Urban not ruling out 2020

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Sep 12, 2019.

2. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    There are holier-than-thou posters on this board that don’t believe in giving people 2nd chances, even if they’d be considered a home-run hire and would undoubtedly put ‘SC back on the map in no time and would have ‘SC’s rivals shaking in their boots.

What these folks don’t admit is that they’d be ecstatic once ‘SC is back on top and competing with ‘Bama and Clemson with this hire.

3. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019

There are posters on this board that can’t count.

4. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Sep 12, 2019
    There are at least 3 other coaches with Meyer-like potential that can get SC to the top without Meyer's baggage.

it would be quite funny if Meyer came here and some posters boycotted SC but never boycotted SC when Nikias was in charge. Nikias has some baggage too.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  5. TrojanHorseshoe

Sep 12, 2019
    If you don’t think Matt and Reggie are working Urban, remember that Reggie admitted that he’d be doing just that!

jjg4sc likes this.
  6. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    All 3 of them (Carroll, Saban, Swinney) are happily employed.

So is Belichick.

Stoops is good but not at Meyer’s level.

Who else?

7. norcalsurfer

Sep 12, 2019
    I said Meyer-like potential and not Meyer-clones

Stoops
    Kris Richard
    Matt Campbell (this could change depending on Saturday's matchup with Iowa, Campbell has never beaten Iowa)

8. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    It has nothing to do with 2nd chances and everything to do with character. Urban's is compromised and over a period of time. He's shown who he is and I believe him. Shaking in their boots? Lol.

Of course I want USC football to be competitive but not at that price.

9. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    I've asked this question before. Urban cannot hire himself and the people who are in a position to do the hiring would most likely drop football before giving him an interview. So how does he get hired?

10. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Got nothing to do with being holy, got everything to do with putting football over people. And that shouldn't be that hard to square away. Espiecally if said person is a repeat offender in other area's.

This ain't his first rodeo.

Can't do anything about Nikias, he was the president. But I surely know that he's a piece of trash for allowing what he did. So that's moot, in either case. Certainly, an HC has control over his staff and he made the decision to keep him on and tOSU's AD allowed it.

Doesn't that sound familiar? money over the safety of students, reputation, the image of the school and certain departments patients even. Something over something.

Also, this wasn't the first time Urban has allowed such things. Just check the books at Flordia.

11. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    What do you know that we don't know FireHorse? And why are you being hyperbolic with words like "piece of trash?" Don't you think that's a little over the top? You mention Florida, who besides the same subject Zach Smith was a problem for Meyer at Florida? As far as sanctimony, why do you place more of a premium on monitoring an assistant's domestic life over Pete Carroll monitoring players' parents' housing arrangements? Truth is neither you or I have any control over who becomes president of the University or the HC of our football program. I am not willing to continue on getting embarrassed by Hellton to make you happy about avoiding possible future domestic issues. And you shouldn't conveniently forget that it was Urban Meyer who asked the AD to investigate Smith. Maybe choose words more carefully, especially since none of us were involved at OSU with first hand info.

12. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Here's a thought: What if he doesn't come to USC, but decides to coach another P 12 team, say Arizona or UCLA?

Merlin4SC, jjg4sc and TrojanHorseshoe like this.
  13. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Sep 12, 2019
    I must respectfully disagree on all three.

However, there IS one service academy guy for whom I keep banging the drum that I think does have that kind of success in his future. But with a lunch-pail, service academy mindset. But I'll spare everyone the constant drum-banging.

jjg4sc likes this.
  14. TrojanHorseshoe

Sep 12, 2019
    Exactly. Don’t think for a second that other universities will bat an eye at hiring Urban.

Uscvball & Trojack, I appreciate your fandom and insightful posts, and you both have good points, but the fact of the matter is that other universities will snatch up Urban if we don’t.

Trojack, I know that it is unlikely that USC will hire Urban given that USC needs fresh starts on many grounds, but that doesn’t mean we can’t postulate that USC’s next AD will hire Urban. USC’s next AD knows that USC needs a winner after the last DECADE of incompetence and mediocrity on the administrative AND coaching side of the ball.

LDIABootney and Merlin4SC like this.
  15. BigBen

BigBen Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    He’s not coming out of retirement to coach Arizona or UCLA

16. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 12, 2019
    I'm being a matter a fact, nothing I said is really that hyperbolic.

The fact remains, Nikias allowed things to go on when I'm sure he knew and didn't get in front of it when it first cropped up. A story that broke had to bring it to light first, along with a bunch of other things following it, all under his watch. With possible many more things left to be revealed as well. So yeah, I'm gonna say that it's okay to call him a "piece of trash" given the details of the activities at some of these departments, partners, and facilities.

Furthermore, i understand the embarrassment part but football is just a sport and people are more important. And I also understand the feeling with Helton being named HC in 2016, like would I have put him in charge? hell no. But to compare Pete and the sanctions to Meyer's making a decision to sideline a bad optics and moral issue situation. By keeping him on staff, despite knowing of three reported incidents even while under investigation (rather he informed the AD or not). Speaks to a particular, disconnect imo.

But besides that, trying to parallel those two things is an ill-advised choice. Because of the dubious nature of the former and the seemingly common-sense process, it should have been but ultimately rooted in hubris that it became. One was seemingly about taken down USC, to make them an example. It speaks to a weird vendetta towards USC that the NCCA has.

So again, nothing sanctimonies here. And to be very clear here; I'm don't think coaches should learn on the job at big-time programs, very often. Like if you asked me if Helton could get USC back to his rightful place? no, not fast enough. But do I think he was the right cleanser for a time? yes. Now has it overstayed its welcome? yes, most likely. Yet I also don't think that USC should attach itself to more baggage, especially not similar baggage, that faces the school proper.

Overall, regardless of the outcome of the season or how the team performs from a new AD perspective (I'm sure). It will ultimately be his or her choice, whether to keep Helton on for another season. Or let him go, but I'm not going be, super pumped for UB, given those factors.

Let alone the campus reaction.

Otherwise, I'm all in on other high-quality Head Coach choices. Because you never know when UB will have another headache.

17. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Uh my dude, what about the 31 arrests of his players during his time there?

And that doesn't even include Aaron Hernandez. After a shooting in Gainesville - while he was on the team - he was positively ID'd by witnesses. But Meyer and staff ran interference and he _wasn't even arrested_.

And we all know where that saga went from there.

Who beyond Smith, indeed.

18. norcalsurfer

Sep 12, 2019
    More coaches the better, a bigger list where the 3rd choice is 90% as good as the first choice is win for SC. With Swann gone and Folt here, I'm liking SC's chances to land a coach with player development and actual preaching of physicality. I didn't mention the Army coach because the top 3 are popular and easy to talk about. I'd prefer him over the defensive coordinators Venables and Aranda too.

AnArchitect likes this.
  19. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 12, 2019
    That's the stuff I'm talking about.

Then you got the stuff besides Smith on a lesser scale, at Ohio State where players have gotten off.