Watch NCAA Track Championship, ESPN2

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by Canyon, Jun 9, 2021.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Mixed results yesterday, definitely some disappointments. I thought Katnik would have a better day. He qualified but barely. Our 4x1 team finished 10th, didn't qualify for Friday's finals. Herron did not advance in the 400. Bultman finished 11th in the hammer.

The 4x4 team did well, finishing 1st in their heat, 2nd overall, setting up an exciting final for Friday. Jewett was part of that team and he also qualified in the 800, 5th best time overall. Cameron Samuel also in that group qualified 3rd overall in the 400H and was an auto-qualifier for Friday's final.

Davonte Burnett was one of just 6 men to qualify for the finals in both the 100 and 200. Honestly, he's lucky he qualified on time only, for the 200. He should have been 2nd, an auto-qualifier in his heat, but a somewhat sluggish finish and NO lean at the line were lame. Definitely not a hallmark of this team.

Overall, an interesting day in Oregon. 10 finishers in the 10k broke the former meet record. 10! Dever, the winner, broke a 42-year old record. Impressive considering the weather. LSU and USC are tied for having the most athletes qualifying for a final with 6 each. However, USC currently has ZERO team points while LSU leads overall with 24. Bummer to see former Trojan Ayden Owens at 2nd place in the decathlon, now competing for Michigan.

Trackdude is right. While there were some great performances yesterday, these meets should be held in weather-enhancing locations. The sprinters were not that speedy and many were reporting aches and pains typical of colder weather. Of course, this suits Whoregon just fine, but in particular punishes the kids just about anywhere south and east of west Texas. Friday is expected to be worse with a 60% chance of rain.

Bring on the Women!

yah20002 and Canyon like this.
  3. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Yeah Sista VBall, the wet, rainy, cold weather affected times, throws, jumps. Dang, the meet should be held in dryer, warmer towns and stadiums. Arkansas, LSU, Oregon are so deep. Our boys did OK, don't have that high expectations. If our boys take 3rd or 4th, I'm good. If we place higher than the Duckies, now that will make me very happy. Yep, I will be glued tonight for the women competition. Our girls should do well. Go Girls...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    The Women of Troy are off to a great start! Won their 4x1 heat, auto-qualifiers for the finals and with their season-best time. Tee Tee looking great today. Decent weather, no rain, but some wind.

Canyon, I'm with you....a win over Whoregon is always good but on the ladies side.....beat those effing tigers!

Canyon likes this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Word of the day so far in Eugene......fall. I don't think I've ever seen so many sprinters go down in such a short period of time. 2 for Arkansas, one in the 4x1 and one just now in the hurdles. The 1500 runner for Furd, a favorite, less than 5 yards from the finish and face plants. Another falls just at the finish line in another 1500 heat. 2 or 3 falling in the steeplechase. Just, damn.

Canyon likes this.
  6. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    Good to see the women advance so many, but Roberts 400 was not her usual self. On the men’s side we needed to see our guys match or come close to their PRs, particularly in the throws. Very frustrating.

And vball, you’re right! What is with these runners going down like this? I don’t think I’ve ever seen something like this before.

Canyon likes this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    Roberts definitely not at her peak self. But 13 women advancing to finals, twice as many as the next closest. A very good day. Also looking like LSU will struggle to claim that Natty. No finalists in the 100 and not competing in the 4x4.

Question for you....I know at high school CIF meets, heat selection is usually random. Is that what happens at NCAA's? It just seemed like USC and LSU ended up together in many of the sprint heats.

Canyon likes this.
  8. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    After seeing USC's 4 x 400 race, I would go with this lineup, Roberts, Constantine, Lear, Yeargin. Good strategy placing 2 of the strongest runners at #3 and #4. Noticed that Constantine in her 400 m race and relay at #4, at the 150 mark, she tensed up, loss form and struggled with the final 80 m kick. Lear and Yeargin have the stronger form, more relaxed and stronger kick.

We need to counter TX AM and Florida #4 runners, its their best and strongest runners. With Yeargin at #4, it would give the team a better chance beating TX AM and Florida's #4 runners.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    I would love to hear Coach's strategy. I've often scratched my head looking at race order sometimes. Mu is the outlier no matter what. If she's "on", no matter where you put her, she's a game-changer. So is it better to build a big lead or put the race on your #4 if you're behind? I think Yeargin will be in that spot regardless so I'm hoping she runs as well in the finals.

10. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    Yeah, I was wondering about that. I thought they would at least sort out the teams and runners by time into heats and then go random. I thought I heard Stones say the lane seeding being used was 6,7,5,8... which is rather different. It comes down to: I don't know. ‍♂️

11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Overall 5th....not bad honestly considering the sketchy field performances. Isaiah Jewett with a PR to take the 800 was the highlight. Cameron Samuel had a PR, taking 3rd in the 400H. Davonte earned points.....but wasn't close to a PR in either the 100 or 200. Not sure what happened there. USC claimed 4th in the 4x4. I'm fairly certain that was a SR.

I'll say this....God forbid Caryl leaves any time soon but if we are looking for a replacement, Duane Ross from Carolina A&T should be at the top of the list. What a coach!

On to the ladies' finals today. Here's to the Women of Troy leading with the shield and bringing home another trophy!

Canyon likes this.
  12. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Playing the "what if" game, if our field people had equaled their season's best they would have accounted for 36pts instead of the 2 they did get. Ouch.

yah20002 likes this.
  13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Yikes. That would have put us in the #2 spot ahead of the floats....still short of an amazing performance by LSU.

14. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Yes, yikes! Yeah, LSU was too deep.

15. USCHusbandUCLAWife

USCHusbandUCLAWife Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Did USC women just win?

16. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Yes!

17. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    What a day. I had to record the NCAAs....was working as clerk of the course for the CIF D1 SS finals. Met some great athletes and really great young people today. I was having a nice conversation with Kennedi Porter from Etiwanda....USC came up....and she casually drops that her uncle coaches at USC. None other than Quincy Watts. Kennedi is headed to UNLV to run and I'll be watching. She is terrific! She won the 100 and 200 today.

Just finished watching the NCAA's. The Women of Troy really set themselves up at prelims. Today was almost a breeze. Everyone contributed and their hard work paid off. Nothing better than beating both LSWho and the floats on their home track in their new stadium, lol. I saw a video on Tee Tee's instagram. Sounds like there was some trash talking this week....Oregon athletes making an upside down "V" sign to mock. Guess who's laughing now?

Anna Cockrell is a stud. She deserves all the accolades.

Trackdude....Kennedi said her dad ran track at USC. Obviously his last name is Porter. My guess is he would have run mid to late 80's? Any idea?

18. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    I’d guess George Porter out of Lompoc if my memory serves me. Maybe early 90s?

I’ve been updating the TF website for the past hour. Our women really did set themselves up nicely for today. I’m a happy camper.

19. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    You had the years correct. George was a senior when Quincy was a freshman.