Vic So'oto on being open, honest, and violent

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Mar 3, 2020.

2. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Mar 3, 2020
    A couple quotes that clearly stood out from So'oto (though they're all pretty good).

"The forward pass wasn’t invented until years after football was. The roots of this game is violent, physical front play with a ball and somebody going to tackle him. And so I feel like with all this Air Raid and playing in space and all this, the true roots of this game, the only thing that’s left is defensive line, offensive line, and violent football up front. Whether the guy has the ball or not, if the guy fakes like he has it, he’s going to the ground. If he’s a sliver of grass inside the lines, he’s going to get hit. If he’s up off the ground, he’s going to get hit. And that’s the type of football I’ve been raised on, the type of football I know this place has played, and the type of football that, when you enter the Coliseum, has to happen over and over and over again, for it to go back to where it was.”

"Seeing the landscape of recruiting right now and seeing where players are going out of the state of California is a travesty. And that’s something that is priority No. 1 in recruiting, is to get the right guys here from this state to represent USC to go out there and kick ass in the Coliseum.”

3. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    I'm excited to see how the new D coaches get the players to reverse what we saw on the field last year.
    How much tackling improves, turn overs, getting to the QB... get the offense back on the field.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  4. 1980trojan

1980trojan Points Member

Mar 3, 2020
    I'd like to see the defense not get pushed around and give up 8 yard quarterback sneaks.

Fight On!

BigRex, gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Bama will be the test

6. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020
    People didn’t want to hear it when I said this guys is a beast.

This is pretty funny from Trojan Talk with Jordan Moore and Shaun Cody

When asked what he[So’oto] looks for in a defensive lineman, coach said, “The mindset of playing violent.” “Like...this game, is a violent game.” “They[DL guys] may walk around looking pretty like Shaun Cody but when it’s time to get down to it...ya got to get violent.” “....But the biggest thing for me is they have to be violent.”

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  7. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020
    I am currently living and working in Charlottesville. What he says about "the standard" is what Mendenhall preaches to his football team and his coaching staff. As Vic notes, UVA has gone from 2-10 to the Orange Bowl. They are going from recruiting 2-3* kids and starting to get 4* kids. Vic helped bring in a 4* DL to UVA who is already one of the best DL in the ACC. SC has been missing "the standard" for some time. If the new coaches are able to bring that sense of how kids look at football every minute of every day, we are heading in the right direction.

8. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Hope they're violent....between the whistles. IIRC some of Mendenhall's BYU teams had a rep for being dirty.

OTOH, playing dirty is a "force multiplier" in the parlance of the military. It ups the intimidation factor for a defense that may not be as talented as its opponent.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    It’s really remarkable how many big time kids Virginia was in on with So’oto leading the way.

Troy70, gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  10. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020
    I think containment was a lost art for last year's team too. That has to be fixed.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020
    How embarrassing was that?!!

12. The Real LordMo

The Real LordMo Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Sigh...propaganda at this point. But our talent level is subpar at best. While we have some talented skill players on the roster that is about it. Our lines on both both sides of the ball is no better than a mediocre WAC conference team.
    So, when Alabama shows up I'm sure history will repeat itself and we will be dominated on both sides of the ball just like last time. Slovis will be bullied into multiple turnovers plus lock into a couple targets against elite defensive talent. It is going to be ugly folks!
    We are a shell of a program and it will probably take a decade to turn it around. Hate to say it but what we need is another subpar season and another humiliating recruiting season to kick Helton to the curb.
    My guess is even that wont do it with the insane contract that was given to him. Clearly, USC has no clue how to compete and field a CFP contending type team. Orlando had all types of talent at Texas and his defenses were average at best...and got progressively worse. Time will tell but skip the rah-rah. We need some results plain and simple. I dont have much faith as long as Helton remains. Hoping Urban Meyer shows up one day soon...until then expect mediocrity at best. The recruits know it and many top players avoid us. How many players you see improving or look liked they been coached up? This is right up there with the Tollner/Smith/Hackett eras...hell worse because Helton makes those guys look like good coaches. So skip the rah-rah and tuff talk. Prove it on the field!

13. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Mar 5, 2020
    A) We underperformed last season, and were a mediocre PAC-12 team, so your evaluation of talent is what is sub-pare.
    B) How, exactly, do you think this team should "Prove it on the field!", in February? I agree, and so does everyone else on this board, that we haven't won anything, but I think it's safe to say the the philosophy of the defensive coaches is already an improvement. At this point there's nothing else to talk about.
    C) Living in Houston I paid attention to O's defenses here at UH, and they were solid. One or two down years does not a career make, otherwise we'd have to say that the last couple of years with Carroll were sub-par, so does that mean that everything that came before is forgotten?

14. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Damn, and I thought I was the site-cynic/pessimist!

I get what you're saying, but as ojai mentioned, we're in March. We'll see how practices go and we'll be relying on Erik and some of the site practice-attendees to see if what's being preached is practiced.

I'm with you that all this propaganda gets old real quick. I'm reluctant to read all these position-coach pieces for that reason ("What do you expect them to say"), but I give credit when credit is due and these guys are definitely talking a big "aggressive" game. They've thrown down the gauntlet, now it's time to see if it's all just bullshit.

I give them a pass on propaganda in March, but I'll hold them to that talk once Spring practices get going. If we go back to "Shells & Shorts"...I'm done.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  15. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Mar 5, 2020
    So far it's just talk...but you have to like what you are hearing.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  16. redeye

redeye Points Member

Mar 5, 2020
    I like a violent defense. One that would beat up "Ralphie" at 1/2 time in Colorado!

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  17. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Mar 5, 2020
    No. The 2020 recruiting class was subpar at best. The talent level at USC is still pretty strong, with four and five star kids dominating both sides of the line of scrimmage. A three star player is an average college player. How many of USC's starting players are three star?

18. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Want players who will eat That buffalo at half time

redeye likes this.
  19. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Mar 5, 2020
    When SC had DL with 2 AA Cody & Patterson the D was a NC team. Hope our new coach can coach like their coach, Coach O

20. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Raw. Buffalo tartare