Updating position battles halfway through spring ball

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Apr 14, 2021.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 14, 2021
    Is Dart the best duel threat QB?

3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Apr 14, 2021
    Yes. Not close. His legs make him a weapon running the ball, but we saw with Jack Sears that you aren't going to win a quarterback battle just by being the best runner. He'll need to process the offense and make the throws as well.

4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 14, 2021
    Recall at SD Trojan Club Graham saying Jack ran more than he liked

5. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Apr 14, 2021
    Mostly because he was running for his life! CGH should have been teaching him how to read a defense faster and go to his hot routes.

6. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Apr 15, 2021
    It seems Helton always has his own spin zone to the press, but when push comes to shove I have to believe it is Harrell that will set the rank order of the QB’s. With all that is riding on this Air Raid offense and Helton still on the Hot seat, I think Harrell will do what is necessary to give him the best chance to succeed if Slovis goes down and I don’t think it will be Hassan. My guess is that it will either be Moss or Dart as the backup to Slovis, and my guess is Dart. We hopefully will see some type of pecking order after spring or when summer practices start up.
    This decision maybe the most critical as our Oline is still suspect. It may also determine our season should Slovis go down like last season when he went down in the PAc12 championship game and that left us vulnerable should we have gone to a bowl game. Helton was lucky he had Covid as an out. His luck may run out this year!
    Fight On!

7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    Clay has Folt & BOT backing him.

Trojack likes this.
  8. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    Clay is on the hot seat with the fans and to a certain extent with Bohn, but at the end of the day, Folt and the BOT will determine Clay's future and so far, there is no indication they want him to do anything other than to finish out his contract. Keen has brought this up ,and I concur, that the thing we really need to fear is that Folt pulls another Nikias and extends him.

Hockey10 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  9. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    Wake up in a cold sweat dreaming of that nightmare.

pgoodman and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  10. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    It's certainly a scary thought. But the USC of today is not the USC I went to in the late 60s-early 70s and nothing they do surprises me anymore. People will do a lot better trying to understand the football program by suspending disbelief.

11. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    Thanks for the update. Couple thoughts:
    • B. Pili seems to be snake bit. It is as if he will continue to have injuries that are just enough to keep him on the sideline more than not (not sure if there is more behind why that is). Hope I'm wrong.
    • I'm guessing all 3 reserve QB's are shown on depth chart as equals . But when push comes to shove (ie, Slovis has to come out of a game) the less risky pick is on the field (vs the highest upside)
    • The new OL coach is most likely drinking from a firehose as he assesses his group. It sounds like there is a balance here of going with your gut and evaluating the younger guys.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  12. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I agree with this full heartedly. I don't necessarily like it but I agree with it. I believe a lot of fans want Helton gone and from Bohn's moves and actions he also would replace Helton but Folt and the BOT will torture us. It is unfortunate that because of other mistakes and scandals us Football fans have to suffer. I just wonder if they would make up the difference if they hired a top notch coach and played for NC'S again. If fans are so upset they stop attending games and stopped buying merchandise vs being excited about having a new HC. Having the fans spend money would they soon make up the loss of Helton's contract? I'd like to see these figures or calculations.

13. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Days of fans buying out the bookstore are gone. Recall an alumna buying all 250 NC banners from student clerk. Another fan told him that wasn’t fair , lol. The fan with the 250 banners told me her alumni club would raffle off as scholarships fund raiser

14. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Apr 16, 2021
    They may want to give both some early game experience if they get the opportunity in a runaway game just to keep s
    Slovis fresh, but also leave open the door for a possible redshirt for both by only using them in four games. Then they can run in Hassan to preserve their redshirts after that.

Hockey10 likes this.
  15. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Not being a smart @$$. Honest question. Do you think those days are gone because of how fans feel about Helton and the team now and do you think that would change had we hired lets say UM and won a NC? L.A is known as fair weather fans. We love winners. Some of us are diehards but others will only show up and support a winner. With Helton the team has been in a decline and so has fan support. If we start making the playoffs and win a NC fans will come out and buy merchandise. You see it with all teams in L.A.

16. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Apr 16, 2021
    Agreed. I'd do everything possible to get them both snaps this season, even if it's just taking a knee to finish a game. Although getting them a live rep would likely be very beneficial for the 2022 season.

17. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    It would be nice to get both some game time this year. See what they can do and give both reason to believe they can win the starting job next year. With the transfer portal I wouldn't want either one to feel 2nd string to the other. Possibly leading to a transfer and leaving us only a RS FR/ SO and Freshmens for next year.

pgoodman likes this.