Veterans Day

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by fansincearnett, Nov 10, 2019 at 5:08 PM.

1. Veterans Day
    fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    A big 'Well Done' to those who served...TroyBill, The Mayor and many others. Thank you!

I never was in the service--hurt my knee about a month before my induction in '62 and they never called me back.

My father was a 20 year Navy Vet, my stepfather served with Patton as a medic. A husband of a cousin was killed in Nam. The list is endless going back to the Revolutionary War. More relatives killed in WWII than the Civil War.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019 at 5:24 PM
    Many thanks and appreciation to all our veterans and their families. I attended a Marine Corps anniversary celebration yesterday at Heroes Hall in Costa Mesa. A vet who looked to be about 70 belted out an outstanding Marine Corps Hymn. Also had the opportunity to chat with a nearly 97-year old test pilot who managed to sing me a flawless version of his own "fight song"....for Georgia Tech. What a sweetheart.

Ooorah!

3. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    Tomorrow is the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI, and a ceremony will be held at the Coliseum to mark the event. Torch lighting at 11 am - the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

4. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019 at 6:40 PM
    Both my grandfathers served in the Army in that one....one in France, the other was a 2nd lieutenant, waiting to be shipped there when the war ended.

My dad commanded a US Navy LCT as a 21 year old Lt. J.G. in WWII.
    I will be remembering all three tomorrow, as I do every day of the year.

5. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    I was originally a draftee. I do not feel special. I just did my duty. Saw a lot of stuff I have tried to forget. I only remember the good times and how proud I was to serve this country in 3 different conflicts over a 33 year career.
    My father in law was a company commander in the 1st Marines at Guadalcanal. My dad served in the 3rd ID and made 4 amphibious landings starting with North Africa. My uncle was killed in combat in 1945 in Germany. My step dad landed at Omaha Beach with the Big Red One.
    To my fellow Vietnam vets I say “Welcome home”. To my younger vets I say “Thank you for your service”

6. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:54 PM

Our daughter worked that event yesterday.

7. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    Fight on to Area51, fssca51, GaryB and all other Trojans who served. (And love to my husband, dad, uncle, grandpa and great uncles.) Our grade school does a great job honoring our local veterans with a ceremony and breakfast and the veterans sure seem touched by the outpouring. The kids even color stars for those of us with veteran loved ones who couldn't be present. It is so nice to see this in public education!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 4:52 AM
    Troianus Acies likes this.
  8. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:45 PM
    Thank you veterans for your service. This country owes all veterans it's gratitude for making this country great and keeping it safe.

My father served in WWII and was stationed in the Pacific. He came home after serving and married my mom. Unfortunately he was killed in an accident when I was 6 months old. I recently came across his discharge papers and was surprised to learn he was at Pearl Harbor during the attack.

9. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    A heart-felt thank you to all my fellow veterans on OT. Both my own Dad and my Father-in-Law served in both WWI and WWII. Each of them served in the Navy in WWI as enlisted men, stayed in the service and were promoted to commissioned officers in WWII. Both served in combat zones in WWII. Thanks too, to my sainted Mom who kept the home fired burning all during those two wars. For many wives and mother , like my Mom (and sister) war was difficult beyond words. . They deserve remembrance too. Also deserving remembrance are the many thousands of women who built airplanes and ships, ferried new airplanes to the war zones and nursed the wounded. My flag is out today for all those wonderful people as well as US veterans everywhere.

Troianus Acies and aimeedee like this.
  10. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:52 AM
    To all who loved their country enough to take an oath and sign on a dotted line that may have caused them their death in the line of duty to support the United States of America and the U.S. Constitution...God Bless You All and my thanks for your service. It was my honor to serve alongside you.