USC LB Coach Nansen Staying in LA...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ConquerorSC, Feb 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. USC LB Coach Nansen Staying in LA...
    ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Feb 9, 2020
    ...but scooped up by fUCLA, according to 247sports. Nansen was 2017 Pac 12 recruiter of the year and he has deep ties to SoCal schools and recruits, including those in his hometown of Long Beach. That alone makes it a big loss, only worsened by the fact that the crosstown rival is getting him.

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 9, 2020
    He didn’t seem too popular around here.

3. ConquerorSC

Feb 9, 2020
    People here almost unanimously wanted Baxter out with Pendergasp coming in at a close second. But several commenters here also recognized that Nansen on his own was a great recruiter and a good coach. If anything, perhaps a small minority here did not like him.

4. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 10, 2020
    It's what I always say about Pac-12 rivals vs USC. If Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, etc.--any of them--are outperforming USC in recruiting or on the field, it has far more to do with USC than with anything those programs are doing. If USC has its stuff in order, it shouldn't matter what the coaching staffs at other places look like.

5. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    No disrespect but that post sounds like a USC fan in about 1980...

6. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Yet it still rings true

TrojanFireHorse12 and AtownSC like this.
  7. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    USC isn't some faceless monolith that operates by the power of its own steam.

You need the right people in place to execute. Getting USC's "stuff in order" requires actual work, by people.

Sounds like UCLA caught the baby and avoided the bathwater.

8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    I don’t think there’s any question that USC is the stronger recruiting school than any of those, we have historically outrecruited them.

9. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 10, 2020
    It’s still true. USC has the quickest path to the top. I’m not saying it will happen automatically for USC. Clearly that’s not the case. But if other programs are controlling the Pac-12, it has just as much, if not more, to do with what USC is doing (or not doing) than what other programs are doing.

10. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Feb 10, 2020
    and this one of the many reasons why Garry P (RIP) picked you.

Not that I think it will happen but if Meyer came here, I think it would mirror the 2002 season where SC took the nation by storm. Normally other teams see a steady progression but the case here would be a large ambush by SC where the rest of the PAC12 cant counterattack short of refs/NCAA intervention.

in2nation, Troy70 and qqqqqqqman like this.
  11. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    By the time it is done the price of keeping Helton will be enormous.
    The loss of recruiting top notch.
    Lack of good football culture.
    Loss of fan support.
    Good coaches lost to having to keep Helton

Troy70 and qqqqqqqman like this.
  12. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Great get by UCLA. Like the saying says, "It wasn't me, it wasn't you - it was us". The "us" part wasn't working for Nansen any longer. The recruiting-well went dry here (we all know why), but it did nonetheless.

Every position he coached did worse or remained mediocre...he was not an excellent coach - at any position.

I still doubt UCLA will get much out of him coaching-wise, but it could be he just needed a fresh start and getting back to his craft.

Chip is not a defensive coach, so if he's bringing Nansen on, better hide him somewhere he won't hurt you, and bring him out for recruiting season.

Nothing personal on Nansen, go get your yours, good on you!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    jjg4sc likes this.
  13. SCBirnkrant81

SCBirnkrant81 Junior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Nansen's dismissal is based on his performance as a coach and the poor recruiting rankings in the last two cycles. IMO, most of the players (linebackers) under his watch didn't develop and live up to their potential 4/5 star rankings. Add the losing season, recruiting nose dive into abyss, the calls for the head coach to be dismissed, and some movement had to be expected. Pendergast and Baxter were dismissed for the continuous on field performance issues, or a clear lack of cohesiveness with their respective units. However, recruiting was Nansen's domain and his dismissal was not a big surprise! Who else could Clay blame for this mess?

SonofGodzilla likes this.
  14. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    You may be right, but who will ever know the exact "reasons" for each? Was there a pie-chart created for each of their pros/cons quantified? Was the Clancy thing purely due to performance, or also due to complete unwillingness to recruit?

Was Nansen 100% due to recruiting, or 50/50 with his mediocre coaching?

Bottom line, all these coaches minus perhaps Burns needed to go. Coach Chad could have remained as it was his first season, but I wasn't too impressed with his group's performance either...and they were supposed to be the strength.

This change was the best they could do, considering they made up their minds in keeping Helton. If I'm going to make you drive a Pinto, at least I'll put a sweet stereo in it and tint the windows (dark).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    zitorocks and ConquerorSC like this.
  15. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    He is going to be a DL coach at fucla, something he hasn't done since he was at UW. We should be able to run at them good next season.

SC ForLife and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  16. USCTrojan1990

USCTrojan1990 Points Member

Feb 11, 2020
    I know someone who worked closely with Nansen for many years. He told me he is the laziest coach he has ever worked with, but he is obviously unbelievably connected in the Polynesian recruiting circles

17. ConquerorSC

Feb 11, 2020
    You're still mad that I openly dissed and every once in a long while continue to write that Trump sucks on the MKJ-Off topic thread? That's why you say that I'm a bRuin (along with others who disagree with you)??? Haha. I've dared you to show some proof and you simply cannot. Lame.

a_jim.gif

18. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Conquerorworm is a brune....no doubt....also dog faced lying pony soldier

DJ4SC and Troy4 me like this.
  19. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Yeah, he won’t write UCLA sucks. He’ll put the f in there to give him a cover, but he is a ruin homer,

DJ4SC and Troy4 me like this.