Vic So’oto reportedly will be USC’s new DL coach

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Feb 12, 2020.

1. MiketoBush61

MiketoBush61 Points Member

Feb 12, 2020
    All of these new coach hirings are, at first glance, a positive thing. However, it begs the question...If you fill your kitchen with the freshest and best ingredients and spices but the head chef can't cook, how good is the meal going to be?

ConquerorSC, gubo&palanka and Troy70 like this.
  2. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Feb 12, 2020
    There is some sense in that, but here’s my view. If I remember right, he was involved in the Offense more than he maybe should have been, before hiring Harrell. He gives Harrell complete control of the O. While it wasn’t perfect, it was still a heck of a step up, even with all the injuries.

If he does the same thing with Orlando and the D??? We are probably looking at better results there as well. Mix in what appears to be HUGE upgrades in recruiting, and even on the coaching side??? You gotta figure things are heading in a pretty good direction, than we all thought not so long ago. Let’s hope so.

3. woohit42

woohit42 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    One thing the defensive hires have in common is they're all tough SOBs and believe in hard practices. I can't see them even considering USC unless they've been told that they can run practices the way they want to. I'm looking forward to practice reports.

gubo&palanka, TommyT and 3rd Slide like this.
  4. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    It would be dramatically more ‘edible’ than if the ingredients were of poor quality.

bell, Jim Steele and CrownoftheValley like this.
  5. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Hope is not allowed on this forumn.... actually I think your post would make Garry proud

redeye and Trojan Man 30 like this.
  6. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    We will know in the Spring

ConquerorSC likes this.
  7. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Erik, with the staff now completed, is there still room to bring in Chris Claiborne as a Graduate Assistant? It seems like he would be the cherry on top of an amazing sundae that was just served up by Bohn and Orlando for us USC fans.

TrojanChingon likes this.
  8. Bilbo

Bilbo Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 12, 2020
    Most of you know way more about these new hires on the defensive side than me but just reading the comments of Erik and Greg these new coaches are young , driven and talented with a similar aggressive approach to defensive football and recruiting. Practice hard .. play hard .. recruit hard
    I canno imagine the head coach had anything to do with the hires
    My question .. is staff being assembled for next head coach as it seems the only thing missing is a head coach with these same attributes
    One last note ... hope we can convince CC to join staff as grad assistant.. would be best grad addition since Kenny Norton Jr

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Feb 12, 2020
    You know, I’m kind of a peon in these parts. Not one of the old timers, or wired in people. Gary responded directly to me, on a thread I posted in a couple years back. Kinda geeked out and told my wife he did, and thought it was pretty cool. If you think my post would be Gary-approved??? That more than works for me.

in2nation likes this.
  10. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    For the first time in years I am feeling optimistic.
    Please, Clay, don't F it up.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. usmc007

usmc007 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Great hire and all but until we tackle and cutout the ice cream trucks and turn up the intensity in practice it won’t matter who we hire. Hell I bet Elmo could coach the team with the staff he has now and be able to attend fundraisers.

12. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Spring camp will be open to see ?

13. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Regardless of your opinion of CCH, these hires are on his watch, and he is probably as excited as the fan base. Plus I don't think you can say the new coaches are on the Bohn/Sosna or Orlando rolodex and not on CCH's (other then Naivar by TO). Just great out of the box hires.

Rather, if you want to indulge in conspiracies, maybe it came from the UM rolodex as assistance with no commitment by him to join USC in any capacity, now or in the future. I understand CCH and UM have got along very well since UM became a part time resident in MB. Having Snyder's Dad this Spring is another mentor for CCH. Yeah, sun shining in the opinion of others, hoping CCH has a good season, because he is here for the foreseeable future

14. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Not necessarily the best analogy. A good restaurant can be very good if the head chef hires quality sous chefs. The head chef oversees the work of others and has a basic view of the operation, but is not involved with the actual preparation of food. Now, how does this apply to college football? I am trying to think of a successful college football team with great assistants and a mediocre head coach. Perhaps Bobby Bowden in his latter years when FSU started flagging - guess that's not a positive, but ordinarily great assistants don't flock to a mediocre coach.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    I agree with your comments. I don't know how many listened to the podcast with Darrell Rideaux a few weeks back, but he had spoken with Kris Richard who in turn had spoken with Clay. Richard said that he was very impressed by Clay's vision for SC football. You don't get these guys to come if they don't have some respect for Clay and sense a vision. I believe that Bohn is very involved, but I also believe that Clay is a large part of the process of hiring new coaches as well. How this all plays out is the real question, because I do believe Clay was pushed in this direction.

bell, gubo&palanka, GoSC1 and 3 others like this.
  16. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    It's amazing how the tenor of this board has changed in just a couple of weeks. It was nothing but doom and gloom. We hire a DC, ST coach, DB coach, and DL coach and poof, WLPs have become pumpers. I do like the positivism. Now FTFO and CRUSH the TIDE.

Trojan Man 30 and Kaptain Karl like this.
  17. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Is it a coincidence that Helton hasn’t been seen or heard from much lately? My personal guess is that Bohn couldn’t make the UM or other home run hire, so he essentially became the CEO the team needs - starting with cutting the dead weight followed by bringing in fresh blood/new energy. The problem with Clay has been that, even if he recognizes a problem, nothing gets fixed; now all of a sudden we have radical changes addressing the program’s most glaring problems - this has to be the work of Bohn.

And this, the bleeding to stop, is what we’ve all been waiting for.

18. TrojanChingon

TrojanChingon Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    100% AGREE! Bring Chris in as a GA or Defensive Analyst. Need to get him in the door with all his connections with the recruits.

19. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 13, 2020
    This is the issue that I think might be cropping up with Claiborne (from an AJC story in 2017, when a new rule was enacted to stop colleges from hiring people simply to get a recruiting advantage).

"Going forward, an FBS school can hire a high school coach as one its 10 on-field coaches, but cannot add one to its support staff - which is a critical professional stepping stone – unless the college has not recruited one of the high school coach’s players in the past two years. And if the college does hire the high school coach, the college then cannot recruit a player from the coach’s former high school for two years, making it essentially a four-year window, two years in each direction."

So, ultimately, the exact reason a lot of people want Claiborne hired is the exact reason there's a rule prohibiting it. If USC has recruited any Calabasas players within the past two years (they have) they can't hire anybody from that school in anything other than an on-field coaching role (one of the 10 assistants). Now, it's probably safe to assume that nothing regarding the NCAA is completely straightforward, but reading the rule, it sure sounds like Claiborne wouldn't able to be brought in as a GA/analyst/support staff member until he's two years removed from having any affiliations with players recruited by USC.