UC Davis Reporter Not Happy with USC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by PacTrojan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. UC Davis Reporter Not Happy with USC
    PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    To be expected from "the" reporter that covers UC Davis Football...
    -----
    Now we know how much USC values its word
    By Bob Dunning

What, you may ask, is a football story doing in a column on Page A2?

Well, this is really a story about one institution of higher learning’s treatment of another institution of higher learning, with the scheduling of a college football game as the center of attention.

Nowhere in what follows will you find the final score of a football game or details of how the final score was reached, because no football game was played.

So, last week we learned that the University of Southern California Trojans are too high and mighty to stoop to the level of the UC Davis Aggies.

It’s their loss.

As you may have heard, USC Athletic Director Mike Bohn pulled the plug on the UCD-USC football game that was scheduled to open the 2021 season at one of the nation’s most storied venues, the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Bohn basically said it was time to stop the mutiny among USC’s well-heeled boosters who reacted with overwhelming negativity when the game was first announced last July.

Now it’s one thing to politely decline to play an opponent in the first place, but once the deal has been made and the contract signed, it’s a bit like refusing to answer the doorbell when the dinner guests you invited have arrived at your home.

The official reason, and I believe it’s true, is that USC has never, ever, ever, not once, not even in its worst dreams, stooped so low as to play a team from the Football Championship Subdivision to which UC Davis belongs.

Said Bohn, as if this were the greatest day in his life, “I’m happy to tell you that we have informed UC Davis that we intend to cancel that game.”

He could have “regretted” to inform us of this change in plans that ruined UC Davis’ day, but no, he was “happy” about it.

“When I arrived, I committed to listening and learning, and the feedback from our fans was clear,” Bohn added.

“Preserving our history is critically important to us and our fans, so we worked to make that happen.”

Part of that cherished history, of course, is that USC was at the center of the recent college admissions scandal, where spots in the freshman class were sold to the highest bidder with the best ficticious résumé.

“I think it was clear,” Bohn went on, clearly on a roll.

“Our fans didn’t like it and our fans recognize that we’re one of only three institutions never to have played a team at that level, and I think that says a lot about USC and our commitment to wanting to make sure that our fans see viable games and ensure that they have a great experience watching those games.”

A team “at that level?” What on earth is Bohn implying other than UC Davis is an inferior opponent for the all-powerful Trojans?

I guess Ken O’Brien never played at UC Davis. Nor did Chris Petersen — a man USC desperately tried to hire as its head football coach a few years back. Hard to believe someone “at that level” could ever have the smarts to actually coach the Trojans.

Sure, UC Davis will still receive the $725,000 check it was guaranteed when the game was scheduled, but that’s chump change compared to the stain that playing this game would have left on USC’s legacy.

But here’s the really goofy part to this story, one that even Bohn will have a hard time explaining to Trojan Nation.

Remember his words about “viable games” and wishing to ensure that USC fans will have a “great experience” watching the Trojans play?

So which viable opponent that would give the fans a great experience did Bohn go out and schedule before the UCD contract had even hit the shredder?

Was it Ohio State or Michigan or Clemson or Oklahoma? Maybe Penn State or LSU?

Well, actually, it was San Jose State, the sputtering Spartans who in the 2018 season opener on their home turf were drubbed into submission by those same UC Davis Aggies that USC followers regard so disparagingly.

San Jose State is a program on life support. Calling the Spartans a viable opponent that will ensure a great experience for USC fans would be considered perjury if spoken under oath.

Bohn may have had contact with the folks at Stanford before cancelling the UC Davis game and been reminded of that stunning 20-17 Aggie victory over the Cardinal back in 2005.

For as onerous as it was for USC to schedule UC Davis in the first place, there could be only one thing worse.

And that, dear friends, would be losing to the Aggies.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/dunning/bob-dunning-now-we-know-how-much-usc-values-its-word/

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Not sure I would give him credit as "the" reporter. He writes about a lot of things, sports just happens to be one of them. It's not surprising he took this attitude. Their feelings are hurt and they wanted their chance to take down another Division 1 program.

Apparently he likes to correct people's grammar but he should probably check his own facts as well. There is no such thing as Trojan Nation.

And I'm sure it's a tough pill to swallow but he is correct in thinking that they are considered a lowly program at a lesser level on the football field.

It certainly would have been a double embarrassment to have played them in the 1st place and then risk a possible loss but I don't believe the 2nd would have happened. Boo hoo for Bob Dunning.

3. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Feb 23, 2020
    I've noticed when people pull out the grammar card they tend to be salty and can't make their case in a debate or opinion so criticizing people's grammar is their last resort.

mvpreed2 and GoSC1 like this.
  4. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Meh, whatev, you lashing-out-emotional-argument-reporter-dude. UCD got paid. Nobody gives a flyin' fig about your feelings. Get over it already.

And that dear friends is how a loser reporter thinks...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  5. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    I agree that Davis probably would not have beat SC, but we did give them the gift of the ‘might have’. No one will ever know. But now they can crow all they want....
    Bohn’s job is to SC. To SCs fans, not UC Davis and it’s fans. Hat was a bad deal for SC. We stood to gain NOTHING by beating them, and lose everything should an upset happen.
    Bohn could have been a bit more diplomatic maybe, but this was an opportunity for the embattled. AD to buy some goodwill from his fanbase. Can’t say I blame him one bit for playing that angle

TheTrojanKnight and gubo&palanka like this.
  6. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    It’s like getting personal in an argument - weakens your case

DaFireMedic likes this.
  7. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 23, 2020
    These cancellations happen all the time. At least we had a good reason.

It had to be done to protect whatever tradition we have left. Tradition that the previous asleep at the wheel regime was ready to tarnish.

8. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Who is excited about Coli home schedule for next 3 years? Still hanging on to electric feeling in the air when buckeyes came to Coli in 2008. Now my old dorm buddy laughed at going to Coli this season

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. August West

August West Points Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Welcome to the big leagues, son.

did this guy start following CFB 5 mins ago?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. August West

Feb 23, 2020
    That’s not always the case.

For example....

Calling someone a fucking idiot could be taken as a slur or a personal attack, but if that person is actually a fucking idiot, then it’s a statement of fact.

lol

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  11. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Stupid people, say stupid things

3rd Slide likes this.
  12. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    I am Not thrilled with San Jose State either. Wasted game that does not inspire the fan base but Bohn did not have many options.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. TroyCAM

TroyCAM Junior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Not true. I posted this on another thread -

According to FBSschedules.com, instead of San Jose State the following other FBS schools are still needing to schedule another game for the 2021 season:
    Miss State
    Tennessee
    Maryland
    TCU
    Boston College
    Miami (FL)
    Houston
    Tulsa
    UCF
    Wyoming
    UNLV

mvpreed2, gubo&palanka and 4thamp1 like this.
  14. August West

Feb 24, 2020
    There’s nothing wrong with SJSt, they are a legit FBS team.
    You can’t play a Bama or Oklahoma every OOC.

Kaptain Karl likes this.
  15. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Feb 24, 2020
    Let's compare USC's OOC in 20201

USC plays: San Jose St. BYU, and Notre Dame
    Oklahoma: Tulane, Western Caroline, and Nebraska
    Alabama plays: Miami (FL), Southern Miss, New Mexico St, and Mercer.
    LSU: UCLA, McNeese, Central Michigan, and the University of Louisiana Monroe

Notice a theme among the SEC schools?

16. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Feb 24, 2020
    I've been to those lower tier FBS teams at LA Memorial. They really suck! 50K fans at most wondering why they paid $70 for what amounts to a scrimmage. It is much better to get ahead of the game and at least schedule teams with a winning tradition and that travel well. I had some great conversations with Fresno State fans in 2005 at the Coli. Fun game!

17. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Feb 24, 2020
    Those bastards!

Jim Steele likes this.
  18. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 24, 2020
    2009 (Alabama)- Va Tech, FIU, No Texas, Chattanooga
    2010 (Auburn)- Ark St, ULM, Clemson, Chattanooga
    2011 (Alabama)- Kent St, Penn St, No Texas, Ga Southern
    2012 (Alabama)- Michigan, WKU, Fl Atl, W Carolina
    2012 (Fl State)- Nevada, Bethune-Cookman, Idaho, Florida
    2014 (Ohio St)- Navy, Va Tech, Kent St, Cincinnati
    2015 (Alabama)- Wisconsin, Middle Tenn, ULM, Charleston So
    2016 (Cemson)- Auburn, Troy, SC St, So Carolina
    2017 (Alabama)- Fl St, Fresno St, Col St, Mercer
    2018 (Clemson)- Furman, TA&M, Ga Southern, So Carolina
    2019 (LSU)- Ga Southern, Texas, Northwestern St, Utah St

Notice a theme there? Who gives a rip what their OOC is? Those are all National Champions. Alabama with FIVE trophies in the last 11 years. The SEC together has 7 of 11. Hell, I'd take that theme all damn day.

Cyrus likes this.