Urban not ruling out 2020

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Sep 12, 2019.

1. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Sep 12, 2019
    OJ Simpson as AD and Urban Meyer as HC. Nikias teaching a class on greed (doesn't that scumbag actually teach a class?)

Let's do it.

2. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Nightmare fuel but we win though right?

3. norcalsurfer

Sep 12, 2019
    When I found out OJ was on twitter, I was like this can't be real. He's still insane.

Something is not right when OJ is telling Antonio Brown to forget about his old helmet and play football so OJ can benefit on fantasy football.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never donate to SC until 30 years down the road. That budget for a Liverpool/Ireland trip is looking real good right now.

4. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey, hey, OJ was proven innocent come on now...

I'd take that trip for sure.

5. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Sep 12, 2019
    It sounds much more like you’ll carry his sack.

The Lizard King likes this.
  6. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Yes, Meyer is now like Phil Jackson. He will go somewhere he has a shot at winning the NC. ND is a more likely destination than fucla, since it also used to be one of his 2 dream jobs. But he passed on them before and there may not be a job opening there.

bob c in az likes this.
  7. norcalsurfer

Sep 12, 2019
    Florida St. He can still get that recognition of winning a national title in 3 difference conferences.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  8. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Give me the name of the person who will authorize USC's next AD to even talk to Urban and we can keep this thread going. It's not a trick question.

9. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Whether they are a good coach or not hinges on one game?
    In that case, they are not a great coach.

LDIABootney likes this.
  10. norcalsurfer

Sep 13, 2019
    I should have mentioned that Campbell's stock goes down if he loses to Iowa, like how Babers's stock went down after losing badly to Maryland.

With that said, he was good enough to garner interest from some NFL teams as well as possible successor to Urban Meyer at Ohio St.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-likely-to-reach-out-to-iowa-states-matt-campbell-whos-very-much-on-nfl-teams-radar/

11. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Really? There are “at least “ three coaches out there who can win three national championships and have his record. Who?? Dabo, saban, and mac brown?? I love how people think winning three national championships is easy.
    Potential is the most overrated word in the English language.

Merlin4SC and LDIABootney like this.
  12. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Look up the definition of the word “postulate,” it’s not a trick word,
    Jack.

13. norcalsurfer

Sep 13, 2019
    Mac brown won the national title 3 times?

Before 2015 nobody took Dabo seriously to have Clemson as a dynasty.

zitorocks likes this.
  14. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Fine, I postulate that after we get done paying off everyone in the Tyndall scandal, there will not be enough money to field a football team, hence any discussion concerning the hiring ANY coach will be moot :-)

DJ4SC and TrojanHorseshoe like this.
  15. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 13, 2019
    Forget the money, just the focus alone.

16. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Then FireHorse should be referring to Hernandez and Smith as "pieces of trash" right? Although I didn't add up all the numbers of players arrested wherever Urban coached, we do know SEC players have a penchant for doing stupid shit and getting arrested. But to honestly assess this, find out who really ran interference for the real trash. That doesn't happen without consent of the administration at a minimum. Look into the Criminole's Heisman campaign, shoving multiple rapes aside. I am still absolutely livid at the way the Sheriff in Tallahassee covered up the Jamies Winston rapes, and that was ACC. That was Art Bryles Baylor in the ACC crap. No one forgets Scam Newton either. But I am not talking about nor would Urban want to be our permanent solution. He is a turnaround artist and is already getting itchy to get back to coaching. I say let him turn us around and retire in 3-4 years, maybe less. Do you think Urban would cause that kind of shit to happen here? Remember we are the ones who cast players aside at mere allegations, and we don't tolerate abuse around here for two minutes. Just ask Bubba Bolden, etc etc.

Trojan12 and Ladera Trojan like this.
  17. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    These guys may have potential... maybe. Potential like Meyer... doubt it. Very few have what Meyer has... in these days probably only Saban and Swinney.

Tom Herman has potential, Ed O has potential, K Smart has potential... they also have an athletic department, fan base and top recruits behind them that WANTS to win. The guys you name had some good wins and maybe better than expected seasons or two. But they will not or haven't even won their conference. Perhaps, with an increase in talent, they could be great, but there is nothing to suggest they will be Meyer. That dude won at Bowling Green, Utah, FL and O State. He is a winner, like Saban. They win not matter where they coach.

travyav, LDIABootney and Trojan12 like this.
  18. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 13, 2019
    That's what I was alluding too but I didn't have the sources offhand.

I really don't think the school or admin will take the risk. Because like other's have mentioned, when you try and get UB he demands full control of the program. And those things happened, while he "controlled" the two or three programs. He's been at, I mean, I want the best HC for USC but not headache man.

This is important and those schools are all in (for better or for worse), in making the best winning environment. And understand the value it brings, instead of playing Russian roulette with house money, at a loss.

19. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Sep 13, 2019
    ...and I don't want any of the people involved in _any_ of that stuff involved in a program that already needs to run a tighter ship. Not the coaches, not the Athletic Departments. Simple how it works when you're consistent, innit?

Read Hernandez's wikipedia page and you'll get a sense of exactly how much an damaged and unstable young man was taken advantage of for his talents by Meyer. His every mis-deed covered for when it was advantageous for Meyer, and he was cast aside once it wasn't.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  20. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I am being serious here, not clowning:

What if the AD opening is to attract someone like Meyer with the offer of being HC and AD (in title) at the same time?

It's not that common anymore, recently I can think of Alvarez and Belotti both who became AD's immediately _after_ being Football HC (I think Osborne took a few years off between), but in both cases that was more being "kicked upstairs" in favor of a hot new flavor in HC. Fulmer too, but his star as the Head Football Coach had faded by the time he was kicked upstairs.

Anyway - it wouldn't be conventional... but it's not 100% implausible, is it?
    Edited to add: I just realized that if he's "Athletic Director" in title, that allows him to take some or all of that position's pay as well, so maybe they can't hit a certain number that other schools can for some reason for the head ball coach job, but they can offer him something even more lucrative all told...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019