Urban Meyer, Clay Helton and 2020

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GLYCERINE, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Urban Meyer, Clay Helton and 2020
    GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Is there any scenario in which we actually have a successful season this year 10 wins and conference title and Clay Helton is still relieved of his duties at the end of the year ? Maybe Urban says he would like to coach here ( despite what we all may think of it ) and USC goes for it?

2. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Is there any scenario in which Nick Saban wants to ride a white horse to work everyday while holding a sword (despite what we all may think of it) and USC goes for it?

Troy21511 likes this.
  3. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    I understand you have deemed yourself Clay Helton defender but this is not about bashing Helton ... it’s about a scenario that may present itself

4. SoAmericanTrojan

SoAmericanTrojan Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Why exploring the possibilities......Meyer does not deserve USC......when his bud the spousal abuser (Smith) hints Meyer wants the job is time to run the other way

Ojaitrojan likes this.
  5. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    10 wins and a Conference Championship getting Clay fired and Urban hired is the furthest thing from a scenario that may present itself, in my opinion.

You do know me too well though...I'm supporting the current staff and players until they are not, no matter what.

While it wasn't your intention, this feels like another, "Who should be USC's next HC?"

6. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Unlike some I am rooting for the success of Clay

But if he wins the games where we outmatch the other teams talents and get taken to the woodshed by the teams with more equal talent I can see a scenario in which a switch is made

Especially if The new press gets rid of Swann

7. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    I don’t see a scenario like that unless Clay has health issues. We already have a bad rep in the coaching profession for how we handled Sark and Kiffin. Remember you might have to fire Clay with no promise of Meyer, unless you’re Auburn.

8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    I just don’t see any scenario where Helton gets 10 wins and a conference title and still gets fired. There would have to be something happen that is not related to football performance for that to happen.

9. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    For 9 wins, I can see a path to Helton getting fired. For double-digit wins seems far-fetched. Getting Urban as his replacement seems even more far-fetched... Folt - or any sane president - would be touching a domestic abuse involvement in addition to the drug & sexual abuse cases we’re going through right now.

10. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    ^ This. We do not want the reputation of a team that has no loyalty. That would guarantee a culture of instability for years to come.

11. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    If Helton does not win at least 9 or 10 games... I could absolutely see a possibility where he is released for 6 or 7 wins.

If Urban is willing, he may be the next HC. From a strictly football standpoint, great hire. He would bring major respectability and national attention, along with recruits giving SC a major look. Would it bring conversations about when he was tOSU, possibly. Does winning cure, yes, definitely more often than not... see Tiger and many other examples.

Being an alum of SC, I feel as though I'm on the fence with a possible hire of Urban. For football and winning, absolutely I'm with it. All programs have their fare share of issues, some become public and some do not. Roll the dice I suppose. If HCCH and this new staff win 10 games, I'm sure the powers that be would rather keep him and the good guy image and see what happens moving forward.

Trojan Man 30 and qqqqqqqman like this.
  12. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    It's not that far fetched - IF Swannie has that kinda of latitude. I don't think he does though. Stranger things have happened.

In the past as you correctly observed, it depended on the trajectory of the program how we won and how we lost, and are the kids developing. Like I always say, Hellton's signature wins were games he barely scrapped by in spite of himself, but the signature losses were abject all-time embarrassments, and we wasted so many great recruiting classes. That's were I'm coming from on this issue.

reaLchaZZZy, GLYCERINE, RPBSC and 2 others like this.
  13. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Why are so many people supporting Helton based on his nice guy image and not judging his coaching skills or abilities? He has failed so many recruits by not developing their skills or not playing them over less skilled players. His practices doesn't allow the players to get the most out of them. The S&C hasn't been up to par. His gumbo Offense is a joke. Clancy's lack of rotation and playing younger players has slowed development. Special teams not worth mentioning. He can't match wits with any HC's with game planning, adjustments, use of timeouts, or challenges. Why is he a good coach? Because skilled players bail him out and Faith Family Football?

14. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    A coach like Meyers would bring a instant buzz to USC and the college Football world. His name attached to USC and you would have USC in the Playoffs talk imediatly. His coaching and staff he'd assemble, our players, and the recruits that would flock to us would have us competing for NC's. Not hopefully a Pac 12 title.

15. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    10 conf wins and a conf title (assuming a bowl win to go with this pipe dream), would mean a 12-win season (out of 14 games). Seems like a longshot, coming off last season. Who was the last team to go from 5-7 (no bowl), to winning conf? I'm too lazy to research.

So a longshot in record, and a longshot in Urb coming out of retirement (again) and want to coach at SC (his wife would have to be willing to go from Salt Lake>Gainsville>Columbus to LA)?

So a hypothetical on two longshots coming together, and wondering if we'd shitcan Helton at that point and be willing to not only eat the remainder of his contract, but also be willing to pay whatever Urb wants (considering we've gone bargain-basement on the last several coaches)...

If this is a thought-exercise to explore what our crack-admin might be capable of, then that's interesting. If we're gauging the actual probability of this happening...I'm putting money on the AZ Cardinals to the SB this season.

16. DaFireMedic

Jun 19, 2019
    Out of curiosity, who is doing this? I seem to be reading more negative comments and personal attacks from many on Helton himself than actual criticism of his coaching. It goes both ways. I agree, he should be judged based on his coaching.

Yes, except that he hired GH for that very reason. We wont be seeing Helton's "gumbo" offense anymore.

TrojanFireHorse12 and Pudly76 like this.
  17. DaFireMedic

Jun 19, 2019
    I don't know the answer, but I do know that Meyer took an Ohio St. team that was 6-7 the previous year and pulled off a 12-0 record in 2012 while under sanctions that kept them from going to a bowl game.

Not too many here are predicting a 12 win season next year. Most of the more optimistic folks here (myself included) are predicting 9 wins, possibly 10 if the new offense really clicks (total, including the conference title game and/or bowl game).

Trojan Man 30 and Pudly76 like this.
  18. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    So what planet other than earth have you been living on for the last six months?

All the position coaches are new.
    The OC is new, with a completely different offensive scheme and philosophy.
    Clancy has streamlined his defense.
    The entire S&C staff is new....

19. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    You'd think as a USC fan, he'd know these simple facts....

20. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Jun 19, 2019
    There is just too much noise about this story. I think there is something to it. Like Glycerine said above, I am rooting for Clay to win and win NOW. If the first half of the year proves too difficult and Clay goes 3-3 or worse, he's gone and Urban will most likely step in. But this is only my opinion and you all know what they say about opinions.