USC misses the cut for top in-state receiver

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by ErikMcKinney, May 26, 2020.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 26, 2020
    Headscratcher at the finalists. Maybe ASU with Daniels even thought I think Slovis is better, but the others? Does he realize Burrow and Herbert are gone?

3. TheTrojanKnight

TheTrojanKnight Junior Member

May 26, 2020
    Considering LSU was cut along with USC I'd say he's well aware that Burrow is gone.

LDIABootney likes this.
  4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 26, 2020
    I guess I read that wrong. At first glance, I thought LSU was still in. Bama? Oregon? Yikes.

5. beeto

beeto Junior Member

May 26, 2020
    Interesting note :

Why is it that every time a prospect elects not to come to USC he's afraid to compete ?
    Could it simply be the recruit doesn't like the school ? The coaches ? etc...

USC is not the only school that can get you in the nfl. Sadly, this has been the case for awhile now around here.

Good luck to the guy........USC will still go on and win without him.

Jose and LDIABootney like this.
  6. billsb1970

billsb1970 Junior Member

May 26, 2020
    It looks like a Huskies Duckies battle. Plenty of great athletes and receivers still out there.

7. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    May 26, 2020
    Franklin is likely going to be really, really good, but this is true. I'm never going to worry about wide receiver recruiting for USC. If Franklin was at Serra or St. John Bosco or Mater Dei, it would be a little different than this. But USC is always going to be able to get receivers.

travyav, Troy70 and TrojanRider4Life like this.
  8. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

May 27, 2020
    The impressive wide receiver streak that USC had with the top receiver in the state how many of those wide receivers were from northern California?

9. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

May 27, 2020
    I don't believe there is a universal belief by USC fans and USC coaches of the every time "afraid to compete" statement. Or the other so-called claim of "academically challenged". Maybe other schools forward those claims .... USC fans are too knowledgeable: no such claims about last year's top QBs, Flowe, Sewell, etc.

As you mentioned great athletes don't shy away from competition, they just buy in to other schools

10. Kaptain Karl

Kaptain Karl Points Member

May 27, 2020
    Our WR position is absolutely loaded. If immediate playing time is #1 on his list SC isn’t the place for him.

Trojanfan562, spintojoe and Jose like this.
  11. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

May 27, 2020
    Any recruit committing to a major program is going to have competition at their position (generally speaking). A freshman can certainly earn playing time if they are developed enough coming in and can learn the play book quickly. It’s all on the recruit....

12. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

May 27, 2020
    I am not worried either, but it is a head scratcher. Do you have a clue as to where we fell short with him?

I am far more worried about getting quality linemen

13. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

May 27, 2020

Bummer losing a top WR in Franklin. Looks like it’s a 3 way battle: Oregon, Stanford, Washington. With Oregon having a solid lead.

Not concerned that much, USC will be just fine. The roster is loaded with top, elite WR’s. However, it's essential, USC must hold onto and land committed Quay Davis. Quay is the 2nd coming of Ju Ju Smith. So far the WR class = Quay Davis, Texas, Michael Jackson, Las Vegas. If USC is able to land the 3rd WR from one of these players, Malcom Johnston, VA, Deonte Thorton, Maryland, Xavier Worthy, Fresno, Hal Preston, Texas, Christian Dixon, Mater Dei. This would be a very good, B+ class.

Another consideration, there is a very good, 3+ stars WR from Culver City HS, Makai Cope, 6’2”, 190 lbs. Viewed his HL video and came away very impressed. Cope is big, very physical, strong, runs precise routes, great hands, has good enough speed, thinking around 11.1 to 11 flat 100 meters, long strider. USC offered, but looks like it’s all Stanford for Cope. For the 3rd WR, Cope would be great. Maybe the coaches can flip him?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    earlandnic likes this.
  14. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 27, 2020
    SC can get wrs , now get me elite OL big nasty players

Canyon and Jose like this.
  15. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

May 28, 2020
    Yes this is true about the WR group. That’s why SC needs to get top notch o linemen to load up on going forward

spintojoe likes this.
  16. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

May 28, 2020
    Don't shoot the messenger.........In his interview Franklin stated that one of his reasons.......he wants to play for a national championship.
    BTW, Oregon received the commit for the #4 TE yesterday. Christo is a recruiter......if we ever were rid of Helton I know who I'd want as the head coach......imagine pairing Christo with our program and all of its advantages............ We already have his DB coach. With his recruiting and some good assistants.......move over Saban and Dabo.

17. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    May 28, 2020
    I’m sure I’m missing somebody, but do you have to go all the way back to Brandon Carswell in 2007 for the last Northern California receiver?