(Updated) Monday update on Helton’s future as USC head coach (Sunday recap)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 1, 2019.

1. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Please...don't bring LOGIC or REASON to these discussions...

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

2. pcrampas

pcrampas Active Member

Dec 2, 2019
    That is what hurts Alabama and Clemson’s rankings! Ha ha!

3. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    That's part of what hurts recruiting. But only part. If you announced that Clay Helton signed a new 15-year deal with a $30-million buyout recruiting would still suffer because it's apparent to most blue-chip players that it's a bad business decision to put your career in Clay Helton's hands. The guy is a bottom-third coach who is more likely to get blown out than win anytime he faces a team with comparable talent.

4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I think this is obvious, and I don't understand it. Delaying the announcement this much would make ZERO sense if they are planning retaining Helton, which leads me to think that he's going to be canned and they're waiting for the right time, whenever that is. Yesterday would have been preferable to sometime in the future.

5. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I don't think its that bad. Some recruiting insiders on the pay sites have mentioned that there are a handful of blue chip recruits that are high on USC but are waiting to see what happens. CJ Stroud even made an unofficial visit yesterday on his own dime despite the chaos. I think the uncertainty is a huge factor and this was actually also mentioned by both Bohn and Roberts in separate interviews.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    It's that bad. You think high school coaches and parents of players who played/coached the game can't see that Clay Helton hired and kept for years an O line coach, O coordinator, and DB coach who weren't close to being good enough? You think they can't see that he continues to hold onto a special teams coach that can't get 11 guys on the field consistently? That he fields teams that can't tackle year after year? That USC virtually never puts together a full four quarters of football on both sides of the ball? That they're not the best program in the Pac 12 despite having massive built-in advantages over all of their conference peers?

Guys, this is not hard. It was clear Clay was a mediocre or worse coach even during the Cotton Bowl season. Of course people who understand football are hesitant to entrust their sons or their high school players to Clay and staff. This is an easy decision for Bohn; he just needs to get it done.

7. USCHusbandUCLAWife

USCHusbandUCLAWife Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    And if Drevno is making good evaluations, this could be a great foundation for future classes.

It seems like Helton is making good evaluations based on prospects he can get (Slovis). The problem is that the elite players that Pete Carroll could get are no longer considering USC (except for wide receivers).

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. USCHusbandUCLAWife

USCHusbandUCLAWife Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Neil Callaway was Helton's original sin as USC coach. The effort was never there. He knew Helton would protect him. Darnold plus a good OL would have accomplished more.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    It would have been preferable, true... it would have been easier to concentrate at work today, but I have a feeling that an announcement will not come until a new head coach is signed. Just my guess.

10. Georgetirebiter IV

Georgetirebiter IV Points Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Another reason recruiting looks bad. We have 8 seniors, plus 3 Scillies not used. This gives us a class of 11, plus early leavers (NFL or transfer.) with local five stars often slow to commit early or public, we just don’t have the numbers to make a top class. It will be interesting to see if Helton has his traditional close of 4-5 extra top players.

gubo&palanka, earlandnic and FIGHTON! like this.
  11. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Yes, most of the scholarships given out to OL came out of USC OL camp. There is only 1 OG 4 or 5 star in California and he is a USC commit.

12. SCFaninUtah

SCFaninUtah Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    It WILL happen this. Take that to the bank. Sources say the date is absolutely important to the process. I haven’t had anything but the truth from this source. We will see. Too bad it couldn’t happen sooner! Recruiting will be saved shortly!!!!

13. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Sign 11 Five Stars!!

14. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    My God, let this be true...

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    They may be trying to secure at least a verbal commitment from a coach before they finalize the decision on Helton. If they can't get a top coach, they might not want to commit to a big contract for a middle of the pack coach, or "up and comer we hope works out" type of coach. Either way, they need to announce fairly soon.

16. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Hopefully, the delay is because they are working out contract details with a top coach.

KiwiSCfan and oajr01 like this.
  17. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I just read that Bohn isn’t even in Los Angeles and apparently hasn’t been around for at least a couple days. Perhaps it is best to make sure the director is in place before projecting a decision on the matter.

18. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Dec 2, 2019
    What date are we talking about?

19. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I'm sure it's scattered through a hundred threads, but: what is the performance-based bull case for retaining Clay Helton?

I can appreciate that perhaps "performance" includes him being a nice man, creating a respectful culture within and around the program that reflects well on the school, etc. But any definition of "performance" would have to include both the talent pipeline and the on-field product, which...huh?

The guy has had a terrible nose for coaching talent, has been blindly loyal to those poor decisions over his duty to the kids, and has overseen a long, slow decline to utter program mediocrity. That this is still a matter the school is debating, to the point where the Bruce Feldmans of the world are contending his retention is "possibly more likely" is totally confusing to me. Who is pounding the table for him to be kept, and what is their argument?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  20. AZUSCfan

AZUSCfan Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Appreciate the insight, and hopefully it's true, but the quoted portion around recruiting was what caught my attention. One coach comes to mind that could save recruiting instantly...not going to speculate as to whom, but his initials are Urban Meyer.