Tuesday practice tidbits

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Tuesday practice tidbits
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 3, 2019
    Full pads practice that went a little longer than usual today.

JT Daniels was at practice riding a mobility cart.

Offensive guard Andrew Vorhees did not participate. Clay Helton said he has a foot injury and will have an update at a later date.

Wide receiver Kyle Ford dresses and has been cleared for individual drills.

Offensive tackle Drew Richmond dressed and participated in practice.

Graham Harrell was asked about the rotation of skill position players, as we did not see running back Markese Stepp or several backup wide receivers against Fresno State. Harrell said the coaches allow the players to police themselves with regard to coming off the field and the starters have gotten their conditioning to the point where they didn’t need to come off. He added that the coaches will be more vigilant in getting a rotation going because he understands that starters running that many plays isn’t sustainable for an entire season.

Both Harrell and offensive line coach Tim Drevno commented on the speed of the umpire placing the ball, saying that the offense is used to going much faster than they were allowed to go on Saturday.

Helton and Harrell were asked about potential changes to the game plan in moving from Daniels to Kedon Slovis and both said there would be no change.

2. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Any word of Jack Sears possibly coming back?

3. OCBeachTrojan

OCBeachTrojan Points Member

Sep 3, 2019
    “the players police themselves with regard to coming off the field...”

WOW! how about the coaches decide who comes on & off the field and actually put in packages to highlight the players skill set!

4. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Why do we have coaches?

5. 3XTOO

3XTOO Member

Sep 3, 2019
    OC my reaction also. Did GH think this was a warm up for the coaching staff to do their job next week. GH says the guys are in great physical condition, at the same time CCH says the D got gassed at the end. Which one is it? I had high hopes for GH when he came but now I am seeing some troubling signs. We will see, but yes OC "Wow"

6. OCBeachTrojan

OCBeachTrojan Points Member

Sep 3, 2019
    I really would have liked to see Stepp play since all we heard was how dominant he was at practice....would have been nice to see him on that 4th & 2 in 4th Qtr...too bad the other RB didn’t take himself out!!

Cardinal&Gold and gubo&palanka like this.
  7. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 3, 2019
    No. Clay Helton is very clear that they are going with two scholarship quarterbacks and three walk-ons.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Hot damn! I wish our coaching staff in that 2006 NC game had that mentality of allowing the players to police themselves to take themselves out of the game.
    No way in hell would Reggie have been on the sideline on that 4rth and 2 call.

9. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Okay, now fellas, we can’t COMPLAIN when players “keep themselves in”...and be DISGUSTED when they “take themselves out” when we thought they should be in better SHAPE and play more plays...nothing worse than a PLAYER patting his helmet because he’s “TIRED “. I don’t think too much should be read into GH’s statements...I too would have liked to see Stepp, but, was more than happy with how #29 and #7 played...the 4th down was a poorly executed Zone Read that the “ROOKIE “ QB bobbled at the snap...Stepp wouldn’t have SAVED that play.

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  10. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 3, 2019

Well, since GH is up in the booth, who do you think would make that decision?...../s

11. twincitytrojan

twincitytrojan Junior Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Interesting, what happened to the 6 or 7 deep rotation at WR they sold everyone on?

No love for the young guys since starters 'police' themselves? Never heard of that outside the high school level outside assigned play-callers such as MLB or the QB. Is that a small school thing when you lack depth?

Not all young, hopeful recruits will appreciate this idea either. These kids want to play, you reward the best players to start a game, yet still utilize your depth, strengths, talent, etc. 19 yr old kids arent going to pull themselves unless they're on their death bed.

What about take what the defense gives you? Different looks with different abilities at different times? Situational adjustments with unique/specified personel?

A 240 lb bruiser on 3rd or 4th & 1? How about a couple 6'4 or 6'5 WR's on those several failed 3rd & 5's where we threw to our shortest WR in middle of the field?

Just a thought.

12. BeatND2019

BeatND2019 Points Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Until he isn't. His tune may change after the Stanford game or if he gets down to 1 scholarship QB due to injury. Anybody know what Sears' take on the situation is? HCCH said that the door is open but apparently Sears decided he wasn't walking through it.

13. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 3, 2019
    I’m truly confident he wants to get fired. Why not? He can get paid to sit at home without thinking. Oops forgot he doesn’t think

14. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Sep 4, 2019
    This is the type of quote that makes national News and makes you look like an idiot.

Did Markese Stepp or Devin William's have any say so in policing themselves?

Aren't they part of the team?

Or is it just certain players?

Which takes us back to the FAVORTISM issue that Clay Helton and staff have been accused of in the past?

This is Graham Harrell's first Fresh Legs comment as far as I'm concerned..

"The coaches allow the players to police themselves with regard to coming off the field"

Graham Harrell: Quotes like this are not going to help you get another big job when Clay gets fired. I'm pretty sure a top 10 National program is not going to pay someone who let's the players decide who plays and how long they stay in the game? I've never seen that even in Pop Warner.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  15. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Tell that to Markese Stepp and Devin William's their family, friends or anyone who tuned in to watch them play.

Now thanks to Graham Harrell. They have to hear they didn't play because their teammates determined they were not going to take themselves out no matter what? Talk about a coach throwing his players under the bus. This sounds like a good way to create division on a team.

Graham Harrell is starting to sound like Clay Helton passing the buck. He allowed this policy. He should take responsibility for all the backlash. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get a earful from the players and their family. Just like when Michael Pittman Sr. had to check Clay Helton on Twitter. I wouldn't blame them.

OCBeachTrojan likes this.
  16. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Trying to get a read on GH. Either he is helping pushing Helton out the door, or he is going to go with him!
    Fight On!

Cardinal&Gold likes this.