USC weekend recruiting wrap

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 17, 2019.

2. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Sep 17, 2019
    Thanks for the write up Erik. I know coming off of a 5-7 season last year was going to lead to a rocky 2020 recruiting class but I never thought this Class wouldn't include Bryce Young, Justin Flowe, Elias Ricks and Myles Murao. It's bordering on criminal that this coaching staff can't lock up the top talent out West. Recruiting is every programs life blood and without an infusion of top talent every year, the program withers away and dies.

If for no other reason, this alone should get Helton and company fired. They can't recruit top talent, develop top talent or win with top talent.

A change in coaching is necessary ASAP, before the early signing period so some semblance of new life and hope can be reestablished within this program and with our recruiting base.

Fight On

OC2SC, J4SC75, Trojan12 and 2 others like this.
  3. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Sep 18, 2019
    If these guys are gone... they will be gone anyway, unless the incoming HC is a sexy name that garners plenty of national coverage and attention as a great hire. Yes, an Urban or maybe a Stoops. Campbell from Iowas St or Barbers from Cuse is not likely to do it as a splash hire to save recruiting and be considered instant contenders in the PAC.

I love my Trojans and I want something that puts a buzz around the program and even though nothing is guaranteed, I would like to be taken credible as a yearly contender to win the PAC and be considered for the final 4 teams. The longer we stay in mediocrity, the longer the road back to national prominence will be. Not that it can't happen, we have been down this road before and bounced back. I just want this to be a short trip and not be longer than necessary.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 19, 2019
    There will be some West talent in Athens this weekend. Kendall Milton, Kelee Ringo, Darnell Washington, and Noah Sewell will all be there for the game against the irish. Schedule is partly to blame but can't remember a time when so many West Coast kids are looking elsewhere.

Trojan12 and gubo&palanka like this.
  5. IrightI

IrightI Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    USC recruits itself. Isn't that what we've always heard.

The ineptness of the coaching staff, school administration, the malaise of the conference commissioner and to a greater extent the conference in general as it pertains to football and the arms race in facilities by other conferences USC has fallen so far behind it is not even funny.

In the Instagram age, we want to show people how we live in the NOW. And they cannot do that. I know it seems trivial but that is the world they are living in.

I figured once we got numbers back from the snactions, we would again be competing on the national stage. What has actually happened is a failure of monumental proportions.

It takes just one hire to change all of that, but I don't know if we will see that for the next decade.

@Veebs, kids and schools just have so many options that we didn't back in the day. budgets are spiraling out of control and the sec seem to understand best how to capitalize. you can also add Clemson, tosu, Oklahoma and texas to that list.

hard to believe, but the one thing we have in our favor is the transfer portal. my feeling is that more and more top talent that does not get immediate playing time, will enter so they can shine immediately rather than wait their turn.

OC2SC, TrojanFireHorse12 and PickSicx like this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    We have and it did. That luster has faded I think.

I don't think it's trivial at all. This is the age of life in pictures and stories. Kids are drawn to shiny pennies and flashy trophies. USC doesn't look that great.

The portal is/was a gift to coaches like Saban and frankly, to players who got jettisoned late because Nick had to keep roster numbers within limits. A lot of those kids got cut late and would declare a desire to transfer or Bama would say it was injury related, neither situation benefiting the player. So while the portal process needs tweaking for the high-value recruits, it does give players at the other end an opportunity to "market" themselves well before it becomes too late.