Trojans opt out of playing in a bowl game

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Dec 19, 2020.

1. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    This year has been a struggle to play games. Somehow USC made it as clean as possible to play under these circumstances .
    That’s a huge accomplishment . COVID was really nit an issue for our team.

That took a lot work by a lot of people to make sure we could play.
    But playing in a bowl game is nit ideal in these times. I agree with skipping this bowl game as there’s nothing to gain from it.

unless you’re in the playoffs, all bowl games are un necessary risks to the players. I agree with this move.

2. BCWhitt

BCWhitt Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I know Clay is soft and spineless but this takes it to a whole new level. Blame COVID all you want, but if they won on Friday we wouldn't be having this conversation.

3. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I hear all the upset, further concerns for our coaching, and the ambiguity of how much this administration supports our football tradition. But let's look at the issue of playing in a bowl game - what is to be gained, what is the cost.

1. Playing in a bowl game gives you a chance to have additional practices to give your less experienced players more time with coaching to get a head start for spring practice. Given the timing of the Alamo Bowl, we would gain very few practice opportunities in the next 8-9 days.
    2. The cost of moving a team to San Antonio, housing, food, etc. is very large and given the lost revenue of the past season, where does that money come from? Many bowls that the Pac 12 was tied into cancelled, so the money shared by all the Pac 12 teams dropped big time; SC would have only received a portion of the Alamo revenue.
    3. Yes, the bowl experience can be a special one, but with COVID, how many of the fun activities that come with bowls would have happened?
    4. How about how many players would have actually been able to play? Or want to play? Slovis injured his shoulder - doubt he would play. Amon-ra was injured in the game - doubt he was going to play. There are other players who are injured and unlikely to play. There are players who are COVID positive and wouldn't be able to play under current COVID guidelines. Who wants to see a make-shift SC play? Even worse with the coaching we have had in many instances in the games we did play.
    5. Final point - bowl game would mean lost time for the players with their families. If this were a meaningful bowl game, and I think that's why it was a later decision, I think it would have been worth it. The kids have been isolated from their families the entire fall and this is their chance to be with them for the holiday. This COVID season has been very hard on all of them, demanded much more than they normally would have had to give, and they really accomplished a great deal winning 5 of 6 games, three in very exciting fashion. Like Helton or not, the kids played hard and there were some awesome moments. Let them enjoy a happy holiday season with their families and hope that the next season is more normal.

Regarding the fate of Helton, I don't think playing a bowl game was going to help or hinder him. There is a general feeling around college football this year that it would be unfair to use this season as a point to hire/fire any coach. Those who were fired had serious losing issues before (Illinois/South Carolina) or the concerns by fans/administration were also longstanding (Auburn). Yes, Helton's issues are not new, but I do think winning 5 games has made it difficult to make a change at this time (I think Chris made the same point in his well-written article). I think the SC decision on Helton comes next year when a more challenging schedule under normal circumstances gives a clear assessment of this coaching staff''s ability to take this team to a championship level.

trojanart and SCAnteater like this.
  4. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Of course, because if we had won we would have some say in the CFP playoffs as an undefeated conference champion. That is why the decision was made yesterday. I think there were other issues like COVID, injuries, and financials. We are not unique in opting out of the bowls. Just look how many schools, including some quality teams have done so.

trojanart likes this.
  5. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Oregon look bad too. What an awful game and an awful team to lose to.

Real USC teams would play. Folt and Helton are embarrassments.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    gubo&palanka, BCWhitt and BESCFAN like this.
  6. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

Dec 20, 2020
    That is sad. But I'm not disputing it. I know a number is unhappy USC people that liked OLD USC, not Folt's USC. And Caruso knows better, but is slouching toward failure.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

Dec 20, 2020
    Failing to come out ready to play against a weak Oregon team that lost to Cal and Or St was that embarrassment. Too late.

8. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020

I recommend a box of "Kleenex" to cry with....the truth is universally brutal.

FIGHTONSC and gubo&palanka like this.
  9. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020

I know a great store that you can find coaching participation trophies at a good price. Five + years is plenty of assessment time for any coach.

OC2SC, OCBeachTrojan and gubo&palanka like this.
  10. BCWhitt

BCWhitt Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Fight On.......unless we get embarrassed in the PAC-12 title game and don't want to get embarrassed further so we're going to take our ball and go home.

11. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I agree with what you write. I considered it to be almost like an exhibition season. And some SC football is better than none at all. Even though they were frustrating to watch, I enjoyed a lot of it immensely and I'm sure the players enjoyed competing too. I've been an SC diehard since 1962 and I'm not going to stop now.

I would like to replace Harrell, Helton and Drevno though. Perhaps in that order.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    in2nation likes this.
  12. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 20, 2020
    Who wants to see a full-strength SC play? ;-

13. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I feel this.

14. Rob384

Rob384 Points Member

Dec 20, 2020
    The Only Top 25 team to opt out of a Bowl......... That is the only narrative. There are 24 other ranked teams that would love to see their families. This is a cop out plain and simple. CCH, Admin, and the players were afraid to get their butts handed to them in San Antonio. (Even though now that its Texas they would have played, it could have been dubbed "The Underachiever Bowl")

15. FIGHTON!

FIGHTON! Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Slovis is a sophomore.
    Fight on!

16. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Seems like we would have faced Texas in Alamo Bowl. We were replaced by Colorado. Probably would have been a loss.

17. WarChicken09

WarChicken09 Points Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Maybe? But our attitude should never change. Sad part is that all the departing seniors that won’t make it to the next level will some day look back and wish they had that opportunity to put the pads on and play one last time. Having that chance taken away because the coach and the administration are cowards would be something I could never forgive as an athlete. It’s like someone saying we don’t believe in you or you aren’t worth my time to watch. Pretty shitty way to end a careeer.

18. WarChicken09

WarChicken09 Points Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I don’t know, maybe pride? We once had it.