USC will not win another championship for 25+ years

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ConquerorSC, Dec 13, 2019.

1. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 16, 2019
    There actually have not been any great AD's since the 70s, but somehow SC athletics have continued largely because we have lucked into some pretty good coaches. Garrett was an embarrassment, the first of our player AD's. We will eventually have the administration that buys into athletics, there will be those who actually understand the history of SC, not only football, but the mark our athletes have made on the world stage. Watch "Unbroken" if you aren't familiar with an SC legend. By the way, I recall an Alabama fan who thought Alabama was gone forever when Mike Shula was head coach and they had a losing record. Just like Alabama we are one great head coach from being back.

2. Lawyer John

Lawyer John Junior Member

Dec 16, 2019
    All I can say is that when SC loses its first game every season, I go into a depressed funk because it is highly unlikely that SC will win a national championship that year. Examples are 1976 when SC lost its first game to Missouri, ran the table the rest of the way, and still did not get a championship. Or 1979 when Stanford tied us, Troy's only blemish, and no national title as a result.

3. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 16, 2019
    It's not a case of "not settling for anything less than an NC." It's a case of hoping for a head coach who doesn't want to settle for less than an NC. Have you got a problem with that?

4. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Well, there’s a great chance Alabama will embarrass Helton’s Trojans in the first game next season, so that sucks.

5. Gr8ythunter

Gr8ythunter Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    irrelevant
    no different than this - "640K is more memory than anyone will ever need on a computer - Bill Gates"

times change

Esthersar likes this.
  6. Linebacker II

Linebacker II Points Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Late in that game, we were leading by a touchdown and we had the ball at around midfield, fourth-and-one. I along with my fellow Trojan fans yelled, Go! But Robinson punted, and on the next series, the Indians drove for the tying touchdown that knocked us out of the National Championship.

JR should have listened to the fans.

7. ConquerorSC

Dec 25, 2019
    But USC admin wasn't as bad and mired in scandal after scandal back then. Does anyone think that a national championship will happen for SC anytime soon considering the conditions as they are and as they will be in the foreseeable future?

8. ConquerorSC

Dec 26, 2019
    An 8 or 16 game playoff can eventually fix that. Currently, one loss excludes any non-Power5 teams and even most P5 teams.