(Updated) Monday update on Helton’s future as USC head coach (Sunday recap)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 1, 2019.

1. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Exactly. The uncertainty is a major factor in the recruiting disaster we are looking at. If they decide to retain Helton, they need to make an announcement, and the sooner the better.

No news yet gives me the impression that they have either not yet decided on Helton returning, or that they have decided to go with a new HC.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  2. seanmerc

seanmerc Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I was thinking the exact same thing. There is a terrible lack of civility on this board. It’s sadly reflective of society in general.

It’s fine to have a strong opinion about the football team and its head coach, but that doesn’t make it right to belittle another human being by calling them demeaning names like “soft serve,” “Gomer,” etc.

People might not approve of Clay Helton’s performance as the coach, but they should be able to do so without calling him derogatory names. He is a human being; a man of excellent character. He deserves basic respect.

Too many people feel free to say or do such things while hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet. It’s more of a reflection on the name-caller’s character than on Clay Helton.

DaFireMedic, GoSC1 and jjg4sc like this.
  3. oajr01

oajr01 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    They haven't landed the new coach yet, hence no decision/comment to let CCH go.

Middle of the road they won't go, I think USC wants the something close to the best this go around.

I think it's as simple as that.

add: What gives me pause? The pictures of Helton at recruit's homes (if taken today). Then again, he is still being paid to do a job.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  4. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    This situation needs to be addressed with full confidence for Mr.Fight or making it clear that he will not be retained. Not addressing it will not do anything for anyone, regardless of the contract situation Mr.Fight is still under. So going quiet will make things even worse.

All decisions that don't end in addressing the situation. Asks for vast apathy, fewer people attending games and for those that still care, folks buying airplanes services to carry "Fire Mr.Fight" banners every Saturday.

So why not address it? put it to rest as any good AD or school would.

But he is soft serve, all his actions and inaction speaks to that. Calling a spade a spade, he's been here long enough to be gauged beyond the "character" part of him. So don't feel sorry for him. He's a grown man.

5. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    If I was to venture a guess, the reason why there is failure to launch is that Bohn's short list is not cooperating in a timely manner.

6. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 2, 2019
    Either USC is being dicked or continuing to dick themselves

7. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Lots of dicking around

spintojoe and in2nation like this.
  8. Bored of Clowns

Bored of Clowns Points Member

Dec 2, 2019
    People with "excellent character" don't habitually lie like Mr. Helton. "We're gonna be tough"; "We'll fix those problems"; "We're gonna be more disciplined and focused"; "Best players will play...everyone will have a chance"; etc...etc...etc. He's paid $Millions and he doesn't have the strength to follow-up on his own words. Actions speak louder than words. You don't know what's in his head, anymore than the rest of us. No need for your value judgments.

OC2SC and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  9. Oregon Trojan

Oregon Trojan Points Member

Dec 2, 2019

10. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 2, 2019
    facts

11. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Fine, I won't call him 'Soft Serve' anymore.

Fuck it, I will call him 'Soft Serve.'

Look, it's all in jest. I think he's a decent dude and not a decent coach, is all.

His ass is laughing all the way to the bank, no matter the outcome.

12. Oregon Trojan

Dec 2, 2019
    "Make a decision" can simple mean he will stay with the status quo and not have to make any announcement. He's decision may be to keep Helton and if that is the case why does he owe anyone an announcement? Making a decision is not the same as making an announcement.
    Unless you know something the rest of us don't I can only assume that Helton is telling recruits he is SC coach. Those of you on this post are the ones placing doubt in the recruits mind.

13. Bored of Clowns

Bored of Clowns Points Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Brotha, I’m thinking it’s the latter. Lots of self-inflected wounds. Hope they stop the bleeding.

14. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 2, 2019
    https://arizonasports.com/story/2177720/arizona-ad-dave-heeke-says-hes-committed-kevin-sumlin-year-3/

It's not about owing anyone an announcement, it would be smart to do so. It's his job to do so. As others have done many times in the past. You are the only one that seems confused by it all. As we weren't the ones that talked about recruiting being very important. He was...and recruits are hearing mixed messages.

Also, he has been asked many times over the last three weeks. About an announcement and decision were always interchangeable. From his interview with Jim Hill especially.

You are delusional if you think that's the case. Also, it's not what I know, it's what USC reporters know like Ryan, SS, Shotgun, and others. Who have been hearing from those very same recruits, so don't get it twisted.

None of this is on anyone else but Mr.Fight. Who got blasted at Home, lost to BYU, lost to Washington and only beat one ranked team. After going 5-7 last year, when he should have been rightfully fired.

Bored of Clowns likes this.
  15. Oregon Trojan

Dec 2, 2019
    Yes...and we are all very anxious to know what he "says". It is out of our hands. Be patient and let's see what happens. Perhaps there are things happening "behind the scenes" that will impact Bohn's decision. It's await and see situation.

16. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 2, 2019
    USC and patients don't go together when they have a recent history of mucking it up

17. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    The name calling of Helton embarrassed me as a Trojan fan. It actually resulted in prolonging my support for the mAn. I would be lying to say that there isn’t a small part of me rooting for him to get the last laugh.

18. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 2, 2019
    Last laugh at what though? bringing down USC even more? being a mediocre head coach. Getting blasted next year by Bama and Saban awesome, dude's getting paid millions to do what exactly? lol

19. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    If he stops his value judgements, will you? Doubt it.
    He is right, this board is incredibly uncivil.

20. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    No, he turns everything around and gets us to the NC.