Troy Polamalu Leads List of First-Time Eligible Players for Pro Football Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by CP619, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Troy Polamalu Leads List of First-Time Eligible Players for Pro Football Hall of Fame
    CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Fight on, Troy! Some other Trojans on the list too...

--
    The Class of 2020 will be chosen Feb. 1.

Quarterbacks

Randall Cunningham, Jake Delhomme, Boomer Esiason, Jeff Garcia, Jeff Hostetler, Dave Krieg, Donovan McNabb

Running Backs

Shaun Alexander, Mike Alstott, Tiki Barber, Earnest Byner, Larry Centers, Corey Dillon, Eddie George, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Thomas Jones, Maurice Jones-Drew, Eric Metcalf, Lorenzo Neal, Clinton Portis, Fred Taylor, Herschel Walker, Chris Warren, Ricky Watters

Wide Receivers

Isaac Bruce, Gary Clark, Donald Driver, Henry Ellard, Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason, Muhsin Muhammad, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne

Tight Ends

Dallas Clark, Ben Coates, Keith Jackson, Brent Jones, Jeremy Shockey, Wesley Walls

Offensive Linemen

Willie Anderson, Matt Birk, Tony Boselli, Lomas Brown, Ray Donaldson, Alan Faneca, Kevin Gogan, Jordan Gross, Chris Hinton, Kent Hull, Steve Hutchinson, Lincoln Kennedy, Olin Kreutz, Chris Samuels, Jeff Saturday, Brian Waters, Richmond Webb, Erik Williams, Steve Wisniewski

Defensive Linemen

John Abraham, La'Roi Glover, Casey Hampton, Chester McGlockton, Leslie O'Neal, Simeon Rice, Richard Seymour, Justin Smith, Neil Smith, Greg Townsend, Bryant Young

Linebackers

Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Lance Briggs, Tedy Bruschi, James Farrior, London Fletcher, Seth Joyner, Wilber Marshall, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest, Sam Mills, Chris Spielman, Takeo Spikes, Darryl Talley, Zach Thomas, Jessie Tuggle, Patrick Willis

Defensive Backs

Eric Allen, Steve Atwater, Ronde Barber, LeRoy Butler, Nick Collins, Merton Hanks, Rodney Harrison, Albert Lewis, John Lynch, Terry McDaniel, Tim McDonald, Troy Polamalu, Bob Sanders, Troy Vincent, Darren Woodson

Punters/Kickers

David Akers, Gary Anderson, Jason Elam, Jeff Feagles, Jason Hanson, Sean Landeta, Ryan Longwell, Nick Lowery, Reggie Roby, Rohn Stark, Matt Turk

Special Teams

Johnny Bailey, Josh Cribbs, Mel Gray, Brian Mitchell, Steve Tasker

901 Club and SCBIGTIME like this.

2. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Looks like it may be a good showing for The []_[] actually. E. James (Miami) is likely to get the RB nod... C. Portis (Miami) or E. George is likely number 2nd, maybe C. Dillon. For WR, likely favorite is R. Wayne (Miami) and TE probably J. Shockey (Miami).
    SC is in good shape as well, Polamalu is in and McGinest is likely in... Boselli has a good shot as well. AND I really liked Patrick Willis as a LB, dude was a BEAST!! However, he only played like 6 yrs I think and retired. That does not seem long enough to garner Hall of Fame talk. However, G. Sayers didn't play long and neither did Terrell Davis... but they are in. Rodney Harrison and Darren Woodson are likely in... well, one may have to sit out, not likely they take 3 safeties in one year and J. Lynch would be a tough out as well.

901 Club likes this.
  3. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Very few Safeties have been inducted, but Troy should be on the first ballot. If there was ever a Hall of Fame Safety, it’s Polamalu.

CP619, Troy21511 and 901 Club like this.
  4. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Troy should make it. Hopefully Boselli finally makes it. Love to see Clay Matthews join his brother in HOF. Rooting for McGinest too.

Are we still tied with ND with the number of pro HOF inductees or did we pass them already?

5. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Boselli just might do it. I certainly hope so.

901 Club likes this.
  6. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    WTF?

CP619 likes this.
  7. RDTK

RDTK Points Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Always enjoy these Pro HoF threads for a good laugh. As if the school had much to do with the players Pro career. Guess there was no coaching or developing going on with these Pro teams.

8. DaFireMedic

Sep 13, 2019
    I always enjoy it when people read things into threads that have nothing to do with the actual discussion. No one is talking about the training or development he got at USC or anywhere else. Its about the probability of a great Trojan making the NFL HoF.

CP619 likes this.
  9. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    So how many ucla players are in Pro HoF?

10. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Yeah, when I read that i thought who’s next Bubby Brister?

holt7153 likes this.
  11. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    For Tony, I use the Dwight Stephenson example. They both played pretty much the same amount of games, and we generally recognized as the best player at their positions. Although Boselli has way more competition because he played in the same era with Walter Jones, Willie Roaf and Jonathon Ogden, all who are in and all who played for over a decade. But Tony was on their level, until he got hurt, which brings us to Dwight. In my book, the greatest Center ever, but who had to retire because of an injury. It took Dwight 20 years to get in, but he’s in, and so too, should be Tony

12. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Can anyone tell me why Jim Plunkett is not in the HOF? The story of football can’t be told without his story. Heisman trophy, NFL rookie of the year, 2 MVP’s, 2 super bowl wins among other awards.

13. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Don’t disagree, but he did have 198 interceptions vs 164? TDs

He and Carson are two prime examples of being drafted by the wrong teams.

I saw Jim Plunkett make one of the best plays I’ve ever seen, in the 1969? Stanford vs USC game. He took a pile driver hit right in his chest and was falling backwards and from flat on his back, just before he hit the ground, he completed a 40 yard pass to Randy Vataha. They ended up scoring but we won the game on a last second Ron Ayala FG

He was everything you could ever want in a QB, smart, incredibly tough with a cannon for an arm

Just like Carson

14. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Sep 18, 2019
    I remember that game too. I used to go to the Round Table pizza joint on S. California in Palo Alto years after I graduated. It's owned by Jim Plunkett and he would be in there all the time. Good man for a Stanford guy, not pretentious like most.

15. DaFireMedic

Sep 18, 2019
    Plunkett may not have the numbers that some of today’s QB’s in today’s pass oriented offenses have, and he played for a horrid Patriots team in the first part of his career. But he was a big reason why the Raiders were successful under Flores. Taking just the Raiders part of his career and maybe he’s an HoF’r.

Another great QB IMO hampered by a lousy team was Archie Manning.

16. BoomBoom

BoomBoom Junior Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Plunkett always lands on the “worst QBs to win a Super Bowl list” because his numbers aren’t very impressive (52% lifetime completion percentage), but there’s no disputing two rings.

We’ll probably have a similar discussion when Eli is eligible for nomination.

17. BoomBoom

BoomBoom Junior Member

Sep 18, 2019
    I was curious so I looked it up and they have six:

Troy Aikman
    Kenny Easley
    Tom Fears
    Jimmy Johnson
    Jonathan Ogden
    Paul Waterfield

Notre Dame leads the way with 13, followed by SC with 12.

18. FightOn4Eva

FightOn4Eva Points Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Actually that honor goes to Ryan Leaf.

19. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Sep 19, 2019
    Eli has over 50,000 yards. That, two rings and the name, get him in eventually

20. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Sep 19, 2019
    A closer examination of the record will show that no school has more PLAYERS in the Pro Football Hall of Fame than USC.

ND's 13 includes Ed DeBartolo, Jr., and other owner/contributor/coach inductees.