USC’s statement regarding receiving NCAA notice of allegations

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 13, 2019.

1. USC’s statement regarding receiving NCAA notice of allegations
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Dec 13, 2019
    USC received a notice of allegations from the NCAA, regarding former assistant coach Tony Bland. USC’s response states:

“USC has received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA related to a former coach in the men’s basketball program. USC has cooperated with the NCAA since it first became aware of the issues raised in the Notice of Allegations. Because the notice involves a pending NCAA case, USC is unable to discuss any of the allegations in or facts relating to the case. USC looks forward to an expeditious resolution of this matter.”

Prism and gubo&palanka like this.

2. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 13, 2019
    If USC receives a tournament ban, USC might be a step ahead by missing the tournament for the 3rd consecutive year.

[​IMG]

3. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Dec 13, 2019
    I know this board doesn't like it, but here is some positive spin.
    Since post Bob Boyd (around 40 years) SC has made the tourney 13 times. About 1 out of every 3 years. No tradition has ever developed. Floyd did the best but was fired for allegately paying a player.
    This is CAE's 7th year. He was left with no talent from CKO (I think the only good player we had transferred to Gonzaga) and won only 5 Pac-12 games in the first 2 years. I'll disregard those years.
    He went to the tourney in the next 2 years and was 2-2. Lost a close game by 2 to advance.
    The next year he won 24 and finished 2nd in the Pac-12 and didn't make the tourney. We all can agree they should have gone. The knock was they did not have a signature non-conference win.
    They did not make it last year (2nd year with no tourney bid). I don't think that team was his best.
    So in 6 years he has gone twice, even counting the first 2 years of no talent.
    This is a better team this year and I think (or hope) we make it. We will have even a better team next year. Big O goes pro, Mobley will improve (I think he stays), his #1 brother comes, Max is going to be really good, the PG position will be more experienced, Drake London, 3-pt shooter transfer from SJS, etc.
    Recruiting is the best we've ever had.
    I don't think the situation with CAE is as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
    I do think he needs to win a tourney game by next year.
    The glass is half full, not half empty.

Jose, bell and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Dec 14, 2019
    There is absolutely no way to spin this. If the NCAA waited THIS long to come down with its notice of allegations, "something" happened beyond Tony Bland taking a few bucks. Very, very hard to believe a guy as smart as CAE was completely in the dark about what was going down. This is not going to have a happy ending for either CAE or the program. Hopefully, when it comes down to rebuilding again, whoever is the AD is going to take a common sense approach rather than being blinded by the light of a single fluky Sweet 16 run.

5. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 14, 2019
    We are not the only one, correct? This is the fallout from the FBI sting, which involved many programs.

I find it hard to believe the ncaa singled us out ... AGAIN .

6. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Dec 14, 2019
    There is absolutely no way to spin this? I think you did a pretty good job.

bell likes this.
  7. SCFan82

SCFan82 Member

Dec 14, 2019
    I think this is absolutely crap. Stupid USC compliance held out DeAnthony Melton for the year and messed up the mojo for a possible sweet 16 team. Yet there’s no sanctions for Arizona who played Ayton for the year, or Arizona State who played Taeshon Cherry who was supposedly “player8”. UNC had players taking classes that didn’t exist and got a slap on the wrist and Bill Self who was doing things at Kansas 10 times worse than what Bland did here. Why is USC being singled out yet again.

At this point, I’d like to see SC tell the NCAA to go f**k themselves and just play out the year. Tell them to go focus on Chase Young, and stop with USC already.

Jose and gubo&palanka like this.
  8. Prism

Prism Active Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Thanks for the summary. A couple things are clear: poor Melton really got railroaded. Not only did he have to sit and watch his guys play without him as well as dealing with the psychological crap that comes with being falsely accused on a national stage, but his draft stock was almost surely affected. Nothing good ever comes from micromanaging ie swan. Keep your damn hands off and let people do their jobs.

gubo&palanka likes this.