We are done

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by SCFan82, Dec 18, 2018.

1. We are done
    SCFan82

SCFan82 Member

Dec 18, 2018
    After tonight’s loss, any hope of even an NIT bid just faded into the sunset. Enfield has lost this team. Stupid selfish play. No defense whatsoever and bickering among players and coaches. 18% from 3 point range and they shot 28 of them. Enfield, I think it’s time to go inside and stop jacking 3s. And an insistence on playing zone. If you are gonna give up drives to the basket anyways, you might as well play man and expose the bad defenders and hold them accountable. Plus rebounding suffers because guys lose sight of who they are supposed to box out. These guys think they can just show up and win. No one is working hard on the floor, and enfields technical puts blame on the refs instead of holding the players responsible. Stop complaining and start coaching.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Merlin4SC and Rodgarnay51 like this.

2. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Like I've said before, the 2019-2020 season will be the biggest boom or bust season in USC basketball history. After seeing this Santa Clara team hold a USC squad full of 4/5 stars to 18% on 3 point shooting, I'm leaning towards bust. Maybe no Bennie next year will change the situation.

uscjrl98 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  3. SCFan82

SCFan82 Member

Dec 18, 2018
    This is not a great team. I fully understand that. But the level of effort and the arrogance of the players are a huge problem that enfield and hart have not addressed. Players that we expected to step up are not improving (boatwroght and rakocevik) and the refusal to get Mathews the ball is frustrating. Instead we get a streaky usher shooting 15 shots 0-5 on threes and Thornton shooting 9 3s with ZERO assists. These guys are making it hard to run consistent offense because they hold the ball, so there is no movement. And enfield is just letting this happen.

4. norcalsurfer

Dec 18, 2018
    I think Rak is definitely improved. Bennie's NBA stock (if there was one) is dropping every passing week. At the rate he is going, he might join Shabazz Muhammad in China.

Usher's 3 pt shooting was cringe but Thornton was only 2-9 from the 3 pt line, not exactly great either. Plus Usher was the only player hustling (that one dunk where he went in the air was nuts).

One frustrating part with Enfield is actually back to the Vanderbilt game when Vandy's star PG Garland had 4 fouls with 8 minutes and Vandy's coach foolishly put him on the court. You would think okay go up tempo on Garland to draw the foul and foul out Vandy's best player. But nope that never happened and SC ended up losing a tight game.

This is USC's 4th straight loss. They haven't won a game in over 3 weeks.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  5. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Dec 19, 2018
    The players are playing exactly how they were recruited and how they are coached. Enfield is pure garbage as a coach but the reason why blue chips want to play for him is his reputation that he will let the players do exactly what they want to do on the court and they know he will not sit them down for bad play. Who wouldn't want to play for a guy like that? The thing is, he has been that way as a coach for as long as he has been a coach, but because his smoke and mirrors are so good, the fans keep thinking "next year", and then "the year after that". He's worse than Helton on his best day.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Merlin4SC and Troy70 like this.
  6. SCFan82

SCFan82 Member

Dec 19, 2018
    NorCal,
    NorCal,

I respect your opinions but with Rak, he’s rebounding better, but he’s not able to get points off those rebounds. He’s missing a bunch of point blank shots and not finishing around the rim. I think he’s frustrated because there’s not one guard on this team who can run pick and roll. And he played with best set up guard in college ball last year in McLaughlin.

This team has the talent to at least compete with teams like Nevada, oklahoma, TCU, not to mention Santa Clara, but with this coaching they look so overmatched.

7. SCFan82

SCFan82 Member

Dec 19, 2018
    I agree. But if our admin won’t get rid of Helton, enfield is here to stay for a long long time.

Trojack, can you tell me what Kevin hart actually does? He’s on the sideline jumping/yelling and the players basically ignore him. Last year, with all the athletes and length we had, it was ridiculous that we played his stupid ass “Syracuse” zone. This year we don’t even have the same quality of athlete nor the mentality to play that pourous zone.

8. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Agree on Rak...I've said he's been the best player this season...

At least Shabazz played 6 seasons in the NBA, Boatwright? well, he might not even get a sniff from the Chinese...

9. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Dec 19, 2018
    I had forgotten USC played last night. I probably forgot because this game has no effect on any tournament chances.

Even if USC had won, their only chance to make the tournament would be to win the PAC 12 tournament. Any at large hope was gone after the TCU game.
    Although USC lost, nothing has changed. Their only tournament hope is the same, win the PAC 12 tournament.

The PAC 12 season has little meaning, since USC is only playing for PAC 12 tournament seeding, which will likely include the extra game in the 9-12 seeding range.

10. RRDub

RRDub Junior Member

Dec 19, 2018
    The coach sucks....no further amount of deep analysis is necessary. His biggest success to date is hiring next year's recruiting class.

11. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Dec 19, 2018
    I agree. Like other Pat Haden hires, Enfield is like herpes, the gift that keeps on giving. His contract was just extended to 2023 so yes, it's highly doubtful anybody wants to pay for the buyout.

It's actually Jason Hart and I don't have a fucking clue what he does unless he's Enfield's bag man.

Troy70 likes this.
  12. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Well, Galen has foot long hotdogs with Mac & cheese upstairs. Brutal watching team so looking to eat them

13. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Dec 19, 2018
    UCLA is losing by 27 in the 2nd half against an unranked team. You guys can maybe have Alford next year?

14. norcalsurfer

Dec 19, 2018
    ucla needs to win. The longer Alford stays the further ucla declines.

15. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Was "hiring" a Freudian slip?

16. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Unfortunately I was right about Thornton. The drop off from McLaughlin to him is like the Grand Canyon. Going from a really good point guard to one who is completely inept.

Apart from a general lack of hustle which is Enfield's fault, the team has no point guard. It's tough to win without one.

Does anyone know what McLaughlin is up to these days?

17. norcalsurfer

Dec 21, 2018
    He is in the G league with the Long Island Nets. Had a good game yesterday with 32 points and 6 steals.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  18. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Dec 21, 2018

Hard to believe he started at Duke for most of his freshman season.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  19. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Dec 21, 2018
    I was listening to Don McLean yesterday (Petros show) address what is wrong with SC and FUCLA.

He was not kind to Alford who just lost at home to Belmont and to Cincinnati by 30. :) He did not like Alford's excuse that one of the issues is the new rule with limiting practice time - McLean said all coaches have that and he never heard that given as an excuse before. He said the Ruins gave up and showed no fight against the Bearcats. Blame to Alford.

He said the issue with SC is finding a replacement for the game management and leadership of McLaughlin. SC is trying to find themselves.

McLaughlin was CAE's first big recruiting coup as he was also offered by FUCLA - we hadn't won many head-to-head prior to that big recruiting win. He may be to small to play in the NBA but is is my favorite Trojan and was a great college point guard.

Thorton may be a 5* but if he played up to that, he would have never left Duke.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  20. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Thanks. That's great to hear. I think he deserves to make an NBA roster. He is a very smart, clutch player. One of my favorite Trojan hoopsters.