We are talking about 65 million dollars.....

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Area51Trojan, Nov 2, 2019.

1. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    You and I don’t agree on much but this post is the truth until they show me otherwise. I will still support the FB team because it’s in my blood.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Even a year might not be enough.

Ignorant? No. Willing to do something different? I'm not convinced.

Yes, we paid PC....AFTER he demonstrated performance. We have never paid top dollar for an incoming coach. Urban has demonstrated success elsewhere, but not here. Caruso, Folt, and Bohn would all have to agree. Will they? And then there's Meyer. As you said, would he even want the job? He wouldn't have the freedom, the money, or the support he had elsewhere. Does that sound like a formula for success? PC left due to a lack of at least 2 of those things.

3. Area51Trojan

Area51Trojan Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    And that my fellow Trojans is the problem in a nutshell. It's not just us either, look at the Notre Dame boards, they have made the playoffs, beaten us and don't have 4 losses already and they HATE Kelly. they want Urban...they want anybody but Kelly and they claim the exact same thing, the admin does not care. BTW their AD makes over 3 million a year!

They could cite Urban's past issues of why they won't/can't hire him and the PC culture of the school would stand behind it. yet football drives the financial engine and it will stall if they don't make a splash hire.

I blame Haden and Max so much I could spit. We were cursed when both came to the University of Southern California.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I couldn't find a date for that source but I can tell you it's out of date.

From last year....

"Across the three years prior to last season, Texas A&M averaged annual revenues of $148 million, the most of any program in the nation. That not only tops the Longhorns; it leaves them in the dust. Over the same time period, Texas football averaged $133 million in revenue, making the Longhorns a distant second."

[​IMG]

And then from this year.....
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2019/09/12/college-football-most-valuable-clemson-texas-am/#261f8c87a2e7

I can't post the graphic but the top 7 or so are the same. The biggest mover? UGA, from 16th and $89M in revenue to 7th with over $120M in revenue. Area51 posted a thread a few months back about how investment = winning. There are only 3 Pac12 teams on that list and the difference in profit between Oregon and USC is just $4M.

5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    100. Max was unforeseeable...Haden is straight up betrayal. Stunning when you realize we had an AD in Haden who not only played here but lived with the McKays and yet he allowed himself to take and keep a job for which had zero qualifications. He had no idea how to hire coaches, football or otherwise. Had no idea how to deal with "issues". I think his tenure is when I noticed Tessalone getting even closer to the camera frame, if that's possible. My God...Haden let a clearly impaired sarkisian stand alone in front of the media in an attempt to explain his rant at Salute. Where was Tessalone then? Disaster then, and it has continued.

6. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Nov 3, 2019
    His buyout is probably in the $7 - 10MM range.

Buyouts aren’t at full contract value, and decrease every year.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Here’s a list of coaches salaries and reported buyouts, private schools of course are not listed, but one can speculate as to their buyout based on performance and pay.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Most buyouts have a declining scale annually. Helton’s pay has not been increased substantially since he was hired, I would think his buyout would be on a much steeper scale since he had no Head Coaching experience when hired.

That alone should make the school skeptical about potential success and would want to be in a position to jettison a non performer without to much financial pain.

8. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    You do realize what board you are on?

9. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    buy outs happen with change, it is part of the process. It is not 65 million

10. Area51Trojan

Nov 3, 2019
    VBall of course hits the nail on the head, USC is the conference leader in revenue, TV ratings ( notice only UW on that list, which is the only other school to win a NC in my lifetime from this conference) but look where are nationally...18th !! Yet we have to compete for coaches who then go and compete for recruits and build a team.

In the business world I came from I learned the term OPM rather quickly ( Other Peoples Money) I worry that everyone associated with having to do this action lives under the umbrella of OPM. Even on this board we're so quick to say, hell yeah! write the man the check. I read that President Folt has basically moving towards finalizing what Max was doing, every school at USC and thus every department is its own P&L. You do well, you have more resources and if you don't, you don't. Everything but athletics. Of course there are legal issues with Title IX etc but basically if USC football cannot sustain the hit for hiring big name coach/staff it must come from donors/boosters...and that OPM issue rears its ugly head. I mean that group ALREADY has choice seats in Haden Tower and all the perks the school can bestow. Writing a check with 7 digits gets them exactly what? not like your getting a building named after you...not even sure if this can be tax deductible.

I fixate on this because I worked for a VC and then I raised money for my own companies and the nuance and complications of risk/reward with institutional money is one thing, personal money...let me tell you, it's a different animal.

11. Area51Trojan

Nov 3, 2019
    Geez, I thought you were pretty dense on OT. No one is saying the buyout is 65 million. You really need to post far less often.

TheRealAirbns likes this.
  12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Excellent point. The people who would have to come up with the duckets to hire Meyer have already forked out a ton and for the most part, seem to have what they wanted. Private ingress/egress, VIP suite, food and alcohol, and all the other associated perks. Did they or do they care about the result on the field? I don't know the answer but I do know that the overall gameday experience of VIP living, which includes a football watching party with 20 of your family and friends, doesn't really require much attention to the game itself. Are they watching or are they watching one of the TV's in the suite? Are they watching or socializing? Can they be convinced to give even more to get an A-level coach?

13. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Have scanned the Tower every game & shocked how small the number of boosters are there. Maybe they don’t come out & sit in seats .

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  14. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Why would they? They have AC, a big crowd to entertain, private bathroom, top notch food and alcohol, comfortable chairs and couches, huge TV's. They paid for that because they were DONE sitting in the regular seats....with no cup holder.

15. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    It's cute how you're acting like USC's Administration, generally, and Haden, specifically, were competent. That's a nice fiction.

Seriously? Merely referring to USC as a "left wing liberal arts school" gets your knickers in a twist? You think it's a secret to anyone here?

More importantly, the description is germane to the point he was making about behavior, so your objection is out of place.

DJ4SC likes this.
  16. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019

it's unnecessary

17. Area51Trojan

Nov 3, 2019
    It is reality. If you do not think the political climate on campus is not a factor you're being naive. I keep hoping their love of money wins the day.

18. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Sometimes the truth hurts.

19. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Yes, a "reality' to a deranged mind.

That has nothing to do with football.

Because wasn't USC just revealed to have had rich/well off students using the Athletic department as fake athletes as their entry point to get into USC? Or Swan getting put on as the new AD by USC's biggest booster? let alone the thumb job that was the Coliseum Tower for potential profit alone. Especially personal.

I think the school love of money is clear.

20. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    The proof is in the fruit which it bears.
    You can stammer and stomp your feet but the truth is plain to see.