USC Letter on Student Housing and Course Schedules (7/1)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 1, 2020.

1. USC Letter on Student Housing and Course Schedules (7/1)
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 1, 2020
    https://coronavirus.usc.edu/2020/07/01/7-1-letter-on-student-housing-and-course-schedules/

It reads, in part:

“Given the continuing safety restrictions and limited densities permissible on campus, our undergraduate students primarily or exclusively will be taking their courses online in the fall term, and on-campus housing and activities will be limited. While not what we hoped, we are now recommending all undergraduates take their courses online, and reconsider living on or close to campus this semester. We are continuing with limited in-person, on-campus activity because we believe we can keep students, researchers, staff, and faculty safe with our low-density plan.”

2. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 2, 2020
    Is online learning and virtual campus social experiences worth the money?

3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 2, 2020
    It’s a good question, and one that likely a lot of incoming freshmen (and their parents) will be asking. On the other hand, it’s unlikely to remain this way for all four years, and you might not get a true college experience on campus anywhere this fall. So if you get into USC and defer (or go somewhere else) are you eventually able to get into USC, and where are you going that is guaranteed to provide what you’re looking for this fall?

J4SC75 and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. Trojan Forever

Trojan Forever Points Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Indeed, this is the key question for College's today. For most students attending a top college, what they receive traditionally would include many classes that are relatively small with personal interaction with fellow students and professors, opportunity to interact with professors in person, opening their eyes to a much wider array of fellow students than in high school, participating in clubs/activities where new interests/skills can be developed and friends made, learning to live on their own transitioning to adulthood. and for USC becoming a part of the Trojan family. In the past, this might be worth it for many prospective students to pay $70,000 per year (or whatever discount they may receive. The question is whether removing most of the above and simply leaving an online lecture in one's home bedroom is still worth what is being charged.
    My daughter will begin at a small liberal arts college in NY in August and we are awaiting their final plan, but they have indicated that students will be on campus and most classes will be in person. Other activities are unclear, but they are seeking as normal an experience as possible.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Freshman classes at most larger schools are not small intimate classes. Smaller liberal arts schools have always offered the experience you mentioned. Online classes are more than taped lectures. They are interactive and can accommodate small group teaching with interaction with professors. I teach at a good size university and have been surprised how well it can work. Still prefer face to face.

6. Coconut_coverage

Coconut_coverage Points Member

Jul 5, 2020
    when I attended grad school at USC 17 years ago, I did 1/3 of the degree online. My experience was that it was an easier adjustment then I expected. When I did y classes, I had two options for midterm and final tests: 1) drive to campus for tests, or 2) set up with my place of business to set up an isolated room with a human resources staff member acting as proctor.

I don't see how, especially for the large intro courses (Bio, Chem, etc), the testing will be accomplished. In the end I can see this event causing a huge fundamental change on how knowledge evaluation is conducted.

The days of standardization and GPAs may soon be over.

Matt

7. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Top colleges today are mainly Paper Mills anyway. You're paying for the brand name and piece of paper, not the "college experience" and learning.

8. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    My son is going for his masters in the science related field. Online is great and all but what about the other huge component of his program, lab work?

9. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 7, 2020
    Does no students on campus mean no football?