Trojans come away with 28-23 victory over crosstown rival UCLA

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by JohnnyCurren, Nov 18, 2017.

2. Touchdown for USC

Touchdown for USC Junior Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Johnny nice recap of the game. Actually USC's record is now (10-2, 8-1 Pac-12). Hopefully the Trojans can avenge their sole Pac-12 loss at the championship game vs. Wazuu.

beezenants likes this.
  3. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Nov 18, 2017
    I think we will be playing the Indians, and they might be a tougher draw than WSU

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Why did the so called weak ruin run defense give us so much trouble for much of the game? I know they were loading the box but the receivers seem to disappear at times.

gubo&palanka and oajr01 like this.
  5. tenku

tenku Junior Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Seems to me like the coaches didn't want to give anymore study material to our next two opponents. The plays called today were definitely vanilla and almost deliberately the same plays over and over again.

6. oajr01

oajr01 Junior Member

Nov 19, 2017
    ^ I feel like that plain vanilla play calling is something we’ve seen all year. then you have one of their receivers racking up 200yds on his own. Scary. Not what I expected to see in our twelth game of the season, and it being the rivalry game is no excuse.

Did they really convert on a 3rd and 18?!?!?!

Fight On and win the CG!

Surf On and Trojan Man 30 like this.
  7. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Nov 19, 2017
    I’m torn. First of all congratulations to the team for such a successful season. As a fan they remind me of the Lou Holtz era Fighting Irish, who so often won but did not cover...and I hated those guys!

Fight On team, enjoy the holiday bye week, looking forward to your continued success.

oajr01 likes this.
  8. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Nov 19, 2017
    USC's rushing total didn't surprise me at all. I can go back and recount bottom of the barrel rush defenses the Trojans have encountered over the past several years where USC failed to run up the predicted monster numbers. USC's line is big but dearth of mass though because they are too light and not overwhelmingly strong. Last season the line was massive but not powerful. I think their cardio stamina is excellent, which is why they are still strong late in the 4th quarter.

Unfortunately for Calloway is that he lost Vianne who was the big, powerful 325+lb guy he needed up front to be physical - see Stanford game. So, the rushing total wasn't an eye opener for me. I see a 295lb Chuma in his third year now weighing about the same as his freshman year when he should be at 315lbs already. Clayton Johnson at 315lbs and 6'6" should be at 330lbs. Once USC realizes that players at a higher weight can still maintain their strength, quickness, and stamina with no drop-off in performance, then they'll have something going in the right direction as far as the O-line is concerned.

Fight On

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  9. Touchdown for USC

Touchdown for USC Junior Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Can the cougars beat the dawgs? The answer will determine our championship game opponent.
    The QB match-up displayed accurate, fragile and non-mobile Rosen get the stats. Althletic Darnold play well enough to win, but didn't have the midas touch last night. The difference was the deceptive Pittman return at the beginning and the gassed ruins defensive at the end.
    Beat TBD!
    Fight 'On!

10. alxhsa

alxhsa Junior Member

Nov 19, 2017
    that might the case but still doesn't justify the 11 penalties. I'm of the opinion that we have a coaching problem.

11. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 19, 2017
    I had a wierd feeling that they were stealing our signals while I was at the game. After watching the first series on TV this morning, it seemed even more so. They moved 9 into the box right before the snap as Rojo ran up the middle on one play. Maybe they are just really good guessers.

I know someone else made this comment about another game earlier in the season. Our coaches better give this some thought over the off season. It would sure explain a lot.

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  12. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Is Yu Darvish coaching for USC now?

13. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Nov 19, 2017
    I could read Coach Helton's lips. I imagine so could ucla. You may be on to something based on a fact. Someone needs to get the word out to Coach Helton that there is a real possibility he's compromising plays by being so overt. I imagine his assistants are not being careful either.