash buyout and then turning around and entertaining the idea of throwing $9 million at another coach and I DIDN’T factor in the changing demographic if the school, I would be derelict in duty.

15. norcalsurfer

Nov 3, 2019
    The current demographics at USC aren't that much different than the demographics during the Pete Carroll/Tim Floyd era - you know when USC constantly made the list for best hoops/gridiron programs. Trust me, I attended SC from 2006-2010. Never thought a white girl would date an Indian or Chinese guy but it happened at USC. And this is nothing new, USC was one of the pioneers in racial integrity at universities.

Do I think the international student body has grown out of proportion - yes. But Max was a major reason for that and hopefully Dr. Folt tells him to fuck off.

Plus isn't that one Asian dude, Ming Hsieh, a huge fan of the football program? Perhaps we could use some of the rich Chinese money to pump into the facilities.

16. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Of course he doesn't because that's what he was being compensated to do. It's why he ignored the rumors about Puliafito because Puliafito was bringing in donations to Keck. It's why he ignored complaints about Tyndall because he thought he could keep it all under the rug. Ultimately, it's why the BoD kept Max on despite the clear indications of his malfeasance where Tyndall was concerned....Max was bringing in money!

As to the rest....
    [​IMG]

17. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Very much so...and a supporter of Dean Ellis. He stood up to Caruso....major points from me.

norcalsurfer likes this.
  18. flyfishintrojan

Nov 3, 2019
    And that certainly should be a financial avenue worth exploring. And maybe the football fan experience crosses demographics. I am not optimistic but I do not know.

We don’t really make that much money from football compared to the big boppers. And we have to bet on the come, hire a coach, fans will follow. Maybe. I think that is kinda risky. Other schools do not face that concern.

19. norcalsurfer

Nov 3, 2019
    I can't argue with you there, I know from my Facebook page a lot of Asians and Pacific Islanders all of a sudden became Golden State Warriors fans in 2015. I'd imagine the same for USC football under a coach that actually knows how to coach.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  20. flyfishintrojan

Nov 3, 2019

Would you bet $40 million on them becoming USC fans? That should be a serious BOT question.