Trojans drop in 247 rankings

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by Scalum76, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Trojans drop in 247 rankings
    Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Jun 17, 2020
    It’s amazing to see the dramatic drop in the rankings by Trojan recruits especially the quarterbacks. Amazing for considering the virus and the fact that these players haven’t had a chance to camp at all, so why the drop? Is it just because their Trojan recruit commits?

Kaptain Karl and Jose like this.

2. Jose

Jose Member

Jun 17, 2020
    They're always outstanding prospects, until they commit to be USC Trojans. History will keep repeating itself with these rankings.

3. lakers8605

lakers8605 Junior Member

Jun 17, 2020
    These so called experts had Slovis ranked somewhere in the 700's. So that tells you something...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  4. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Jun 17, 2020
    Even Korey Forman dropped to #3

5. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jun 17, 2020
    I was never intimately involved with the rankings process at ESPN, but I worked closely with the guys who were. I’ve also spent a lot of time with the guys who do the rankings for 247. I can say without hesitation that they do not care where recruits are committed to when they do their rankings. They’ll definitely get to a recruit’s evaluation faster if they start picking up offers or commit to a Power 5 program, but they all trust their own evaluation process too much to be swayed by any commitment.

For instance, there are some concerns about interceptions with Miller Moss, which caused some of his drop. I’m curious to see his numbers this year at Mater Dei, because I think it’s obvious that you have to at least consider taking into account the quality of an offensive line and surrounding skill talent when evaluating high school quarterbacks.

I think it’s also been interesting to watch the evolution of rankings as it feels like more weight is placed on getting it right for the NFL Draft. I don’t think that’s a good thing, but I find it interesting when services now tout how many of their top guys went in the first round of the draft. As a result, I think we’re seeing a little more weight placed on guys ascending as they go through their senior years rather than guys who are great as sophomores and then continue at that same level. If evaluators feel like a guy can hit another level in college, that carries more weight than a guy who has maybe performed better in high school. I’m not saying this is what happened to USC commits, but it’s something to watch.

6. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Jun 17, 2020
    This is absurd. Thornton who most likely will land @ Or. slipped from #47 to #54

Armitage moved up...from #203 to #197...he's very high on USC
    Savea moved up one spot to # 215
    Calvert did drop one spot to #73 ...anoth recruit that has USC very high
    Simon moved up from #111 to # 109
    Wiggins moved up to #123 from #124....also high on USC

This " everybody is out to get USC " in any aspect of football is absurd.

7. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Jun 17, 2020
    " Dramatic drop " it's dramatic alright, but it's not the rankings.

8. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Jun 17, 2020
    I still see him @...#1

9. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Jun 17, 2020
    I'm going to use this thread to break down what I believe USC and Oregon will land.....
    Ya'll do the math and tell me which class is better.

I simply took the consensus by most recruiting experts......here's what I found.

Oregon........
    Thornton..............#54
    Sumataia..............#59
    Wright..................#72
    Davies..................#129
    Worthy................#175
    Ferguson.............#280
    K. Williams.........#312

USC
    Foreman..........#1
    Calvert.............#73
    Wiggins...........#123
    Armitage.........#197
    Svaea..............#215
    Simmons.........#281
    Smith..............#291

Jose likes this.
  10. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jun 18, 2020
    While I understand that things are slow, especially with the pandemic and social injustice rioting and all, but why are we worried about where we stand in the beginning of June?
    We have an amazing class right now, top 10 in the nation, and all things look for us to remain in the top 10, and possibly top 5 with the addition of some elite top talent still left on the board.

How about we just enjoy the run we have been on and hope this does not turn into another 2013 where we start off hot and fizzle out because our team did not know how to execute on the field.

11. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Thanks for your input Erik, my issue at this point in time is with these drops by SC recruits which happened during this coronavirus where there are few if any camps going on, no way for scouts to see these players in action, how do they determine their precipitous fall, were their previous evaluations not very good, what determined a players ranking before and what determines it now without camps, high school practice or games etc?

12. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Jun 18, 2020
    When you see an SC lean move up a few spots, but other's drop dozens of spots, that's what I am talking about, look through history and this has been the pattern, I have been following SC football for 50 years, long before Rivals, 247sports etc. I used to get the old Street and Smith magazines back in the day. But look at the rankings, some SC leans move up a couple of spots, but other's drop many, many spots and it's usually the higher ranked kids that fall precipitously.

earlandnic likes this.
  13. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Jun 18, 2020

So basically players who appear to peak earlier (sophomore or freshman) Will be scrutinized more than a player who becomes a star as a junior?

14. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Jun 18, 2020
    I think that’s simplified, but maybe fair. Every situation is going to be different and there are cases where the big time sophomore really is that good and even though he seems physically maxed out as a senior, he’s good enough that it doesn’t matter.

I do think “upside” is playing more of a role in rankings now, though I can’t honestly say how much of a role.

LDIABootney likes this.
  15. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Jun 18, 2020
    I honestly can’t answer that. The break has given the evaluators some time to go back over game film and make adjustments in their evals there. They’ve also been able to see a few events and workouts. There’s also just seeing how these guys have developed (height/weight) in photos and videos. But you’re right, I wouldn’t put a lot of stock into rankings adjustments right now. I’m not saying they’re wrong, but I’ll be watching much more carefully when it happens after the first 3-4 games of senior seasons. I think we could see a flurry of recruiting activity then and maybe some really big changes to rankings.

16. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jun 22, 2020
    Erik. What Happened to California HS football? 1 guy Foreman ranked in the top 40 players? The State of Washington has 2? There are some good players don't get me wrong but after the top 30 it's a bit of a guess. Have the power schools like Mater Dei and Bosco's taken away from the depth of the State? What happened to schools like LB Poly, Servite, Orange Lutheran and SJV teams like Clovis West? even?

17. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Jun 22, 2020
    I think year to year you're going to see some fluctuation. This is a good year in California, but outside of Foreman, you're missing some elite players at a few positions. It's again good at quarterback, but that's always the case for California.

But if you look at last year, you had a great year for talent in California, including three of the top 11 players in the nation.

I'd be interesting in taking a look at whether so much talent gathering at two schools has had an effect on more players developing at other places--maybe they'd be better off playing more as sophomores rather than sitting behind established juniors and seniors. It seems like a plausible idea.

LDIABootney likes this.