To recline....or not to recline

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by uscvball, Feb 14, 2020.

1. To recline....or not to recline
    uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Not sure if this topic has ever been discussed here before but after reading yet another story where conflict ensued, I wondered what people thought.

When you fly, do you recline your seat? If so, do you ask permission from the person behind you first? If someone reclines the seat in front of you, do you ask them not to or complain about it?

I have no idea what transpired between these 2 before she started to video him but I find his behavior disturbing.
    https://twitter.com/steelersfanOG/status/1226346795741143040?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1226346795741143040&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnbc.com%2F2020%2F02%2F14%2Fdelta-ceo-says-its-proper-to-ask-first-before-reclining-your-seat.html

The airline apparently gave HER a warning and told her if she didn't delete the video she could be under arrest or under consideration for fines. I think the attendant served HIM a drink. Really stupid behavior on both parts by grown adults.

The Delta CEO said today that he doesn't recline (of course he likely flies 1st class) and thinks people should ask and get permission before they do. Interesting. I don't recline my seat. I hate it when people in front of me do but I have never complained as it seems one of the hazards of flying in general. It would be nice to get some warning.

CP619 likes this.

2. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I've never heard of this "ask before declining" or "only decline 1 inch" common courtesy unwritten rule.

I just flew from SD to MIA and needed to sleep both ways. Reclining doesn't do much for sleep but it sure helps.

I side with the woman 1000% on this one based on the video. That guy is a prick - possibly a drunk prick too. I do think the woman overreacted and could have handled the situation differently. Her claim that this was an "assault" that has required "x-rays" due to constant "headaches" resulting in "lost time from work" makes me laugh. I'm guessing she overreacted with the flight attendant too.

His actions are immature and beyond anything I would ever do. But her "poor me" social media posts aren't much better.

She still wins this round of Decline or No Decline!

3. Jim McNeil

Jim McNeil Points Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I'm not a recliner. Accept I'm going to be uncomfortable for the flight and just deal with it. Don't have any desire to make someone less comfortable.

SCBIGTIME and uscvball like this.
  4. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Given the little space that is allocated to us, I try to avoid reclining and at the same time hope that the person in front of me doesn't either.

SCBIGTIME and uscvball like this.
  5. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Who are we kidding? He flies private - probably with a king size bed.

ScoobyTrojan32 and uscvball like this.
  6. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I typically don't recline unless the person in front of me does.

7. ScoobyTrojan32

ScoobyTrojan32 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    This is just petty. The .75inches airlines give you to recline really dont effect anyone around you. I always recline if I feel like it no questions asked

SouthbayTrojan91 likes this.
  8. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 14, 2020
    JM is correct. The reclining seat is there for the comfort of the passenger in it. That extra space taken up with seat in the reclined position belongs to that seat. No reason to ask permission. The person behind knew that could happen when he/she bought the ticket.

SouthbayTrojan91 likes this.
  9. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Is that Basic Economy?

10. tommytrojan1122

tommytrojan1122 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I fly regularly and am a decent sized guy. I never recline even when the person in front of me does. I hate it too because it is virtually impossible to use a laptop when the person in front of you reclines.

Tough to make a call on this as it appears that we do not have the full story. She seems like a drama queen but the guy in back may be certifiable.

11. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I always recline. Hurts my back not too.
    And seriously, the seat reclines what, 1 inch? It is not like in the movies of old where you recline into the persons space.

12. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I never recline and I hate it when the guy in front "thrusts" it back as fast and hard as he can.

This is further down list of bitches about airlines than other stuff....such as the use of the overheads, trying to cram large stuff up there after struggling down the aisle with it.....delaying the boarding process. I would have airlines seal up those compartments

uscvball likes this.
  13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I agree that she is now over the top and certainly her attorney is loving all the media attention. My only side note to that, is she claims that before she began to video him, he had actually full-on punched the seat back several times. That could produce a potential injury but not likely the severity she claims.
    It isn't .75. It's typically 5 degrees of recline and just 30-31 inches of pitch (leg room). I don't know what makes you believe it doesn't effect the person directly behind and frankly, anyone in the row directly behind who has to get up and out of their seat. Either your ass or crotch is going to be in the other passenger's faces as you get to the aisle.

I'm tall. I have longer than average legs. That reduction in leg room from a reclining seat is painful. Not to mention, it becomes near impossible to reach down and get my bag from underneath the seat in front of me without nearly putting my head in the seatmate's lap. How about a nursing mother? You think they don't need that extra space? I find it quite surprising that someone who constantly extols the practice of considering others, is so completely self-centered in your shared traveling experience.
    Co-sign.
    The cost of the ticket gets you a seat on the plane, not a reservation for anyone else's individual travel space. It is a feature, not a right. By definition you ARE in someone else's space.

For those who do recline, perhaps consider at least letting the person behind you know you are about to recline. Would go a long way in terms of consideration.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  14. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    It's a long list for sure. Somehow I always manage to be seated next to or in-between seriously obese people who should have bought another ticket. They literally overflow onto my seat and seat-back area. And there's nothing that can be done. If I try to maneuver, they tend to get an attitude.

Then there are the ones who vigorously grab your seat-back as they make their way to the aisle. Or the ones who drank or took a sleeping aid, immediately fall asleep, and proceed to snore for the entire flight. And can't leave out those who board before they are supposed to to make sure they get an overhead bin so by the time others board properly, there isn't any room, they have to put their bag in the wrong compartment, and when it's time to get off the plane, EVERYONE is delayed as the adherent passenger has to make their way back to get their bag! Travelers who bring their own food.....if it has garlic....DON'T! Nothing worse than having to smell pasta pesto salad for 3 hours. And for those parents with young kids.....please pay attention so they don't kick the seat in front of them.

Wish I could afford to travel 1st class. So many of these are non-issues in that cabin.

15. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Ditto on all of the above. If they cannot seal up those stupid overheads ....if I opened the airline I would charge to put things in them and let people check the bags for free. It would speed up boarding and deplaning by significant time.

16. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    The one current advantage to the situation is that I always bring my bag to the gate and when they inevitably ask for volunteers to check their bag....for free....I accommodate.

TheRealAirbns likes this.
  17. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I generally do not recline, nor do I complain when the person in front of me does, even though it's annoying. I fly maybe 2-3 times a year, and it seems every flight people all around me throw their seats back at least a little. On my last flight I finally thought, Screw it, everyone else seems to be doing it. And when I did, the person behind me protested and asked in a somewhat unkind manner for me to put it back up... so I did, but man if I wasn't doubly annoyed... Go figure...

18. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    On most flights of longer than an hour, I must trek to the airplane restroom. If the seat in front of me has been thrust into my lap, getting out is trouble. I cannot get up or out without grabbing on....several times. The person in that chair cannot escape knowing that I have disturbed his comfort.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  19. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I am not taking anyone else's space. I am using my space. The person behind me can recline their chair.
    I can't get out of economy without the people next to me standing and going to the aisle anyway.
    I have never, not once, got upset because the person in front of me reclined. Why would I? Full disclosure, if I am in basic economy (which is rare) I probably won't recline fully, but I sure am not going to sit at a 90 degree angle for 4-5 hours and need 3 days of meds afterwards.

There are a lot of behaviors of people on flights to get upset about, the person who takes up an overhead bin space with their jacket, the person who takes off their shoes and tries to put their foot up on the wall, the line cutter, etc.... but the person in front of me reclining is not one of them.

ScoobyTrojan32 likes this.