USC defensive coaches deliver energy, expectations

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Mar 4, 2020.

2. Ladera Trojan

Ladera Trojan Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020
    I mean, any Trojan fan has to love the quotes coming our new defensive coaches. Tough, physical football that starts with hitting at practice.

It’ll be interesting to see if we actually get those types of practices or if Clay overrules and it’s more “No Pad November” type of days.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    I just can't imagine Helton brought all these guys in, let them put all this out there, and then will pull them back from delivering. I would be really, really surprised if that happened. There were a few instances where Graham Harrell said he's all for live action during practices last season, so I don't think he's going to give any push back if the practices become more physical.

4. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Mar 4, 2020
    It seems like more and more the pull back from more physical practices came from Clancy, and it kind of makes sense. If I recall correctly, Clancy came to USC with Kiffin who was strapped with the sanctions more than any other coach, and he was likely of the mindset to make the most of the roster by limiting the effects of injuries. Clancy came from the NFL which, from my understanding, runs practice with limited contact.

Helton meanwhile basically came in as a head coach in training and he has relied on his assistants more than a more experienced head coach would.

5. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Mar 4, 2020
    It sure seems as though they are saying all the right things. Also, it was really refreshing to hear coaches talk about football and what needs to be done without referring to needing to see tape first.

6. Yup All Right

Yup All Right Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Also it's been said that Clancy liked to use a shorter rotation, which I could see causing him to want easier practices since each practice-related injury is more significant when the group of players who are actually utilized is smaller.

Love what I'm hearing from the defensive coaches. Just hope that they follow through!

7. billsb1970

billsb1970 Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020
    I cannot remember when there was a time that many assistant coaches were allowed to speak from the pulpit. It was welcoming and refreshing. If Helton stays out of the way, I'm excited to see how our defense developes this season.

8. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Every Spring Helton and his band of clown coaches come out and talk coach-speak to the stenographers and every year we all hope against hope that they’ll actually do what they say...Toughness, physicality, blah, blah, blah...
    And every year it ends the same. THIS year though we have NEW coaches spouting the coach-speak so once again we (me included) hope against hope that NOW things are going to be different.
    Rubes...one and all. Alabama 56 - SC 24 (mostly scored against the third string).

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 5, 2020
    To some extent, the horse is already out of the barn. The indelible stains in the record book have already been made. So many in just a few short years. In all of Trojan football history, we can only think of a few cases where SC was embarrassed: 51-0, Memphis State, the stanford Tavita Pritchard and What's Your Deal games. Clay has almost as many embarrassing games in his short tenure.

Finally, this clown of a head coach is fixing his staff ...

Cyrus likes this.
  10. SoCalLifer

SoCalLifer Junior Member

Mar 5, 2020
    I really like what I am hearing on both the physical front and recruiting from the new coaches! With all the players coming back, who knows, we may actually be really good next year. Of course the first game will tell us if the coaches can deliver as good as they talk.

11. Bored of Clowns

Bored of Clowns Points Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Did I read the article correctly...the ENTIRE defensive secondary is sitting out the Spring?? Seriously??

12. Bored of Clowns

Mar 5, 2020
    The final result will be the same as long as Gomer is employed.

13. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Mar 5, 2020
    No, I see now there were two ways to interpret what I wrote. I said, "All of those players won't be available..." meaning that USC won't have every one of them available (some will be missing). I changed the wording to make it more clear.

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  14. Bored of Clowns

Mar 5, 2020
    Thx for the clarification.