Todd McNair

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Cyrus, Dec 3, 2018.

2. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Dec 3, 2018
    He's got a small chance of a retrial... hope he gets another shot at the ncaa and costing them another few million in attorney fees etc.

BlueBlood likes this.
  3. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 3, 2018
  4. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 3, 2018
    LOL, Sorry about that. I don't have any expectations, I long ago gave up hope that our school will ever sue these bastards over this grave injustice. But I just hate the nzaa so much that even a tiny glimmer of hope to beat them makes me happy.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  5. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 4, 2018
    SC should hire McNair as RB coach and Reggie as GA. Big middle finger to nzaa.

Merlin4SC and Ride Fly like this.
  6. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Dec 4, 2018
    LOL. Crazy talk, but still funny

Merlin4SC, sctrojan2006 and Cyrus like this.
  7. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Funny how we hate so much what the NCAA did to USC (a gross injustice) but in many ways ignore the devastating effect of it on the program. It can't be understated how it set our momentum toward consistent excellence back, no matter who our Head Coach was. Yes, Sark was a terrible hire regardless (due more to personal issues than football acumen) however, the NCAA effectively turned USC into mediocrity--exactly as intended.

uscjrl98 and ca4usc like this.
  8. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Dec 4, 2018
    NCAA brought SC program to its knees, but SC and Lane got back up for a season or two...then SC Admin and coaches proceeded to implode, and help give the NCAA (and other schools) what they wanted - a train wreck!

SC coaches and admin shot themselves in the foot so many times it's not funny, and refused to fix issues they had control over.

So although NCAA will never be forgiven for what they did by knowing fans, it's amazing how fragile the SC program was, how easy it was for Lane/Helton to lead winning/prominent seasons...and sadly...how quickly we could return back to being a train wreck.

CFB is all about leadership in coaching and Admin...and we currently have neither. We can trace our origins back to the NCAA ruling, but our current situation is due to being forced to make decisions...and consistently making poor ones.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Merlin4SC and uscjrl98 like this.
  9. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 4, 2018
    All your points are correct. What the NCAA effect was gave USC very little margin for error in recovery. We had to be near perfect in decisionmaking moving forward to maintain excellence. Obviously, we weren't even close to that and whatever recovery LK made quickly evaporated.

uscjrl98 likes this.
  10. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Dec 4, 2018
    I don't know if we had to be near perfect. If Pat Haden tells Chris Petersen that the program is his to run as he sees fit and that USC's administration -- including Haden -- will stay out of the way, that deal probably gets done, and USC is consistently competing for playoff spots.

We didn't have to be near perfect. We had to be something other than ridiculously stupid, but with Haden in charge, we couldn't even clear that bar.

11. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 4, 2018
    You have to admit that is pure speculation on your part. CP has never said that--all he did say was "there was mutual disinterest." Something went awry in that interview but what, we dont know. Your version is possible but not sure. No matter what was said, isn't this proof of my point? Even hiring a coach became unduly difficult given the unique circumstances any guy would have inherited. Personally, I think CP took the interview half-heartedly--perhaps even as a negotiating tool for the job at UW that fit him better anyway. Whatever the case, the NCAA transformed USC into a lousy job for anyone. You'd have to agree on that.

12. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Until I hear otherwise I’m sticking with the story I heard, and that was Haden had Sark basically locked up before he offed Lane

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  13. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Very possible, but only 2 know for sure. On its face, the Sark hire wasn't so bad. On its result, it was a world-class disaster that put a nail in the coffin the NCAA had set up to build. Haden's sloppy vetting played right into their greatest hope. The resulting dysfunction to the program was crushing. No news flash there...

uscjrl98 and sctrojan2006 like this.
  14. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Haden's tenure was so bad you would think he was a plant by the NCAA to bring USC down.

Merlin4SC likes this.
  15. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 4, 2018
    Very astute points. The sanctions handed down were devastating. As the posters in this thread accurately point out we have had some self inflicted wounds that did not help in getting us back to where we all feel we should be.

From the NY Times
    "These were the stiffest penalties given to any university since the N.C.A.A. issued the “death penalty” to the Southern Methodist football program in 1986, shutting it down for two years"

SMU has never made it back. I know we did not get the death penalty but it was mighty close. I am just hoping we get moving in the right direction.

pgoodman likes this.
  16. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    The severity of the sanctions, the audacity of the NCAA, the hypocrisy of other schools like Oregon/FSU/Miami/tOSU etc., the ineptitude of PAC Commissioner Larry and lack of resolve from SC Admin was gone over ad-nauseum from '09 - '14 or so...when the direct impacts of the sanctions were still felt.

At some point after '14, it stopped being about the sanctions - those were a known quantity thoroughly discussed/debated/quantified.

When you factor the recruiting caliber still attained post-'14, the potential to still compete at high levels by Lane and Clay in their top seasons...clearly, the sanctions weren't the reason we were not executing on the field on gamedays (or practice days for that matter). The problem statement shifted to how our coaches and Admin were holding us back...how the culture had changed for the worse.

17. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Love it!

Cyrus likes this.
  18. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 6, 2018
    Agreed. Also Pat Haden and Max Nikias did not do us any favors post sanctions. I do believe that in 2017 and 2018 the sanctions clearly should not be used as an excuse and as you said even the Kiff year we did ok but that was only because we are USC and top recruits were willing to come despite the sanctions. In fact I believe only a handful of programs could have survived this.

19. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    When Coach Pete interviewed for opening at USC, the HC position at Washington was FILLED.

20. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Dec 6, 2018
    Yep, and Pat was taking the recommendation of Mark Jackson, who was the one pushing Sark.