Victor Blackwell leaves team

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by King of LA, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Victor Blackwell leaves team
    King of LA

King of LA Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014
    According to Adam Maya on twitter, a USC spokesman confirmed that Blackwell is not currently with the team right now because he was been displeased with his playing time. He's missed the past few practices too.

This is ridiculous. If you're not getting any PT, then you should go out and work harder, not quit. I also read on twitter that Juju, Ajene, and G. Farmer stayed longer after practice to get in some extra work with Cody. Maybe Blackwell should have been out there getting some more reps instead of being a baby about it. UNLESS, the reason he isn't playing is because a coach just doesn't like him personally. But I doubt that's the case. Also, the other guys have looked impressive so far this season.

2. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014
    When you see freshman pass you up on the depth chart, when you were recruited by the previous coach, when you've been there so long...the freshman were in 8th grade when you started at SC...it might just be time to hang it up. If you've had the epiphany your contributions just aren't going to be needed...do what you need to to find a new path.

Brice Butler needed a change of scenery...and he's now with the Raiders. It's unfortunate, I wish Blackwell could have transferred in the Spring...and be contributing to Eastern Washington or Portland State... Good luck to him, wish him well.

3. gangogi

gangogi Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Damn, players are dropping like flies. How many schollie players are we down to?

4. trojnfn

trojnfn Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014
    With the depth as WR it was just a matter of time before somebody leaves. Is he a RS Jr or Sr and what is he going to do now. ?

5. CCtrojanfan

CCtrojanfan Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014
    He was/ is good. I like him. Not a speed flashy guy like some of the other guys rolling through, but he catches the ball and would have been a good 3rd down receiver or a guy who can keep the chains moving.

6. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Sep 23, 2014
    Lots of potential with Vic but the consistency just never matched. There were times on the practice field (or the spring game) when he looked very dynamic and he definitely has some explosive skills. But then there would be stretches of days where he just didn't show up and that was his biggest issue. I was really hoping he would find a role as a reserve guy with the ability to make a big play but I'm sure he was hoping for more and he started to see a lot of others get time ahead of him.

7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Agree that Victor would disappear on HJ sometimes then make a play. When he catch a pass he could get some yds.

8. HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014

Blackwell has talent, and could be a solid contributor with reps on the field.

But he's not one of the 3 or 4 best WRs on this team.

And that's a tough situation.

I actually like the way Blackwell looked against Fresno St. in the first game.

But his situation reminds me of Travon Patterson's a few years ago. Patterson had talent, but was at SC for 3 or 4 years with sparse playing time. He transferred to Colorado.

I hated to see it . . . but I understood.

I wish Blackwell the best of luck, and hope he finds a program where he will be able to make a solid contribution every Saturday.

Most importantly, after 4 years of effort, I hope he gets his SC degree.

9. TrojanHoarse

TrojanHoarse Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Great quote by coach Sarkisian about the situation (as "reported" by Wolf) “He’s frustrated with his playing time and we’re a little frustrated with his commitment to the program.”

10. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014
    At this level you have to have that desire to compete. Go all out every play, in a WRs case, do little things like downfield block, run good routes, contribute on special teams. You just can't show up. I use Danny Woodhead as an example. Not real fast, certainly not big, but he blocked the hell out of the backfield, saved Philip Rivers a bunch of times, and hit it in there to make yards when called and caught the ball when thrown to. The Chargers will miss him big time.

11. Lomarq4SC

Lomarq4SC Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Remember when Wittek, Blackwell, and DAT were coming in together as 3 best friends? Now all are gone or didn't come at all.
    Oh in the LoyalTrojan vs G battle, I just picked a side. LT I'm a Raider fan and member of said ethnic group. You got a problem, hit me up punk.

12. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Wouldn't you like to talk to a kid like him, advise him to be a special teams demon, volunteer for every 2nd and 3rd level task, ask the QB to throw after practice, be right in front of the coaches 24/7? Given the violent nature of football, almost assuredly your name will get called. Ask the coaches to give me a shot at DB, placeholder, gunner on kick offs. Anything.

13. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Sep 23, 2014
    There's only one football and a lot of guys to pass it to.

Perhaps we should re-emphasize recruitment of guys in the trenches because we seem obsessed with taking as many skills players as possible.

14. Touchdown for USC

Touchdown for USC Junior Member

Sep 24, 2014
    What happened to "there is no "i" in team"?

15. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Sep 24, 2014
    Blackwell's dad met with Sarkisian for several minutes after practice ended and Sark said afterwards that there is no change in Victor's status. There is no word on what the situation will be moving forward.

16. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Sep 24, 2014
    So sorry to see him leave. But as the saying goes, don't let the doorknob hit ya where the good lord split ya! These guys have to understand, it isn't about them, it's about the team

17. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Situations like this are never good and I wish that if he was going to leave that he would have done so a lot earlier for his sake.
    Now he has to finish this semester and possibly the school year at USC when he could have transferred over the summer and been in a new program making a name for himself there.
    I wish him nothing but the best going forward though..

18. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 24, 2014
    I don't understand players leaving in the middle of the season, which has happened a few times. There is always a chance they would get more playing time due to injuries to players that are in front of them. If they want to transfer they can do it after the regular season ends. I guess the emotions override logic.

19. JC SOXX

JC SOXX Junior Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Well this QB will only throw to Nelson or Allen out of the backfield 2 feet away.

20. WestSideTrojanFan

WestSideTrojanFan Junior Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Question about his scholarship situation. If a player leaves the team in midseason, when does his scholarship terminate? Unless it still goes to the end of the academic year, Blackwell could have a real problem graduating. SC is obviously a very expensive school and I wonder if his family could afford to cover a year's tuition, or even one semester plus room, board, etc. Did this guy make a serious mistake?

21. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Goodbye.

Maybe he could go to UCLA. That would make both teams better.

22. Jcanderson69

Jcanderson69 Junior Member

Sep 25, 2014
    If I'm Sark I draw a line in the sand now, if he isn't back by Monday, he's off the team permanently.