(Updated) Monday update on Helton’s future as USC head coach (Sunday recap)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 1, 2019.

1. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    I don't feel sorry for Helton. I merely put the question out there to imagining how Helton must feel.

2. sc_eveleigh

sc_eveleigh Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    How is it possible to screw up something as simple as this? He's either being kept, or being fired. You shouldn't have to ponder the decision for long. And only this college is circus enough to have a false alarm, that might not be a false alarm, but might be. Just insane and embarrassing.

ConquerorSC and ClovisTroy like this.
  3. trjoosh

trjoosh Points Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Why do they act like they would even bring him back though? If they do, the program deserves to go the way of Miami football or Vanderbilt.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  4. K9Buck

K9Buck Points Member

Dec 1, 2019
    It seems telling that Mike Bohn hasn't spoken up to state that there is no truth to the report and that Clay Helton will remain as head coach.

5. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Get the real scoop for us

oajr01 likes this.
  6. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    a yes or no

would be great

7. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    This is so much like back in HS when the girls would be spreading false info on who was going to ask someone to prom. Hilarious.

8. Chicagotrojan

Chicagotrojan Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Any updates from the team meeting? If CH is let go at this point, does this mean Bohn has someone already lined up?

9. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    I would imagine that either way, we will not know until tomorrow at the earliest. Even Maya's announcement stated that Helton is going to be dismissed on Monday.

10. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Dec 1, 2019
    Just an interesting way this is playing out. I can’t remember a story where, like I initially posted, we had so many sources giving completely opposing sides of a story, which is why I wasn’t comfortable running with something as fact and absolutely going to happen.

If I had to guess, I don’t think I’d expect anything official coming out of this meeting tonight.

The questions I’d have at this point would be: If you’re going to keep Helton, why wait until after the Colorado-Utah game to announce it? It seems like it would make way more sense to do it before that game, and makes a statement than you’re bringing him back, Championship Game appearance or not.

Also, I just can’t imagine that Bohn truly “hasn’t made a decision yet.” How could that be possible at this point? Unless the early signing period is a complete non-factor in this decision (and that could be the case) there are zero more data points to collect. Though I’m in the camp that thought the outcome of the Colorado-Utah game shouldn’t factor into this decision since it had nothing to do with USC’s on-field performance this year.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  11. SC ForLife

SC ForLife Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    I think Bohn is simply toting the company line until an announcement is made changing “directions.” Helton and his coaching staff need to be able to recruit and he the team ready for a bowl game until they are let go. Tomorrow will be the day we all see how Bohn has been operating behind the curtains.

Merlin4SC and gubo&palanka like this.
  12. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Maybe they are asking the players do we accept a bowl bid with an interim coach or we don’t go bowling this year?

13. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    So as not to set myself up for a big disappointment, I will just relax and carry on as if Helton and Pendergast are both staying, and not think too much about it.
    Then I can experience the joy of a pleasant surprise in case I am wrong.

14. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    That's about all we can do. Hurry up and wait patiently.

15. USC Rising

USC Rising Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Several posters have written that Helton is due less money for the buy out if he is terminated on or after December 2nd. I have no idea if that’s true. If it is true, then it would be important not to officially make a decision until after that point. From a legal perspective, you would not want to leave any gray area or an opportunity for Clay’s reps to claim that because the decision was made before the trigger date (even though announced after) that he was de facto terminated before the date and owed the extra money. That could explain why they went out of their way to say no decisions have been made at this point.

16. Ventura Trojan

Ventura Trojan Junior Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Yep

ConquerorSC likes this.