We are talking about 65 million dollars.....

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Area51Trojan, Nov 2, 2019.

1. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Let's assume your number is correct -- 65 million:

1. Helton's buyout will need to be paid regardless of who you hire. At this point, it's not a matter of if Helton will be fired, but when. So even if you re-hired Sark, you'd still owe Helton.

2. Meyer's contract would be paid for immediately by donors and increased revenue. USC makes 29 million a year from football. There are 18 teams ahead of us on that list. Texas is at the top of that list at 92 million. Oregon makes 40 million a year. Think about that: we are one of the biggest programs out there, and we're settling for a third of what Texas makes. Put a winning coach on the field and we could easily double that, even with our crap TV contract with the stupid Pac 12 network.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/profitable-college-football-programs.htm

3. If USC wins a national championship in the next 5 years, that year alone would bring in huge bucks -- more than 65 million in TV revenue, tickets, concessions, merchandise, and most important, donations.

This is the big time. 65 million bucks is nothing.

2. Area51Trojan

Area51Trojan Junior Member

Nov 2, 2019
    All any Trojan has to remember is our first game next year is vs Alabama. That should be all the motivation to do this absolutely right. Urban is going to need all the time he can get to unfuck this program, recruit and bring in his staff.

The AD knows, I mean he knows in his heart and I sure hope he made it clear as a condition of his taking the job his coaching choice needs to be honored as his reputation and job security is dependent on it. Does anyone really believe he thought Helton was that guy or a guy like Urban? Does anyone believe that all of these people in charge are so ignorant they are not paying attention to every talking head, their supporters, alumni and donors?

We have fucked around on 3 hires ( although I sort of didn't mind Lane as he was perfect for the situation) and they know if they do another we might as well Helton and 90% graduation rates ( because no one is leaving for the NFL)

It's the money more than Urban's reputation. In the 24 hour news cycle what happened at Ohio State is long gone. His contract would have provisions and watchdogs. The real question is what if he doesn't want USC at the end of the day? Don't anyone say Bob Stoops, please.

qqqqqqqman and uscjrl98 like this.
  3. Area51Trojan

Nov 2, 2019
    Agreed. By the last filing Helton was making 3.4M but it was hard to determine the rest of the staff as the AD position was 1.6M. I am thinking the buyout is between 8-11M as the last year is uses a rollover with a substantial discount.

If he opts for a lump sum we pay it but usually for tax reasons they want it annually and can work somewhere else on our dime.

We're guessing what UM would command based on his OSU pay but his staff will probably command more than we paid Heltons.

The sooner we fire Helton the better for all concerned. We can move quickly to secure him or have a number 2 choice in the pipeline. It also is better for the remaining coaches to find landing spots. The season is lost but considering what we're paying I hope they fight hard for their players.

I imagine just talking to UM will freeze a lot of potential recruits in place.

4. Area51Trojan

Nov 2, 2019
    He is NOT right. He hates California and his alma mater for more political reasons than makes any sense. I have my own problems with the school, its lust for money and burgeoning bureaucracy but when it comes to football historically donors/supporters/boosters have ponied up. We did it every year for Pete, we finally built the new MC and the Grey Lady got her face lift and we're learning not to hire 1970's era football players as AD's.
    Unlike FFT I believe in our battle cry, we fight on! We will get this done.

Troy70, qqqqqqqman, SCBIGTIME and 2 others like this.
  5. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    agreed

6. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    It might be. We were hearing numbers like $15 mil at the end of last season, but we never could get a confirmed amount. I suspect that the $8-11 mil number could be correct.

Regardless, they need to bite the bullet and pay it.

7. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Regardless of Helton's buyout it has to be done. If you notice, Helton is on his best behavior saying the same bullshit because he does not want to jeopardize his buyout or get fired for cause.
    Now the next thought, I remember the commentators discussing Dak Prescott's contract negotiation during the Cowboy's game. They were in awe about why it was taking so long and with each passing game, he was demonstrating increasing value thus increasing his next contract value.
    With this reasoning, I can see Urban or Stoops or any next potential coach knowing that the leverage falls in their favor compensation wise with each passing game. I am not saying Urban will be our next coach, but inside he must be thinking he is definitely in the catbird's seat if and when the university comes calling. Urban knows that the university needs him more then he needs the university. The same with Stoops or any other high profile coach. It just continues to get worse, cut the cord already and salvage what you can!
    Fight On!

8. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Not to nitpick, and I’m not sure who you are talking to, because quote function is there for a reason, but if you are speaking to Area 51, I would absolutely say he knows more about this situation than some hack, click bait trolling writer who is so well informed he doesn’t even know that we still have UCLA on the schedule.

TheRealAirbns and Area51Trojan like this.
  9. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Thanks for confirming that you don’t know. He’s in the neighborhood of $3.5-$4M a year through 2023. That’s roughly $14M to $16M. And the OP doesn’t know the verbiage in his contract, what he can be terminated for, or what kind of buyout is in it. But sure, speculate away without having read his contract. That’s the sunk money, nothing you can do about it. If you’re throwing in the new coach’s salary, it makes no sense since you were going to pay that to Helton anyway.

The buyout is in the range of $14-16M. Do it and move on.

Ccoralles likes this.
  10. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    They said the same thing about Sample and Nikias, and yet both poured money into the athletics department when they saw a clear ROI.

I agree the administration prioritizes academic rankings over football rankings. But the #1 thing they prioritize is revenue and donations. Our leadership epitomizes the widespread descent of higher learning into some weird combo of greed and social justice ideology.

The biggest danger to USC football is not that we'll refuse to spend money, but that we'll do it in a way that continues to marginalize and alienate the average fan.

11. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I wasn’t really offering an opinion on the “ buyout”. I was just saying that you bringing up a USA Today clickbait article authored by someone who doesn’t know we still have to play UCLA doesn’t do much to prove your contention that USA Today knows more about the situation than Area 51 because I’m willing to bet every cent of my vast fortune that Area 51 knows we still have to play UCLA.

No clue what you meant by I was confirming that I don’t know? The only thing I said was that like Area 51, I’m 100% certain that we also have UCLA left on the schedule

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    DADMoyock and TheRealAirbns like this.
  12. SeattleTrojan

Nov 3, 2019
    Wasn’t replying to you Blem but to 51

13. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Keep politics off this board, please.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  14. Area51Trojan

Nov 3, 2019
    Cite a source or you're talking out your ass! So you went from citing a "source" that listed " unknown" to a variance of almost 23%. Yeah, thanks for clearing that up. But through all this we are basically saying the exact same thing, it's a lot of money and it needs to be paid. No-one has seen his contract because as we all know we're a private school. Again, the highest paid employee in 2018 made 3.32 million from USC. I doubt that was Max. Sure there could be other revenue streams but that would be true of any coach in any sport.

TheRealAirbns and uscjrl98 like this.
  15. GLA4USC

GLA4USC Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Excellent summation.

16. SeattleTrojan

Nov 3, 2019
    I’m grumpy this morning, but yes, we agree that it needs to be done. What I disagreed with is the $65M figure. The sunk cost is Helton’s buyout, which we are all just speculating about, but in the neighborhood of $14-16M. That’s it. The cost of the new coach’s salary shouldn’t be calculated into your $65M figure unless you’re talking about the increase over what Helton’s making. I’m guessing an extra $3-4M a year will get us a top coach. UM made close to $8M.

17. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    $65M ??

Ok, you must be trying to lure someone in, so you can throw out your hidden numbers that you used and make you look smart.

Like, are you thinking we also lose our $42M horse...that he must also go with Helton and we’d have to buy a new one?

Buyouts aren’t done at full salary....no way.

Anyway, pay the man. Just go.

18. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Just pay Urban