Washington St Releases Players Supporting Players Movement

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by CFB Fan, Aug 2, 2020.

2. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Aug 2, 2020
    Lots of contradictory information about this out there right now.

One player on the team stated this was false. Other reports have said the players are not opting out over the boycott threat, but instead over Covid-19 concerns, and that the team has said that if they are opting out of the season, they can't be with the team, which means no conditioning, no lifting, and no access to the locker room, but they are still on scholarship.

Edit after my initial post: Here's a good thread on it: https://twitter.com/JonahJavad/status/1290079433089400832?s=20

From this, it does indeed look like Washington State is doing what it can to distance itself from this movement.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    I prefer decisive action over waffling every single time even if I disagree with the outcome. This way, everyone knows what they are dealing with. Props to Wazzu for making it clear.

4. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Aug 2, 2020
    And after all of this, here's an update from Jon Wilner: "Update on #WSU situation: No players have been cut, one (Kassidy Woods) has opted out for health reasons, and everyone else is expected for team activities tomorrow."

5. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    There is no way you can paint this as anything but disruptive to the team. IMO WSU is doing the right thing. The players are more than welcome to spend their weekends at CHOP.

6. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Aug 2, 2020
    WSU will get a lot of respect for standing up to these demands....

I hope the rest of the Pac follows suit as well....

Good riddance....

SCBIGTIME, Troken, Merlin4SC and 3 others like this.
  7. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Aug 3, 2020
    I realize it is very different but it does bring to mind that time in the early 80's when those four highly rated basketball recruits came to USC and tried to start a union or something similar. George Raveling was the coach and gave them an opportunity to return to the team with no punishments and only Rich Grande accepted the offer. I occasionally wonder what happened to the others. Does anyone out there remember more of the story?

8. Rojas4sc

Rojas4sc Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020

9. Rojas4sc

Rojas4sc Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Bo Kimble & Hank Gathers transferred to LMU. They had great careers at LMU; including the horrific events to Hank Gathers.Tom Lewis went to Pepperdine I believe.

10. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-05-13-sp-6015-story.html

11. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Go cougs

Troken, Merlin4SC and gubo&palanka like this.
  12. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    So wait, I don't get it. The OP claims WSU released players for siding w/ the movement, Erik corrects it later and says no players have been released.

Today, an article comes out stating WSU has not released any players, for any reason. In that article, HC Rolo is quoted as saying he's proud of the players in the movement taking a stand:

"I'm proud of our players and all the Pac-12 student-athletes for using their platform, especially for matters they are passionate about. WSU football student-athletes who have expressed support for the #WeAreUnited group will continue to be welcome to all team-related activities"

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29592558/washington-state-ad-says-kassidy-woods-removal-team-activities-not-linked-pac-12-unity-group

And yet, you still have posters on this thread saying "Good job Wazzu!" "Wazzu is standing up to this movement", "Good Riddance", etc.

Comical...you can't make this stuff up. Talk about jumping on a snippet of false information, being corrected by the site mod, then still doubling-down on your silly, delusional narrative...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    aimeedee and 28thstreet like this.
  13. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    If a player is going to stand on health concerns then it starts today. No workouts, no gym, no practices. You can't be selective about protecting yourself from the virus. The virus is here now. If you are making these demands then follow them. WSU is right to say if you are concerned about your health then stay home and away from our football program. You can't have it both ways.

SCBIGTIME, Troken and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  14. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Sure, but that's the not the title of the OP, nor what many posters claimed.

If player wants to opt out, he should be out. There are policies that dictate this - there are liabilities involved. However, if Rolo did in fact mention that it was support of the movement that changed the arrangement, he'd better hire a lawyer...

15. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Much more likely that the academically challenged Wazzu football player(s) didn't grasp the policy that was being laid down for them and then misrepresented it on social media. But it's okay -- at least we know old people don't belong on Twitter, pace the junior Yary, and we have the enlightened young to explain things for us.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  16. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Again, none of this pertains to the OP or the posts of others claiming Wazzu was taking a stand against the Unity movement or kicking players to the curb.

One player's misinterpretation of opt-out policy is not newsworthy; a school taking a stand against the Unity movement would be, and I've yet to see that...in spite of the punditry here falsely alleging this to have happened and championing a falsehood (despite being provided factual evidence to the contrary).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  17. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 5, 2020
    The point is these players demands are all political. Had the Floyd incident not occurred, starting riots, and giving attention to BLM and their demands. These football players would be anxious to play. If they would have been asked "do you want to play the season even though the virus is out there" they not only would have said yes. They would have played the whole schedule and on time without any demands. They are being influenced and pressured to make these demands. I believe they would have been playing football on schedule, without demands, as usual otherwise even with the virus if they had their choice in the matter.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  18. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 5, 2020
    That's a pretty cynical view of things. And again, clearly showcases the divide between the "entertainment" factor - the fake "love" we show the players when they entertain us, but how quickly we dismiss/reduce them as soon as they do something other than "play ball".

And for those that think this is either just a money-grab, or a misguided sentimental reaction to BLM, below is an article from one of the player leaders (a white kid):

https://www.registerguard.com/sports/20200803/former-sheldon-high-oregon-ducks-o-lineman-cody-shear-emerges-as-leader-among-pac-12-players-demanding-change

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  19. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Look I agree with some of the concerns of the players. The health issues. I agree with the need to discuss change to things such as injuries that occur while playing. Some of these other demands are completely political and unrealistic. As for White players supporting the demands, that article doesn't address all the points. I also won't go into the political climate right now but we know there is a lot of "shame for White privilege" going on right now. Some of these demands don't belong in college football.

20. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 5, 2020
    As for these players, they need to be careful. They are to young and weak to go straight into pro football from HS. Imagine the hits Kedon took being delivered by pros in their prime. He would be dead. Most kids don't get drafted. They get 4-5 years of free preparation to strengthen their bodies and learn they game from skilled coaches before they go pro and if they don't get drafted they have a degree to fall back on. All for free. Now if they don't take advantage of their education that's on them. There's no other place they are going to get this much of an opportunity.