USC beats Villanova in exhibition game 72-61

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by norcalsurfer, Oct 18, 2019.

2. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Far better roster than last season. Watching Aaron, Thornton, Stewart, Boatwright was just painful.

Obviously Big O is a stud. The freshman point guard is already far better than anything we had last year. Having Weaver, who looked great, and him at the point will bode us well. Nice to see that grad transfer drilling 3’s. I would have liked to see the guy from Columbia shoot a few, but I’m sure he’ll knock a whole bunch down during the season.

It’s going to be tough to get playing time, deep bench.

3. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Nick Rak hasn't changed much imo. Wanted to see more upper body strength from him.

Hopefully Chuck O'Bannon can contribute a lot this year too.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. JayBird23

JayBird23 Points Member

Oct 18, 2019
    It's a different world. The 1970-71* team had experience and role players. They were smart and played like a team, ran a offense that was a thing of beauty. https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-usc-unbeaten-20161220-story.html

Our team for 2019-2020 has raw talent and surprising maturity. I was very impressed with the speed at which they switched up on defense. We will grow tremendously. We should be able to play with anyone on a given day. Much, much better than what I heard. And, I heard a lot of hype.

I think this is a completely different animal for CAE. He was frustrated last year and never showed it. He had a fire sale of everyone on the team except Nick, Jonah and Charles. I agree, this team could be the best USC team of my lifetime. I seriously think we are WAY underrated. Predicted fifth and six in the conference.

Well, everybody has been put on notice. As long as we win our first few games I expect a top-10 ranking. We are seriously going to blow out the weaker competition. USC is used to struggling against the Cal States. Those days are over. We won tonight in what really was a pick-up game. Andy is just seeing who would rise to the occasion. The team seemed very unselfish at times.

I don't think we can size anyone up after one game. Let's see this team develop a bit, individually and as a team.

Very excited. We have a basketball team at USC. Alert the lazy students to get their assess in some seats.

WE FINALLY HAVE A PRODUCT TO FILL THE BEAUTIFUL GALEN.

FIGHT ON!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  5. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Students actually had a good showing. We need the whiney alumni to show up

I went to many 71 games. This team is way better and deeper. In 71 everyone played real slow. It was a different game now.

6. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Roll call for the dump CAE posters.

7. uscmike5524

uscmike5524 Junior Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Big O is the most talented big man that I have seen here maybe ever!
    He's incredibly agile, finishes with either hand near the rim, has a solid shooting stroke and he has terrific timing blocking shots.. I would like to see him use his strength to dunk more in traffic, but I believe that will come in time. The sky is the limit for the kid.

Weaver has definitely improved since last season, but I would like to see him start at off guard rather than point, because Ethan Anderson is legit.

Anderson has the vision to make the correct pass, the explosiveness to get in the lane and either finish or pass for dunks or open jumpers!

Mobley has the farthest to go, but you can see the potential there as well!

earlandnic and gubo&palanka like this.
  8. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Oct 19, 2019
    would rather see Nick coming off the bench. He just doesn’t do anything great. Good to average all around player, with below avg hands.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  9. uscmike5524

uscmike5524 Junior Member

Oct 19, 2019

I'm really hoping that Nick was just nervous last night, because he was a turnover machine in the 1st half last night. He still has trouble finishing at the rim as well.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  10. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Nicks best game is the easy pick and roll shots. Villanova was not giving those up. Nova did not shoot very well but their defense was excellent. I think we beat a very good team.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  11. JayBird23

JayBird23 Points Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Rako off the bench makes a lot of sense..

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  12. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Oct 19, 2019
    This. Wouldn't stun me at some point. 3 bigs kills spacing and Elijan, Anderson, Utomi, and Jonah all need to play a lot.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Oct 24, 2019
    I agree on Rakocevic. I have never been impressed with him. He has a lot of trouble with focus and toughness, and is a real lummox at times. Every time he makes a good play I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised.

14. Rodgarnay51

Oct 24, 2019
    Used sparingly makes even more sense, IMO.

15. Rodgarnay51

Oct 24, 2019
    Plus did you notice how two or three times he put the wrong spin on the ball on layups, which for most guys would have been dunks?

Carlsport likes this.
  16. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Oct 24, 2019
    at this point I need to see improvement on mental toughness from him. He has improved every year but if he wants to sneak into the NBA draft he needs to be good mentally and not drawn into fouls/technicals.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  17. Carlsport

Carlsport Junior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    This! Why he doesn't dunk with authority at his size when in traffic is truly baffling...

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  18. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    He has no chance for the NBA draft. He's a 3 star, not a 4 or 5 star, so I think he's done pretty good in his career. How many other 3 star big's at SC has done as well as him? Most never play and leave the program. Not impressed because the 3 star should be 1st or 2nd team all-Pac12?

SouthbayTrojan91 likes this.