(Updated) Monday update on Helton’s future as USC head coach (Sunday recap)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 1, 2019.

1. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Dec 2, 2019
    Architect: Not necessarily as during the season we would always meet Sunday afternoon for film, medical training (as necessary) and a walk-thru practice for the upcoming week's opponent. Given that is dated info the meeting may have simply been for a calendar and schedule review for the upcoming pre-bowl game prep. I'm guessing...

2. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Drevno is doing a great job, but the kids he has identified will be great OL in 2-3 years, not right away. The 4 and 5* guys are usually ready sooner. I think Helton can see talent, he just doesn't coach it up unfortunately.

gubo&palanka and SoCalN8tiv like this.
  3. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I don't agree, but the argument would be that 8-4 is an improvement on 5-7 (going in the right direction!), he had to play 3 QB, 5 RBs, injuries on defense, very young team, etc, yet still beat the #6 team in the Country, played ND tough on the road and finished with a winning streak against crappy teams...and that the marquee hires (Meyer, etc) aren't interested.

Just saying...that would be the argument.

JMac, earlandnic and USCAlumFightOn like this.
  4. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    this

5. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Thank you for adding more unknown sources to the conversation! I am willing to let this thing play out, it will happen sometime this week most likely and waiting has little impact on SC moving forward. Recruits who have an interest in our next coach will do so whether it is this week or next.

6. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I suppose one could say this team went 1-1 against the conference championship participants. And yes, they managed not to fall off the floor vs. last year, despite injuries. (That obviously ignores his role in keeping key players healthy, and/or that other programs have soldiered on/been prepared for injuries.)

The only metric by which one can make any kind of positive commentary about Helton is an in-conference one. Finished second in the division. Finished 3rd in the conference. But that is an outright admission that this team is irrelevant in the national conversation. For the head coach of the University of Southern California to be judged by anything other than national results is...well, he is a very nice man.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    It isn't that easy, actually. Helton gave him a game ball and called him Coach Bohn. (eye roll)

gubo&palanka and ClovisTroy like this.
  8. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 2, 2019
    and it would be short-sighted and filled with excuses, cause when it happens again the next year. Will people buy that again? he used that excuse going into the Ohio State game. When it was clear that he was paving the way with bs to circumvent the nature of his unprepared team that would be playing against a more well-prepared team.

9. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Sam’s 3 turnovers (A pick 6 and 2 fumbles inside OSU’s 25 yard line) had a lot to do with that loss to OSU.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  10. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    running for his life because of our OLine contributed much to that

PickSicx, fssca51 and AZUSCfan like this.
  11. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Dec 2, 2019
    He asked what the argument for keeping him is. As I said, I'd replace him, but if Helton were posting, this is likely what he'd say. He might also mention that other Home Run hires--Peterson, Kelly at UCLA--haven't been any better in the past couple years.

JMac and earlandnic like this.
  12. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 2, 2019
    until I see an OL that can protect the passer, that can sustain the running game and that can dominate a team like Bama for four quarters of football I will continue to advocated for more and better O Linemen. This season USC had eight WR and an OL that was called weak and ineffective. That tended to take the shine off the passing game, putting the QB in peril of his bodily health.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    gubo&palanka and USC Rising like this.
  13. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    It had no affect at all. Bohn just had more diligence to do in getting back up interest to help finish negotiation with Meyer. Bohn is out of town interviewing yesterday and today, so no announcement was going to happen today, but tomorrow he is supposed to be back in town and so is Meyer.

gubo&palanka and ClovisTroy like this.
  14. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Still his turnovers. He was able to put up 350 yards passing and put us in scoring position but the turnovers were killers. SC 400 yards offense to OSU’s 275. Defense did their job.

15. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Dec 2, 2019
    No you Did NOT just bring that up...

upload_2019-12-2_13-9-0.jpeg

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

16. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Dec 2, 2019
    This was the key and has continually eroded our program!
    Fight On!

17. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 2, 2019
    so excuses lol if only everyone could do that to keep their jobs

18. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I asked specifically for someone to engage in this thought exercise, and I think @denali15 did a pretty decent job.

In essence, if you're Helton's agent, what's the sales pitch? It's a narrative that has to lead with "injuries" and "unexpected Pac-12 championship appearances", and has to have a lot of "graduation rate" and "find young men" filler.

For a program that is a once-in-a-while contender, with some history of intermittent national prominence, like UCLA or Michigan State or Baylor, like, ok. You could do worse. That is not the sales pitch of a man that should be leading college football royalty. A puncher's chance of a Rose Bowl? USC's greatest mistake was not failing fast with this guy.

Obligatory sign-off: I am sure he is an exceptionally nice man. You can't say that about Saban or Dabo or Belichick!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. Ventura Trojan

Ventura Trojan Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    What is going on this is crazy. It’s 2:00 Monday and not a sound this is nuts.

20. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 2, 2019
    I think the vast majority of the parents are very very happy that their son has a scholarships playing football for USC. The only thing to discuss in my view is how exactly to quantify "vast" among the 90 shipboard players. So I'll just drop the adjective.