USC’s top 3 wide receivers

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Apr 10, 2020.

1. KiwiSCfan

KiwiSCfan Points Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Thanks Erik, agree that he’d need a monster year to come close to the others. I don’t think his ability will be the obstacle if he doesn’t, nor the QB play - much of it is in TV’s hands you feel (effort on plays, weight/strength work between now and the season etc).

2. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Apr 12, 2020
    This is it: 1, 3 and 8.

3. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Absolutely, no question these 9 players are USC's best WR's. For me my top 4 based on production are:

1. Keyshawn Johnson, 2. Marquise Lee, 3a. Ju Ju Smith, 3b. Mike Williams.

These Wr's are up there too: Erik Affholter, Johnnie Morton, RJ Soward, Bob Chandler, Damian Williams, and Deontay Burnette

Rebuttal regarding Lynn Swann: Yes, agree with some posters, Swann was an incredible WR; very athletic and acrobatic. But, I ranked my top 4 according to production while at USC and not their Pro career. Swann played when USC ran the ball 80% of the time. Thus, Swann's production does not come close compared to my top 4. But, his amazing talent exploded in the Pro's and at Pittsburg, becoming an All Pro.

Best hands: 1. Erik Affholter, 2. Johnnie Morton, 3a. Bob Chandler, 3b. Mike Pittman

Fastest: 1. Robert Woods, 2. RJ Soward, 3a. Marquise Lee, 3b. Lynn Swann

Powerful/Strongest: 1. Mike Williams, 2. Keyshawn Johnson, 3a. Ju Ju Smith, 3b. Mike Pittman

Best Go To, Mr. Clutch: Erik Affholter, Johnnie Morton, Keyshawn Johnson, Mike Williams.

Most Athletic & All Around: 1. Keyshawn Johnson, 2. Lynn Swann, 3. Ju Ju Smith

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  4. DrJohnDC

DrJohnDC Junior Member

Apr 12, 2020
    It is obvious that a lot of posters never saw Lynn Swann play. Understandable because Swann played in the 70’s and the people we see are higher on the list. That said Swann was an incredible receiver and should be in the top three. He made some mind boggling catches in his career in college and the pros. (Remember the Steelers won four Super Bowls with Swannie). I think Keyshawn is next without question. Number three: 3a,b,c,d,e, etc. So difficult to chose. As everyone has said: unbelievable number of outstanding receivers.
    Fight On

5. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Apr 12, 2020
    I go Key, BMW and Swann (he’s being hurt by his last stint at SC) in my opinion

SGVFlip likes this.
  6. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Apr 13, 2020
    Keyshawn, Lynn, BMW......

7. Arthur Jury

Arthur Jury Points Member

Apr 13, 2020
    This poll leaves off Earl McCullough, Curtis Conway, Johnnie Morton and Steve Smith so by definition incomplete at best.

8. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Apr 13, 2020
    Vaughns has all the tools you need.
    IMHO: He just needs an Attitude Adjustment. I mean that in a respectful way. That's exactly what I would be talking to him about as a coach.

He needs to decide if he just wants to be good or be the "MAN" his last season. It's his choice and he's more than capable of reaching that goal. How do you know if you reached that status? When the opposing team takes a right corner and put him on your side and schemes all week just to stop you. Then you're in the conversation.

Need an example: **Pittman turned the corner and put in the work. He improved dramatically at going up a winning the 50/50 battles. Iowa. Schemed to slow him down. That's how much they respected him.

As for Vaughns: When he's catching jugs balls make the balls go high and wide or low and away. Work on winning jump balls while getting double teamed. Anyone can catch a machine thrown ball throwing right at you under no duress. If you can beat double teams in practice you can will one on ones on Saturday.

9. Ridge Rider

Ridge Rider Points Member

Apr 13, 2020
    In 2003 I had the privilege of standing on the sidelines for the Cougar game. Leinart threw me an out pass that BMW intercepted for a touchdown.
    I am not a small guy, but BMW made me feel like one. Had he stayed those next two seasons, I bet he would have been #1 on most everyone's list.

10. pgoodman

pgoodman Junior Member

Apr 13, 2020
    Pittman had arguable one of the best years at USC last year. Can anyone remember him dropping a pass last year. I know time fades memories but man he owned any ball thrown his way last year. Overall one year does not make a career but dang he was dominating last year

11. Major toor

Major toor Points Member

Apr 13, 2020
    Why are alot of posters picking swan as one of the 3 greatest receivers in sc history. Makes you look more knowledgeable and long time followers?You are in awe of his catches in superbowls? Stop it. Not even close. In today's game he would be an average receiver at best. And in today's time he's proven to be inept and lazy administrator.