USC should not be the place to "learn your job"

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by BarNone, Dec 30, 2017.

1. USC should not be the place to "learn your job"
    BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Dec 30, 2017
    An elite program that expects to contend for national championships should have as its coordinators men who've been coordinators before. Let the young guys earn their stripes at the UCFs, the Cals, etc.. and when proven, USC should hire them. Clancy is exactly the profile that USC should hire. Just like Norm Chow and CEO were with Pete. Proven. Pete's ego cost him when he replaced those guys with unproven guys who were learning on the job.

Tee Martin is a rising star. One of the best recruiters in college football. USC needed to promote him to keep him. But one must be blind to miss his deficiencies. He is making mistakes that he is hopefully learning from but at USC's expense. The Texas game was bizarre with the insistence to pile-drive into the strength of the Texas team. The physicality of that game cost us all season with the offensive line getting banged up.

Some examples from last night. Put Daniel I with a chip from Rojo to block Bosa on an important snap? Mistake.
    Never playing Josh Falo who we trusted with the 4th down to seal the Pac12 championship? Ignoring the TE all night with the exception of one successful play late in the first half to Daniel to the 1 yard line. The tight end screen to Pettite who is not as athletic or dynamic as Daniel or Falo?

How about creativity getting the ball to Rojo and Carr? Huard was subtly criticizing Tee all night with the comments regarding screens, shovels and swings. Everyone knew that the Dline was a mismatch with our OLine and yet the types of plays that may neutralize it and take advantage of tremendous athletes in your backfield were non-existent. Just handoffs in the running game.

Sam made a lot of low percentage throws that were completions and there were many marvelous plays by Pittman, Vaughns and Burnett that resulted in the total yardage. Darnold's escapability and talents covered up for Tee some this year.

Gr8ythunter and Troy70 like this.

2. HBsc

HBsc Points Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Whatever happened to the packages with Stephen Carr out the backfield? Kept hearing “waiting on him to get healthy”, well he was finally healthy and in our biggest game we refuse to utilize one of our biggest weapons. Agree totally with the lack of TE usage. Again, why go away from what had worked during the year in this game?

Gr8ythunter and Troy70 like this.
  3. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I was surprised with lack of passes to RBs and TEs. I kept hearing that is the weakness of osu defense. I even predicted big games for Daniel, Falo and Carr. I think there was one pass to Carr and one to Vae, neither worked and RB pass was abandoned, and maybe one good pass to TE (daniel). Did Falo even play?

As to TE blocking DE, is that something OC decides or the OL coach?