Urban not ruling out 2020

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Ahem,.... FireHose. . . .

hy·per·bo·le
    /hīˈpərbəlē/
    1. Exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    Why do you automatically assume that Meyer had control over all the above you cite; "details of the activities at some of these departments, partners, and facilities?" After the media had a microscope up his ass for years now, what more "possible many more things left to be revealed as well" are you expecting to hear at this point?

It seems to me the sanctimony is really about your desire to "sideline a bad optics," and obviously many others want the same. But our football program doesn't really have bad optics.

sanc·ti·mo·ny
    /ˈsaNG(k)təˌmōnē/
    1. the action or practice of acting as if one were morally superior to other people.
    Urban placed Smith on leave when he ordered the investigation on the third occasion because Smith wasn't getting his shit together even though Urban attempted to help him get counseling several times. Reality is Urban should not have brought Smith to OSU. Unfortunately, it is rare that ADs can dictate to HC hires who they must retain on staff. I recall Garrett doing that with Pete Carroll and Coach and and Coach P were the only ones Pete agreed to keep. Maybe that's a good thing, but that is the same jeopardy and risk you would face with any HC hire.

Once again, I always have to point out -- as the rhetoric flies back and forth -- that I do not like Urban Meyer the man for other reasons, but Zach Smith is a convenient excuse for many to hate him. I like Urban Meyer the coach and I only want to see us get back into the CFP conversation and win conference championships, which would happen in short order. I also know Urban wants to retire here in LA and would likely do so in a few short years. I just want everyone to be real about their feelings and ask why they feel that way and also for them to be honest about priorities, and for SC football not to revert to Tollner days and certainly to stop the clown show.

jjg4sc likes this.
  2. K9Buck

K9Buck Active Member

Sep 13, 2019
    You don't need to worry about Meyer. You may win the PAC this year. Worst case scenario is probably 10 wins. Helton may get an extension.

Rhett Salem likes this.
  3. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    If we play like we did in the second half against Stanford, not smoke and mirrors, keep improving, recruiting gets back to elite status and we win the BIG games...yeah, you maybe right. Extension? Hmm...only if he wins a national title this year.

If not, Folt needs to get serious and bring in AD and head coach who will take USC to where it belongs without any nonsense and noise - national titles, heismans, all-americans, etc.

The subpar crap needs to stop. It's very transparent. Bring in the best and you will see a good product on the field.
    Fight on!

Trojan12 likes this.
  4. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Helton haters always want to say this, but the reality is that there’s no way he’s getting another extension, even if he wins the NC this year. He already got an extension, and it would take several years of success before they’d consider another one.

5. K9Buck

K9Buck Active Member

Sep 13, 2019
    How many wins must Clay have to keep his job? 9? If he only wins 8, is he gone? USC has him under contract through 2023; is that guaranteed money? And then who would you hire? Urban is a no-brainer IF he wants to coach again. Otherwise, who?

Here's another thought. If he's retained but not extended, would that hurt recruiting?

And to think that you could have hired Chris Peterson and if Helton gets fired, you'll be on your third coach since Peterson went to UW.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  6. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Man you really don’t want Meyer at SC do you?

LDIABootney, Cyrus and Trojan12 like this.
  7. KeenObserver

Sep 13, 2019
    Found not guilty. Different standard of proof. I’m sure you knew that.

8. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Why do some people also spell UW’s Petersen as Peterson?

in2nation and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  9. K9Buck

K9Buck Active Member

Sep 13, 2019
    If he's going to return to coaching, I prefer him out in LA rather than, say, Talahasee. Ohio State and USC don't often go head-to-head for recruits. My biggest concern is whether Urban would take some of our assistants and support staff, regardless of where he coaches.

With that said, I would be surprised if he coaches again, but I wouldn't blame him if he did.

10. KeenObserver

Sep 13, 2019
    For the record I don’t want Meyer

DJ4SC likes this.
  11. SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    We have enough posters here that sound like Hineygate. You are unnecessary.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  12. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I see a lot of certainty in this thread about what USC will do, who they would hire, who they wouldn't. I suspect none of us really has a clue, especially with a new president and -- at some point -- a new AD. I didn't think USC would go to the Rose Bowl in 2016 after starting out in what was maybe the worst early season performance I've ever seen from the Trojans. I also didn't think you could survive a 5-7 season and a loss to one of the worst UCLA teams in history. I didn't think Kedon Slovis would humiliate Stanford in his first start. It's safe to say I don't know very much.

I do know this: Urban Meyer is the best college football coach of the last 25 years not named Nick Saban. There is nobody else like him. Not Stoops (though he's very good). Not Campbell (though I like him). Hiring Meyer would be a major temptation for anybody who needs to win football games, despite his baggage. If he wants to coach again, and I bet he does, somebody is going to hire him, and that somebody will probably win a lot of games.

13. K9Buck

K9Buck Active Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Would some of you gentlemen prefer USC to go 5-7 just to be sure that Helton gets fired as opposed to going, say 11-1 in the regular season and reaching the PAC-12 title game?

Troken likes this.
  14. K9Buck

K9Buck Active Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Dabo Swinney is pretty good. Anyway, rest assured, there is a great young coach(s) out there right now that are just waiting to be given the chance.

bell likes this.
  15. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Absolutely not. The reason I supported replacing Helton is because I think he has flaws as a coach that cause his teams to under-perform. If we're going 11-1 with him, why would I want him gone?

DaFireMedic likes this.
  16. K9Buck

K9Buck Active Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Hinyegate sucks. Can you put me on "ignore"?

I love college football and I enjoy discussing it with other fan bases. Besides, I I'm at work with nothing better to do than to talk football with folks like you. I work for the federal government.

17. K9Buck

K9Buck Active Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I'm with you. It just sounds like some would prefer Helton to falter so that he gets fired. Helton has had success. Maybe last year was an aberration.

Beat Utah and you guys will talking about the playoffs.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  18. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    For the record, I want Meyer. Dude is ELITE coach. If Gomer doesn't make the cut...you take Meyer. If he's game.

Merlin4SC, LDIABootney and Trojan12 like this.
  19. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    The only possible justification for hiring Urban Meyer is for the potential afterglow effect that Ohio State is enjoying now.

So, you make it very clear what your expectations are publicly and he agrees.

Then in 2-3 years he would have changed the culture and hired in a really good set of coaches that can pick up immediately when the school fires UM for not living up to the agreement.

20. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I'm no gentleman but no I would not prefer that.