USC 45 BAMA 21. MY EARLY PREDICTION.SC IS BACK AND SO IS RECRUITING

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Major toor, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jun 11, 2020
    Alabama didn't take this game because they were worried about losing. Saban sparred with USC once and said book them again. SEC is notorious for choosing it's early non league opponents wisely. Urban Myer said the same thing. I think he sees a physicality gap.

I use to box when I was younger. When you get hit in the face by someone with unusual power and hits harder than anyone you ever matched up with you say to yourself "I never want to get in the ring with that guy again". Not now, not later, not never. Reality sets in. Saban didn't get that feeling the first game. Otherwise he would be playing San Jose State that weekend.

USC will be a very good team. Likely 10 wins but Alabama is salty from losing to LSU and Oklahoma down the stretch. I feel sorry for the first two teams they play. They are going to unload. Not to mention they signed another amazing recruiting class (4 five stars) number 2 in the Nation. This same team had trouble with physical teams last season losing to Iowa, ND, Oregon. They have to turn that corner and prove they can slug it out with a SEC team something they have not done in years.

Too many questions marks. This game will not have anything to do with Bryce Young or Bama's offense, they will score enough to win and their defense will probable get a couple of score to widen the gap. It's going to be all about the defense. Alabama's bread and butter against a team with a brand new DC making his debut. Have to worry about break downs. On offense can Slovis handle the pass rush? Can the WR's get separation? Last time Bama's DB shut them down completely. They ran wild on everyone else.

If this were played week 4 or 5 I would say USC has a shot. I think Orlando is going to need a few games to settle in that's only fair to him.

I won't predict a score. I'll just say Alabama wins and is never threatened.

2. Cardinal&Gold

Jun 11, 2020
    Alabama didn't take this game because they were worried about losing. Saban sparred with USC once and said book them again. SEC is notorious for choosing it's early non league opponents wisely. Urban Myer said the same thing. I think he sees a physicality gap.

I use to box when I was younger. When you get hit in the face by someone with unusual power and hits harder than anyone you ever matched up with you say to yourself "I never want to get in the ring with that guy again". Not now, not later, not never. Reality sets in. Saban didn't get that feeling the first game. Otherwise he would be playing San Jose State that weekend.

USC will be a very good team. Likely 10 wins but Alabama is salty from losing to LSU and Oklahoma down the stretch. I feel sorry for the first two teams they play. They are going to unload. Not to mention they signed another amazing recruiting class (4 five stars) number 2 in the Nation. This same team had trouble with physical teams last season losing to Iowa, ND, Oregon. They have to turn that corner and prove they can slug it out with a SEC team something they have not done in years.

Too many questions marks. This game will not have anything to do with Bryce Young or Bama's offense, they will score enough to win and their defense will probable get a couple of score to widen the gap. It's going to be all about the defense. Alabama's bread and butter against a team with a brand new DC making his debut. Have to worry about break downs. On offense can Slovis handle the pass rush? Can the WR's get separation? Last time Bama's DB shut them down completely. They ran wild on everyone else.

If this were played week 4 or 5 I would say USC has a shot. I think Orlando is going to need a few games to settle in that's only fair to him.

I won't predict a score. I'll just say Alabama wins and is never threatened.

3. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Jun 12, 2020
    I'm mystified by why you say we will be a "very good team." Is that just tribal knowledge or echoes coming out of the chamber or a fashion statement about changing a number of staff? I do realize you go on to say why we can't go toe to toe with Elebama, which of course belies the initial comment. If this staff turns out to know what they are doing as opposed to the dumpster fire we got rid of, then I might agree that next year we could have a "very good team." But any team that shrivels in the face of a physical opponent is not even a good team. Many of us remain jaded and extremely skeptical since Gomer is still the head man, and all he ever did was shower us with cliches and buzz words. We don't even know if our highly touted receivers are that good in games because we didn't have enough balance for the "D" to get off the field and couldn't make third and long conversions to save our lives. But we do know we had pretty good running backs, but that we couldn't even make third and short due to the O line not getting off the ball or holding their blocks.

Anyway, this is in all likelihood, not the year we turn that corner and beat an SEC team again, let alone Elebama or better. How far we have come from the year we beat Auburn 27-0 in their house against the "best backfield in Div 1." It's pathetic that we are here and have no one to blame but ourselves and the galacticaly stupid choices we made over the past 7-10 years. I for one cannot tolerate watching us lose to them again in Jerry's House - that's how bad the first one was and we had three years to get ready for this year's coming beat down. I'll repeat that we'd be lucky to get within 20 points of them and that 10-13 is the best we could do. If that happens, I'll stand up and take notice and start listening to assistant coaches again.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Cardinal&Gold, Cyrus and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jun 12, 2020
    I'd love to see us beat Alabama in a nationally televised game, but in just don't think it's feasible.

If the score matches what Major Toor predicts, I'll happily eat...a chicken pot pie (chicken is like crow, right?) but I think it will more likely be the reverse - Bama 45, USC 21.

Cardinal&Gold and gubo&palanka like this.
  5. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Jun 12, 2020
    I have to agree with just about everything you’ve said. The only thing I want to mention is the scheduling...didn’t both games get scheduled in advance? I thought we had them for the second game prior to the bloodletting beatdown teabaggin embarrassment.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  6. FightonOC

FightonOC Member

Jun 12, 2020
    It has been a welcome offseason with a little good news for once in a long while. To think we are going to beat Alabama down is a bit far fetched. Go back and watch the bowl game. What has changed since then? If we had full practice with new coaches I would be a little more optimistic. Go ahead and watch those 3 QB sneaks around of Iowa where our dline was demolished.

I want a solid game...if we can hold Bama under 30 and score a couple TDs that would be positive. Don’t get me wrong that result is not SC football but I could live with it for now and that is a sad fact.

FFO

7. Major toor

Major toor Points Member

Jun 12, 2020
    I'm just so surprised that some of you have no faith. Saint nick is just a name someone coined. Dude and his teams are beatable. He's no saint and his players aren't jesus christs disguised in shoulder pads. Player for player sc is just as talented. I get the Helton angle, but I think the new assistants and the new found energy and momentum will overcome heltons coaching or lack there of. As I said before, Saban's run with bama is coming to an end, and shellacking from gomer will be the final nail in the coffin.

8. Cardinal&Gold

Jun 12, 2020
    I love this team. I'm just a realist. Todd Orlando Is implementing a new defense with several new faces coaching on both sides of the ball. That's a fact!!!. He will need a break in period. Everyone does.

I'll do you one better. Has any spread team beaten Alabama the last 3 years not in the SEC? LSU throws the ball but they run the ball and throw to the tight end and They have an elite defense to keep up incase they get into a slug fest.

How do you disrupt a spread? Stop it at the line of scrimmage with a pass rush.

Go back and watch what Auburn did to Oregon in the 2011 BCS Championship game. In my opinion this was Oregon's best shot at winning a NC. That was a great Oregon team and they were averaging like 40 pts a game. They got 19 because Auburn was in the backfield all game. Nick Fairly had a monster game from the DT position.

That being said. Id love to see USC kick the $hit out of Alabama. LSU is my second favorite team. It would be a win win.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  9. Gjimmy

Gjimmy Junior Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Seeing this thread made me think of that Conquest idiot. whatever happened to that guy? I haven't been on the board for a while...

10. Cardinal&Gold

Jun 12, 2020
    Graham Harrell is on to something give him credit. He's undeniably on track to be the next great offensive mind. I'm 100% convinced of that. Having watched guys like June Jones, Klif Kingbury, Mike Matrz, Mike Leach, Lincoln Riley, Gus Malzahn. I see the same potential.

Todd Orlando. Is a huge upgrade from stubborn Clancy Pendergast. You're going to see a big difference in turnover ratio. a Todd Orlando team get's turnovers. He will need some time to get going. week 4.

This team is loaded with returning talent on both sides of the ball especially offense
    The Pac 12 is weak so 10 wins seems pretty easy with this team. Mickey Mouse could coach this team to 10 wins so even Clay Helton can't blow it.

That being said no Pact 12 team is beating LSU, Georgia, Clemson, Alabama in a playoff game. Very good by Pac 12 standards. Average by SEC standards.

My prediction for the 2020 National Championship game. Georgia to win it all you heard it here first.. Jt Daniels will get his NC even if it will be from the bench.

11. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Jun 14, 2020
    Yup, with an O line that could protect him, JT could be dangerous. Sad we couldn't have been that team and I don't blame him one bit for bailing. But you are mistaken if you think that not even Hell-ton could blow it. I also think that your highest hopes for our OC being in league with the likes of Leach, KK, etc, isn't good enough for us because we have to go up against physical ball control teams and we won't win those games. So do you really want a guaranteed 3 losses every year? That's an average of 8.5 - 3.5 at best for the duration with more 7-5's thrown in. I'm not interested in signing up for that. To me what it really depends on is how good Orlando turns out. I know he's at least a game better than the dumpster fire we got rid of, but he needs to get like twice as many stops regardless of turnovers for us to make it to the next level and be competitive with a physical team.

12. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jun 14, 2020
    SC's defensive line needs to show a lot more toughness at the point of attack than they did last year, and the LBs need to show that they at least know what they're doing. The caveat, of course, is keeping Slovis from getting injured. They do that, they have a legitimate shot, IMO.

13. Rodgarnay51

Jun 14, 2020
    Alabama has to stop SC too.

14. Rodgarnay51

Jun 14, 2020
    This is not the same team SC had with Clancy, Baxter, Tee Martin and Max Browne. I give them a shot. I would honestly be more surprised if SC gets mauled than if they win.

15. Rodgarnay51

Jun 14, 2020
    Last time SC had Max Browne. This time they have Kedon Slovis. That is a vast difference at the most important position on the field. If SC can keep him from getting hurt there is no reason why they don't have a shot. Just MHO of course.

Cyrus likes this.
  16. SC87

SC87 Points Member

Jun 14, 2020
    The optimism is refreshing but Bama is bigger, faster, stronger and better coached. Back on planet Earth we will be lucky to keep it close until halftime and then Bama will lean on us and turn it into a blowout. There are some signs that Saban's mojo is wearing thin but not enough to compensate for Bama's enormous talent and big game experience advantage. Sadly:

Bama 53
    SC 17

17. Rodgarnay51

Jun 14, 2020
    A LOT has changed since then, including the entire defensive staff. I can't see Orlando and company letting those guys lay down like Clancy apparently did.

FightonOC likes this.
  18. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Jun 14, 2020
    That is the problem.
    They will probably run the ball 50 times on us. I don't share others optimism the Dline and the LBers are going to be substantially better.

Merlin4SC likes this.
  19. fanoftroy01

fanoftroy01 Points Member

Jun 15, 2020
    You are aware that SC is coached by Helton? When as has SC ever scored 40 plus points under Helton against a bad team?

20. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    I don't care who the HC is because we have a great staff of assistant coaches and coordinators. They are the ones training and gameplanning. I think it will be a close game. Could go either way with me, but I think it will be no more than a 10 point spread for the winner. I'm going, USC 34-31.

aimeedee and Cyrus like this.