University of Texas - Sensitive topic- LONG

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by BeachFAN, Mar 7, 2021.

1. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 8, 2021
    I'm a hopeful person but I will be surprised if he/she shows up to continue the discussion on the OT. Came on pretty strong this AM but kinda disappeared since.

uscernie and TheRealAirbns like this.
  2. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Mar 8, 2021
    Exactly my take as well...

Why is he yelling here? Damn....he moved there, he needs to deal with it....

We got our own issues here....from a school perspective.

Hell, Cali is going thru an upheaval, local politicians that dont seem to want to open up sports, a governor up for recall, inflation ready to rage, etc etc etc...

3. BeachFAN

BeachFAN Junior Member

Mar 9, 2021
    In light of VB's suggestion that I "came on strong" and left, I haven't gone anywhere. I was interested in reading the replies and hearing what my fellow posters had to say on the subject which is why I've laid low. I've been here for years, I just don't post multiple times per day every single day like others do. My original post was primarily singularly focused on the song and the impact this may have on the other kids in that program. Did I include other anecdotes? yes. That being said, it was enlightening to read virtually no one found an issue with the song or it's origins. Many of you decided to spin this to be a larger "cancel culture" issue or a broadbased racial conversation. That was not the point, but whatever. It's clear this topic has fallen on deaf ears.

4. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Reading the lyrics of the song, I don’t see anything racist in the words. Reading origin of the song, I did not find anything racist in how the song was constructed.

It was played first at a minstrel show. Minstrel shows were racist to their core, but that doesn’t make the song inherently racist. By that standard, The Star Spangled Banner is racist as heck, given that the US allowed slavery when the song was first composed.

5. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Mar 9, 2021
    I wonder how long it will be the National Anthem.

Maybe Lennon's "Imagine" to replace it?

6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Actually, your OP was IMO, NOT primarily focused on the song. Rather, you were attempting to draw a racist analogy to it by comparing it to your views of Texas as racist, on the whole. You also focused on the idea that posters here must also be inclined toward racism since you didn't know or believe that the topic had been discussed previously. You asked questions which clearly, were really just your opinions stated as questions.

-The Eyes of Texas is/was the fight song for UTEP and UT
    -There are no specific racist words or language in the song
    -At least one explanation for it's origins had to do with UT President Prather and his regular admonition for UT graduates to go out and do great things i.e., Texas will be watching what you do after you leave.
    -Both Ricky Williams and Earl Campbell have given their support to keeping the song
    -Politics are typically left to the OT, not the football forum

It's ties to the minstrel show at UT (which raised funds for their track team BTW) have been discussed. However, I have yet to see you make a valid argument that the minstrel show ties are definitively racist today. You made no argument, just assumptions and accusations. You say you are concerned about the impact the song may have on other kids in that program. Okay. I don't know if you are a USC alum, but have you bothered to look at our fight song? What impact do you think that has on the Women of Troy today?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    TheRealAirbns likes this.
  7. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Deaf ears? Rightfully so. This need to be outraged all the time gets tedious. Next this guy will rant about the name of the Trojan Horse...but then I'm not black, so I don't understand how the name of a horse bring chills and dread.

8. BehindSunset

BehindSunset Junior Member

Mar 9, 2021
    A recent report commissioned by the school reached the following conclusions:

The committee concluded the intent of the song was “not overtly racist.”
    “However, it is similarly clear that the cultural milieu that produced it was,” the report stated. “And the fact that the song was, for decades, sung and revered on a segregated campus has, understandably, blurred the lines between intent and historical and contemporary impact. This complicates its understanding and explains how different people experienced the song in vastly different ways.”
    Their recommendations include: "allowing uncomfortable students to choose whether or not they sing the song, developing a course on the song’s history open to students, staff and faculty, and teaching the song’s history at new student orientation."
    https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/08/ut-austin-eyes-of-texas/

9. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Mar 9, 2021
    From the very start till the very end one goal seems to have been the object of the O.P.:

Lets see who we can race bait today?

FIGHTONSC likes this.
  10. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Mar 9, 2021
    I am with the do not see anything racist about the song. How about focus on real issues.

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  11. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Vball gave you three links, which should have told you that the subject didn't fall on deaf ears. It fell on ears that mostly don't agree with you, but that's not the same thing, at all.

Again, you haven''t made a case to support your position, other than to suggest that one tactless joke among five men means the entire state of Texas is racist.

Sorry, but were we supposed to take that kind of hyperbole seriously?

Significantly, they weren't thought of as racist, at the time, nor was there any recorded racist intent by putting one on. It wasn't until just a decade or two, ago, that they became racist in the minds of all Americans. Why did it take so long? First of all, because they hadn't been around for the better part of a century, so they weren't appreciably in the American consciousness. Second, because nobody was giving the subject any thought except a few academics invested in the subject.

Possibly the most absurd standard ever produced.

By this standard, all of Texas is tainted because of one off-colored joke (pun intended) among five men. By this standard, all works and deeds ever created by human beings on the entire planet should be cancelled, because they were all produced in a "millieu" of either overt or subliminal racism.

Which is how we've gotten to where we are, today - a place where people are openly talking about anything produced by "whites" as less worthy, because, supposedly, all whites are tainted.

SMH.

The world has been taken over by idiots and clowns.

Why is BLM relevant? Because the current absurd dialog in the country was largely created by them, with the help of their deep-pocket backers. They certainly had a hand in creating the controversy at UT.

The thing about BLM, though, is that it's founders and the people running it are Marxists. Race is only the tool they're using to get them to their Marxist objectives. As a tool, fomenting as much division over race suits their purpose. How? By serving as a means to destroy culture, institutions, and values. When it comes to the US, that has been a stated goal of Marxists and Communists for ninety years, now. (And yes, I'm intentionally repeating myself, here.)

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  12. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Mar 9, 2021
    I wonder how Hollywood will cancel what’s considered the first “talkie” ?

13. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Mar 9, 2021
    I said it in another thread that I didn't see anything racist about the song itself, the lyrics, etc. If anything, "Eyes of Texas" is considerably LESS racist than the Star Spangled Banner, which does indeed contain (in its third verse) a (very oblique) reference to slavery. That brouhaha blew over quickly, and I think this one should, too.

That said, I personally have no dog in this fight. If USC had some tradition that got labeled racist by some busybody troublemakers who demanded it be removed from our halftime shows or pregame shows or the like, I'm sure my initial reaction would be "F you, you damn troublemakers!" But if I was shown and convinced that the tradition did indeed have roots in a hurtful and discriminatory practice, I might change my stance. In this case, I am not convinced that this is a racist tradition, and the general level of racism in Texas shouldn't affect that.

14. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Al Jolson, singing Mammy. These days, kind of a bizarre spectacle. It creates a conundrum, doesn't it? A seminal film, in terms of cinema history, but according to the un-nuanced black-or-white (pun intended) thinking of the absurdists, it should be erased from our societal consciousness as if it never existed.

Would that mean that the first talkie would then be some other film? We're entering into 1984 territory, if that were the case. One in which history and words and grammar and even thinking are simply modified to suit whatever the current official narrative dictates.

All because certain delicate flowers get their panties all in a bunch over the very idea that human beings are flawed, and can be both magnificent and horrible at the very same time.

15. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Well, Traveler's hue is certainly problematic for today's triggered SJW souls ......

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    TheRealAirbns and SCBIGTIME like this.
  16. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 9, 2021
    I think you're making something out of nothing. It's a fight song, an old one. TX football fans love the song just as Trojan fans love Fight On . I suggest you take a xanax and get a nights rest