Urban Meyer officially announced as Jacksonville Jaguars head coach

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 14, 2021.

1. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    So basically Ty Willingham

Trojack and Cardinal&Gold like this.
  2. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021

First off Clay Helton is not working cheap. 4.6 million makes him higher than average. Source USA today.

Secondly, So in the entire universe of college football. Clay Helton is the only one in your opinion that meets your criteria?

Hahaha. Common really!!!

Not any of the Alabama or Clemson assistant coaches could come in and do the job and stay out of trouble?

Right now I'd hire Georgia Defensive coordinator Dan Lanning over Clay Helton and he's never had a HC job. He would be cheap 3 million range and has a history of being a top recruiter. Rumors are if Sark hires DC Pete Golding away from Alabama. Saban will pursue DC Dan Lanning from Georgia that's how good he is.

BTW: Luke Fickell makes 3.4 million a year. Matt Campbell 3.5 million. Clay Helton makes 4.6 million a year

So Fickell and Campbell are cheaper.

Hey Keen maybe they can recycle:
    Rick Neuheisel. Since the criteria is to be a squeeky clean nice guy not win.

I can't believe I'm hearing this. You know Nick Saban is known for being a bit of an A$$hole but he wins.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  3. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Or maybe dust off Rick Neuheisel and put him in.

Winning be dammed.

**It's not like boosters could buy out Clay Helton like Texas and Auburn just did. The Tyndall financial excuse is horse$#!t. They found the money to pay assistant coaches Graham Harrell 1.2 million a year. DB coach Donate Williams almost 1 million a year and over pay Clay Helton.

***If they wanted to make it happen with boosters they could. Rick Caruso is worth 3.4 billion. Maybe he can give up some of that cash. Nobody is buying USC is poor this is not Fullerton City College.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  4. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Relax, C&G - it was meant to be sarcastic, and what I believe are the USC administration's unrealistic criteria.

Urban wanted 12MM per year. That's out of reach for nearly any college program, let alone USC.

I'm just saying that, for USC's powers that be to can Clay Helton, any candidate would not only have to be significantly better than Helton (and as we have seen with Herman, Harbaugh, Scott Frost and Chip Kelly, that's never a sure thing) but also be clean as a whistle and run a program where the athletes are not going to make the news for things off the field.

5. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    And let go of the player once he's off the field. People forget how tough of a thing that is for a football coach, especially an elite one. At a lot of places, the coach holds sway over everything the player does, whether in the classroom or in his free time. At USC, the university has the final say on everything not directly related to what the player does on the football field. I suppose there are coaches out there who would accept that kind of relationship but certainly not rainmakers like an Urban, Saban, or Swinney.

6. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 15, 2021
    upload_2021-1-15_17-13-34.gif

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  7. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jan 16, 2021
    Urban is reportedly hiring former Texas HC and current Bama analyst Charlie Strong as a LB coach. He has also said he will not try to get any of the Ohio state coaches as he has so much love for that school.

8. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Jan 16, 2021
    I agree with the other posters that Urban was open to the possibility of coaching USC but it was never happening b/c of how scandal-ridden USC has been. The optics of hiring Urban after covering up for his assistant’s domestic abuse after USC’s own perv gyno scandal would have been truly awful, and I don’t blame Folt for turning down boosters’ offers to buyout claydohgsh*t’s contract for that reason.

Alas, t’was never happening.

I now question whether USC is a desirable coaching gig. We haven’t been relevant in a decade now. When claydohgsh*t’s contact ends the administration needs to clean house and start afresh. GH’s gimmick air raid with an absent run game is not winning Nattys.

After the ‘22 season I think Bohn will make an intelligent hire. He is a seasoned AD, knows that his legacy at USC will be tied to that hire, and will have had years by that point to put together a candidate list.

It’ll be interesting. Sadly, until then we are mired in mediocrity with claydohgsh*t.

Winter ‘22 can’t come soon enough.

FTFO

9. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 16, 2021
    Jags will be playoffs bound by the end of year one. It's not hard to win in the NFL anymore. Teams hit on a formula. They win. The league catches up. That's been the cycle with the exception of New England.

10. Trojan Man 30

Trojan Man 30 Junior Member

Jan 16, 2021
    And we are trending up!

11. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 16, 2021
    [​IMG]