Was Clem's onside kick a good idea?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by scdg71, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Was Clem's onside kick a good idea?
    scdg71

scdg71 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    They could have put Bama near midfield which would help them throw a hail mary. I would have squibbed it and taken my chances with the Bama return

2. Vex55

Vex55 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    I would have kicked it OB and let them have it on their own 35.

3. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    That was far more risky than a typical squib kick near the sidelines. Though one second is tough to manage.

4. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Does the clock start if the receiver does not fall on it? If so, then a bouncing kick, recovered by the receiver would have a been a good choice.

5. TrojanMike

TrojanMike Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    I thought it was a horrible idea. If a Bama defender recovered it on the ground, like the Clemson K did, they would have 1 second for a 45 yard hail mary. Insanity.

6. 323TROJANS

323TROJANS Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    More glaring to me, was the fact that the front line for bama only made a half-hearted effort (if that) to attempt the recovery of the onside kick.

7. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    I think it was a great idea. I don't think Saban thought they would do that... the way the players reacted they didn't.
    One second left, if some one touches the ball and they are not yet down, the clock starts. Hard to stop it in less than a second.
    As it was, the Alabama players stood there while the Clemson players surrounded the ball and the kicker fielded it on his knees after it went the required ten yards.
    No chance for Saban and the Tide to do anything but weep.

Great win for Clemson!

8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    It was a very smart decision IMO, for the following reasons;

1. I doubt that was intended as an onside kick, it looked more like a very short squib kick intended to prevent any return, they just happened to fall on it before Bama did.

2. Clemson was fully expecting it to run out the one second that was left on the clock when they kicked, which would have happened had a player not fallen on the ball.
    Had it touched any Bama player short of him falling on it, the game is over.

3. Because they kicked it directly at the closest Alabama player, any attempt at returning the kick (unlike with a normal kickoff or a squib kick) would have no blockers and no room to maneuver, as numerous Clemson players would be there at the same time as the ball. For the same reason, the person attempting the return would have little if any opportunity to attempt to lateral (as Miami famously did 8x off of a squib kick, giving them the win over Duke), or to attempt any other type of tricky maneuver when surrounded by Clemson players.

4. I believe it was also intended to catch Alabama off guard, and appeared to do just that. Bama was geared up for a deeper kick, their Hands team (for onside kicks) was not in there, and therefore much more likely for either a Bama player to touch the ball and run out the clock, or a Clemson player to recover the ball beyond the 10 yard mark (which ended up happening). Notice that the guys up front for Bama looked like they were not at all expecting such a kick, and didn't make much of an attempt to get to the football.

I think it was a heads up play by Dabo to minimize the chance of any last second heroics or miracles by Alabama. Don't be surprised if you see a lot more of this.

9. USCsuperFan

USCsuperFan Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    The first thing I thought about when I saw that play was the time Brian Cushing took it to the house on an on-sides kick against Notre Dame. I think it was an unnecessary risk and a squib kick to the sidelines would have been better.

10. Jcanderson69

Jcanderson69 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    I would have had the kicker aim at one of the front row players and kick it as hard as possible.....hopefully they touch it or someone does and the time starts and ball is alive

11. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    It was a good idea & worked perfectly.

12. dblwall

dblwall Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    This... I seem to remember in the late 60's the ruins had a kicker named Zenon Andrusyshn who did exactly that. Drilled a low kick and it bounced off a Trojan and they recovered. [h=1][/h]

13. SC1952

SC1952 Member

Jan 10, 2017
    I would been have more conventional with a hard Squib, but it surprised an unready Bama.

14. 559er

559er Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    What was that idiotic rule that took that on-site kick from us in the Las Vegas Bowl a couple of years ago? Is that rule still on the books, and does it make on side kicks more risky? Could it have applied to Clemson?

15. TrojanLee21

TrojanLee21 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    It was idiotic for one simple reason:

Had a quick thinking Alabama player (be nice, stop laughing) run toward the ball signaling for a fair catch, he is allowed to field even a bouncing/rolling ball.
    Presuming an aggressive Clemson player would have bumped him away, there would have been a 15 yard interference penalty, with Alabama possessing the ball on about the Clemson 30 with 1 second on the clock.

The refs would still be huddled in discussion as you read this.

A long rolling kick forcing an up back to fall on it deep in their territory, or attempt to run with it was a safer choice.

16. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    I believe he can only call a fair catch after one bounce... I could be wrong

17. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Does anyone really think that Dabo Swinney, NC winning coach and unquestionably one of the top coaches in the country made a spontaneous decision to attempt an onside kick in the National Championship game, with one second left on the clock and leading by 4 points with the NC on the line, and did so clueless to the scenarios and risks that you guys are mentioning?

Not a chance. That play was planned, practiced, and perfectly executed, and as such removed any chance that Alabama had to pull one out of their hats, however unlikely that was to happen. Even in the unlikely event that the Alabama did manage to fall on the ball AND keep the one second on the clock, they still faced pulling off a Hail Mary that Clemson knows is coming.

But as it is, it was a brilliant play that slammed the door shut on Alabama's faint hopes of getting a return or one more play of any kind.

18. TrojanWarMachine

TrojanWarMachine Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    I've never seen a kick that slow and the Tigers surrounded, and the Bama guys just let them do it. Maybe they didn't think it was going to make it the 10 yards?

19. 559er

559er Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Found it in the rule book. Fair catch can be used if no bounce or only one bounce off the tee.

"During a free kick a player of the receiving team in position to receive the ball has the same kick-catch and fair-catch protection whether the ball is kicked directly off the tee or is immediately driven to the ground, strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of the ball kicked directly off the tee."

20. CCtrojanfan

CCtrojanfan Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    One second left, game over. Ain't nobody coming back from that.

21. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    It was the perfect call... not only did it win them the game/championship, it was totally unexpected. I mean, look at the Alabama players' reactions, or rather, lack thereof. It caught Saban by surprise! Bloody brilliant!

22. DPforlife

DPforlife Junior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    2 dangers in the way the kick was executed. He hit it so soft, that it easily could have taken a sideways bounce and not gone 10 yards. Would have been a penalty - and Bama would have one untimed down around the Clemson 45 yard line. Same scenario if a Clemson player touched the ball before 10 yards - which the kicker almost did. Either scenario would have given Bama a hail mary opportunity.

23. scdg71

scdg71 Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    "albeit from a greater distance" ... that was the main question of why choose to onside over the other options ... includin the pop fly kicks ... that they had been using.
    I"m 100% TICKLE with the outcome ... Jus sayin ...

24. CCtrojanfan

CCtrojanfan Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    And, never heard anyone call "Clemson" " Clem" before. Might piss off some people.