USC hosts UW, WSU, still struggling to correct major problems (From Rich Ruben)

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by ErikMcKinney, Feb 11, 2020.

2. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Well, time to put up or shut up. Have to win out at home. Wins over UW and WSU won't help much. But, wins over ASU and UofA, especially, will help the NET ranking. I think they have to find a way to split the mountain road trip as well. Obviously a win at Colorado would be huge, but getting swept by both Colorado and Utah could seal their fate.
    6-1 to finish out the conference gets them into the dance. 5-2 leaves them squarely on the bubble and, likely, needing a few wins in the Pac-12 tourney.

3. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    I think 6-1 would still require two wins in the PAC 12 tournament.

USC will be held to a higher standard, so the committee will choose other bubble teams ahead of USC.

I think eight more wins are needed.
    If USC can beat both Colorado and Arizona, and unlikely feat, then seven wins would get them in.

4. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Damn, no Okongwu tonight......

5. Conquestluvr

Feb 13, 2020
    What is the big secret?

Is he hurt? Is he sick? Is he being dsiciplined? How many games is he out?

Why won't these damn announcers tell us WHY he is not playing?

Is it a big secret? There are 13 minutes left in the game and I STILL don't know why Okongwu is not playing.

Update: They finally told us he has concussion like symptoms.. Why couldn't they tell us this earlier.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Nice win
    Shows need a ball handling PG.
    Wash had good big men but no PG.
    Nick came through with Mathews

Rodgarnay51 and earlandnic like this.
  7. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Solid win at home for the Trojans tonight who were without their best player. The offense held onto the ball well tonight. That 9-0 run at the beginning of the second half really seemed to take the air out of UW, plus how can you turn down a chance to reference the 9-0?!?

8. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Badly needed win especially with Okungwu out with a concussion.

On a side note Washington has fallen off the map.

9. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    4-2 the rest of the way with 1 win in the Pac 12 Tourney gets the Trojans in for sure. That win over LSU turns out to be huge.

Beat WSU, split the Arizona schools, split the Utah/Colorado trip and beat Ucla.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  10. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Pretty sure they’re in even without the road split against CU and Utah. Palm has is as a 7 seed, no where near the last 4 in. Don’t pay attention to Lunardi on ESPN, Palm is way May accurate.

11. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I'm the opposite I think Lunardi is on point whereas Palm has some misses. For the 2018 NCAA Tournament, Lunardi didnt have SC in and Palm did. We all know how that turned out.

I think a win over Wazzu is going to be good insurance. One step closer to getting a first round bye in the conference tourney too.

12. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    I think our only loss is CU, the Arizona schools take a big drop when on the road

13. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    Great win.
    The team appeared quicker without the big O there
    Usual turnovers when Anderson tries to penetrate and gets turnovers. But next
    Year it will be different. He will figure it out.
    Would not play Nick and O together as team is slow. And bog O is ineffective outside 7 ft from basket.
    The defense is good
    Just have to be smarter on offense to play with the good teams.

14. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Feb 16, 2020
    Greetings my USC family!
    Since it is basketball season, most of you all know I am with my other family.

Serious question though, how do you guys feel your season has been going so far?
    8-5, t-3rd in the PAC-12, not so good losses to UW/CU/ASU, but you still control your destiny.
    Wins over Colorado/Arizona would be good (even though I hope it is only against CU), some decent insurance with wins over ASU/UCLA, and gimme win against Utah?
    That should put you with a 1st round bye, one win and I believe you Trojans will be dancing.

15. Conquestluvr

Feb 17, 2020

Going as expected so far. I am always hopeful, since I think USC is fully capable of even going 8-0 the rest of the way to win the conference tournament.

But I am more of a realist than an optimist, so I am expecting three more wins this year, including a 10-8 finish, and a first round win in the PAC 12 tournament. I think USC misses the NCAA's.
    I think Arizona will win a close one against USC, but lose a close one to UCLA.
    As a fan for multiple decades, I try to be on the pessimistic side of realistic to alleviate the continuous disappointment that being a die hard USC basketball fan entails.

mvpreed2 likes this.
  16. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Feb 17, 2020
    You appear to be firmly on the pessimistic side.

17. Conquestluvr

Feb 17, 2020

Mostly yes, but not firmly.

I think USC wins again against UCLA and at home against ASU, but since Utah is 10-1 at home, I do not expect a win here.
    Arizona at home is a tossup, but historically USC does not do well against Arizona, so I am predicting a loss here to temper the disappointment if it happens.

I also do not expect USC to get a bid if they are on the bubble, as evidenced by 2018.

18. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Yeah really messed up our chances looking back now having dropped a 20pt lead to ASSU and then going ice cold against UCLA.
    We would be sitting at 20-5, 10-2 PAC-12, and probably ranked in the top 10 or close to it.

With over 2/3 of the PAC-12 season over, this is the closest race I have seen in a LONG time with six teams within a game from holding the top spot in the standings.
    Every game is basically a psuedo playoff from here on out with a win moving you up several spots, and a win dropping you several spots.
    Good luck to you boys going down the stretch.
    I always root for USC to win, even when y'all beat Arizona, I can live with losing to USC.

SouthbayTrojan91 likes this.