USC 2020 football schedule released

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 16, 2020.

1. TruGenX

TruGenX Points Member

Jan 16, 2020
    first - i am throwing out the bama game (pretend its just a little preseason scrimmage- ie: Texas Penitentiary vs Fighting Armadillos) the objective for bama game is to come out with no serious injuries; for 60 minutes-don't get crazy- just play to survive.
    Now with a healthy team they can beat NM, furd, Wash, cal and the zona's. losses to ducks, domers and utes, with ucla being a toss up.
    So we finish 6 -5 or 7-4.

But the real question is how bad will they lose to the ducks, domers, utes and ucla. for me, when you mediocre not all losses sting, just they ones that are massacres.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  2. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Jan 16, 2020
    I always look at the schedule and feel so optimistic and that hasn't changed looking at this schedule. USC should really win 9 games minimum, but they won't. Helton has proven himself to be incompetent with an inability to blow out the teams he should. The only team on the schedule that will be better in 2020 than they were in 2019 is ASU. Stanford will suck, UW will not be as good, Oregon will take a step back, and of course UCLA still sucks. Any competent head coach would make the college football playoff in 2020 at a place like USC.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2020
    That's correct. After all we're going from good to great.

TrojanMafia and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2020
    6-5 is very possible, just hard to know the 2 teams they under perform against. It seems every CH season they beat a team they shouldn’t (se Utah) and lose to a team they shouldn’t (see BYU). But we can bank on losing to Bama, Ore and probably ND.

Should real improvement occur on D (highly dependent DC hire and teams ability to learn new schemes), a 3 lost season is conceivable (and maybe a 2). But there is much riding on that to happen

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Jan 16, 2020
    damn right, those Helton fans need to turn in their SC fan card if they predict anything less than 15-0.

SoCal93 likes this.
  6. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2020
    2-5 by mid season

7. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Jan 16, 2020
    My sense is another 8-4 year at best. Simply can't see us beating Alabama, Oregon, or Utah. Yes Oregon and Utah probably won't be what they were last year, but they'll be playing us in Eugene and Salt Lake City, and we'll be just about what we were last year at best. Also have trouble seeing us beating Notre Dame even though it will be close.

The really scary part is I have trouble seeing us winning all three of Stanford, Arizona, and Fucla on the road, and can see a more physical Herm Edwards-coached ASU knocking us off at home. So anywhere from 7-5 to 5-7 wouldn't be hugely stunning.

The only way I can see 9-3, let alone the possibility of anything better, is this USC offense performs like the 2005 USC offense, or last season's LSU offense.

Esthersar and gubo&palanka like this.
  8. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    After years of getting screwed by the schedulers......we have a soft one. No double travel or really weird dates. No teams off bye. No weather problems. Only 5 travels including the cal rose bowl. The only complaint is we play the better teams in the pac 12........but that is like saying we have to play the mid tier in the big 10.
    Its as if the pac 12 wants us to keep Helton.......now they would not do that.......would they.......yes......they would.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I find these threads very interesting. The experts here have a viewpoint based on 2018. They cannot possibly know the status of each team beyond speculation.
    The viewpoint of our own team cannot (at this early stage) be much clearer than that of the competition.
    For example, who here can expertly opine regarding the status of Jordan Iosofa, Solomon Tuliaupupu, and Bru McCoy? God and Bru's mother are the only ones who truly knows what's going on with him. For all the experts here know, Bru could be the best receiver on the 2020 squad, or he could wind up at linebacker, or he could remain a ghost like last year.
    And while the board experts steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the past two seasons' in a row ridiculous injury situation (refer to actual expert Erik McKinney's write up), 2020 will be a new season with one interesting twist;
    Due to all of the injuries last year, the defensive backfield saw action all the way down to 4th stringer Dorian Hewitt who performed surprisingly well. Also of note was Justin Dedich coming in for Brett.
    Most interesting to me is that the board experts also refuse to recognize that Kedon Slovis lost the BYU game by forcing the ball into interceptions. He will not do that in 2020, and I know this because he stopped doing that in 2019.
    And speaking of QBs, USC will have the absolute best back up in the college football, even though no one here can truly say who that will be.

So at this point the only thing for sure is that we are entering into 2020 with relentless and never ending fan negativity. And this will certainly not be helpful in the Team's preparation for the aforementioned schedule.

Coopsc72 likes this.
  10. Coopsc72

Coopsc72 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Anyone predicting a worse season than last year is just being negative for the sake of being negative . Easier schedule, New DC and ST coaches, more experienced players and hopefully a healthier season.

11. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Not sure how the schedule is easier. We play Alabama and 5 road games in conference instead of 4. We do get ND and UW at home, but we have to play Oregon and Utah on the road.

There's an element of randomness in every college football season. We were basically 2 plays away from going 6-6 this year between the Colorado and ASU games. We don't know who the new coaches will be or how much they'll improve things. I'm predicting 8-4 again, but I wouldn't be shocked if we do worse. I wouldn't be shocked by 9-3, but anything better than that is a pipe dream IMO. Alabama is a guaranteed loss, Oregon is all but guaranteed, and between ND, UW, Utah, ASU, etc. there's likely at least 1-2 more losses in there.

12. Arthur Jury

Arthur Jury Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Sept. 5 – vs. Alabama (@ Arlington, Tex.) LOSS Biggley
    Sept. 12 – New Mexico WIN
    Sept. 19 – at Stanford 50-50 LOSS as its on the road
    Sept. 26 – Arizona State LOSS Herm has it going, we don't
    Oct. 2 (Fri.) – at Utah LOSS Tough team on the high altitude road short-week Friday
    Oct. 10 – California 50-50 guess the WIN
    Oct. 17 – at Arizona On the road but a WIN against a bad team
    Oct. 24 – BYE USC's best week, the only opponent we cannot lose to
    Oct. 31 – Colorado WIN
    Nov. 7 – at Oregon LOSS again bad one
    Nov. 14 – Washington LOSS
    Nov. 21 – at UCLA 50-50 but ucla sux so WIN
    Nov. 28 – Notre Dame LOSS

That puts us at between 5-7 and 7-5. After five games we could conceivably be 1-4.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  13. TruGenX

TruGenX Points Member

Jan 17, 2020

i envy you - nocal
    i can remember when i was this positive at the beginning of each season!
    but then i had to quit sniffing glue.

14. TruGenX

TruGenX Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    what are the point differences between a "Biggley", "Bad", or "LOSS" loss?
    because like i wrote before- when you team is mediocre not all losses will sting- just the massacres.
    for me a massacre is losing by more than 4 touchdowns.

15. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    the post was tongue in cheek. Also mocking the sunshine pumpers who keep changing their stance after every loss and go into hiding when the team loses

ie

first loss - we can still win out and make the playoffs
    second loss - we can still win the Rose Bowl
    third loss - we can still make the PAC12 title
    fourth loss - we can still make the Holiday Bowl
    fifth loss - we can still make a decent bowl
    sixth loss - we can still have a winning season
    seventh loss - if you dont like this team, go root for ucla

16. HBsc

HBsc Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Sept. 5 – vs. Alabama (@ Arlington, Tex.) LOSS
    Sept. 12 – New Mexico WIN
    Sept. 19 – at Stanford WIN -Stanford isn’t gaining any world beaters and we return same talent with year of experience
    Sept. 26 – Arizona State WIN - game is at home, again look to above, same talent more experience
    Oct. 2 (Fri.) – at Utah I say here we have a 60% chance to win this. Utah loses a TON of talent. Only reason they have a chance is bc of a Friday night home game for them
    Oct. 10 – California WIN
    Oct. 17 – at Arizona WIN
    Oct. 24 – BYE
    Oct. 31 – Colorado WIN
    Nov. 7 – at Oregon LOSS - They do lose Herbert and oline talent but the road environment and their defense give them the edge I think we lose by 2 TD’s but hang in for 3 quarters they go up 2 scores late in 4th
    Nov. 14 – Washington WIN - wasn’t impressed with Washington last year and think with Slovis we maybe win that game. At home and the players they’re losing we win this for sure
    Nov. 21 – at UCLA WIN - More talent and have something to play for still at this point in year we get it done
    Nov. 28 – Notre Dame WIN -At home, they lose Book and Supporting players, went into south bend and should’ve won that last year I see no reason we don’t win here.

I think with this schedule we should absolutely win 10 games this year, maybe 9 with the Utah Friday road game. I get y’all dislike helton, I do too as much as the next guy, and wanna be pessimistic but I think these are realistic expectations in year 2 of harrell and all the talent we’re returning

17. USCHusbandUCLAWife

USCHusbandUCLAWife Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I won't guess on how we do until the transfer portal plays out. If we get two Drew Richmond-caliber players for OL, we can win 9 or 10. If not, 6 or 7.

18. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I don't think 10-2 should be considered "realistic expectations" for Helton at this point no matter the talent returning. We barely managed to do that in 2017, scraping by Texas and Utah among others. Book returns for ND, and while we were competitive in that game last year I think they would have beaten us pretty easily by the end of the year given the way both teams were playing. You also have to take into account the likelihood of winning all the games we are favored in. The chances of beating all of Washington, ASU, Cal, Utah, Stanford (if they bounce back) is less than 50% even if you could argue the chances of winning each individual game is above 50%. I could maybe see 9-3 if they upset ND, or if they take care of business against everyone else, but both happening is pretty unlikely IMO.

19. Arthur Jury

Arthur Jury Points Member

Jan 17, 2020
    You do know that Harrell is going to be outta here shortly don't you ? ... actively interviewing for other jobs including NFL as I write this. Apparently there is no honor among thieves (er... I mean assistant coaches) and his 3+ million USC extension contract is meaningless not to be honored.

We have no defensive plan, no defensive coach... what's the improvement there ???

4thamp1 likes this.
  20. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I drank the Kool-Aide before the Iowa game. A game that should have shown marked improvement and resolve to win. What I drank was panther piss. This is an extremely soft team and coaches. There are some exceptional tough young players like St. Brown, Slovis (does not get rattled after hard hits), Gaoteote, Hufanga and Stepp, but the lines are dominated or cannot even push a draw against top 20 teams. The off season is always optimistic but I do not see reasons for optimism. Strategic changes mean CEO's set the agenda and lead. Where is the leadership? Terminating a couple of poor coaches then landing quality proven veteran replacements that change expectations and culture would be strategic. It is all bullshit! Lip service and nothing more.

The best this team can hope for, without getting a high end DC and a culture change that embraces hard hitting practices (bring on the Oklahoma Drill), is outscoring less talented teams. Yeah? I guess a 7-5 record and an ass kicking in the CheezeWiz Weedwacker Bowl in December is worth wasting another year for.

USCSAE likes this.