To all the classy Notre Dame Fans, many thanks!

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Tunaslam, Oct 23, 2017.

1. To all the classy Notre Dame Fans, many thanks!
    Tunaslam

Tunaslam Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    My son Troy and wife Sheryl presented me with my 70th birthday present with a trip to the USC versus Notre Dame game, a bucket list item for a long time. Despite the disappointing results of the game our experience was incredible. Every Notre Dame fan we met were extremely friendly and we felt very well welcomed to the game.

We flew into Chicago from LAX and took the L to downtown Chicago. A 15 minute walk to our hotel from Clark and Lake drop off point on the L. Everywhere we walked there were USC fans. As would be expected there were few Notre Dame fans, but enough to make it interesting. We ate dinner at Due, a famous Deep Dish Pizza restaurant. The Pizza, their special, served with Chianti, amber ale, and a seafood dip was off the charts. Before catching the bus to the game, we visited Portillo's for their world famous Chicago Dogs, we also added Polish Sausage and Italian Sausage sandwiches to our order. Fantastic! We partied on the bus, a 2.5 hour ride, everyone having a blast.

Arrived to the stadium at 4:30 pm with 3 hours before game time. We visited the campus, truly beautiful, the Dome, the cathedral, and the book store. I asked a number of Notre Dame fans how they were enjoying our California weather, 77 degrees? They all smiled or laughed as I told them we brought it with us. Of course Sunday it started to rain. Ha! Ha! It was a fabulous experience, albeit not at least inexpensive and I doubt our budget could take another hit in two years?

The ushers at the stadium and on the campus were extremely helpful and friendly. Hats off Notre Dame fans, you are definitely a class act, and so much a part of the most famous inter-sectional rivalry in college football, and a most incredible fan base to share our love of our teams! May Thanks for providing us such a great experience, never to be forgotten.

Fight on!
    We'll beat the Irish next year!
    Cory

2. scdg71

scdg71 Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    That's the traditional story. Different folk in SBend than the ones at the Coli (unless you find them on the 50 yard line ... and that's mostly Midwest people

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  3. GoRamSC

GoRamSC Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I must agree. Nothing but good experiences back there.
    Hate to say it but I wish my rams had stayed in St. Louis. Our Rams fan here make me long for expensive trips to Edwards dome to witness us lose.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I couldn't agree more. We had an absolute blast.

We went to Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza (and chianti!). We hit up Portillo's too on Friday, after the USC Pep Rally, and a long walk around The Art Institute of Chicago. We went to Del Frisco's for dinner (which was really good!)

We got on campus around 12:30pm, went to the Bookstore first and bought the official game day items - except that horrible shirt. We went to the Basilica, the Grotto, saw the bagpipes, Touchdown Jesus and bought food from some students. I got some amazing pics and ever more memories. The courtesy carts are so slick. USC needs to take notes.

The amount of people that said, "Welcome to Notre Dame", and "Thank you for visiting"...true class imo. I would love to make this an every other year trip, but we'll see.

Fight on!

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  5. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Glad you mentioned the ushers. They make a point of greeting everyone with a "Welcome to Notre Dame," and are far more available for info than the Coliseum. Friendlier too.

Rodgarnay51 and CP619 like this.
  6. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Oct 23, 2017
    Notre Dame and Nebraska, two friendliest away game experiences.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. Tunaslam

Tunaslam Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    And FUCLA the unfriendliest?

BraceDoctor, bobdrake and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  8. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Oct 23, 2017
    particularly ucla fans 1998 after Cade's bootleg. that was a bad post-game.

and Iowa fans, 2003 Orange Bowl

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  9. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    So...if you are not doing it already, this is a reminder to everyone here to return the favor every week at the Coliseum.

I've been doing it for about 10 years now. I go out of my way to say 'thanks for making the trip' to fans from the other team...so long as they are behaving themselves of course. At the very least, it will help offset if they run into some rowdy fans along the way.

10. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I am going to try and do this from now on. I will say that the Oregon fans are the biggest pricks when they come to the Coli. I'll try my best on that day to be nice.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  11. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Actually I would say that OREGON is the least friendly and most ill behaved fan base we ever see. Glad we don't have to tolerate that this year. We stopped going to those away games because they got so bad. I remind you one year I had to pull a drunken Oregon bozo assailant off our drum major with a cop standing right there watching the whole thing. Another year we got attacked on the way out of the stadium after which we always hid our cardinal & gold if we wanted to make it back to the car. And of course the bad memory of the night Marlin McKeever died we were up there playing OSU [didn't that end our win streak] with a failed late comeback attempt. Or maybe it's because a lost over $100K on an Oregon property once. Whatever, I hate the zeros and their fans. Sun River is cool though.

Rodgarnay51 and CP619 like this.
  12. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I was at that Orange Bowl against Iowa and they were pretty chippy people pre-game, but totally OK after the game.

13. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Whatever happened to our legendary Los Angeles hospitality? We used to be courteous drivers and civil to one another at public events. Now we're a bunch of effing heathens. I agree, the ushers at our public sporting events are unfriendly and just mean. I thank my lucky stars I don't have to be subjected to that abuse anymore. Kudos to the Notre Dame people, I hope we can step up our hospitality game to their level. Lately it's been prison behavior out there...

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Completely agree with this. When I went there with my dad in 2007 the Irish fans and the staff at the stadium were wonderful. The jerks who invade the Coliseum and get their faces painted green and get obnoxiously drunk, not so much.

15. Rodgarnay51

Oct 23, 2017
    Agree. They have courteous, intelligent older guys who wear ties and are very helpful. We have rent-a-thugs.

16. Rodgarnay51

Oct 23, 2017
    I nearly had to fight one of the ruins after the Rob Johnson interception game.

17. bobdrake

bobdrake Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Truly evil all the way.

18. Cardinalblood

Cardinalblood Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017

I was at that Orange Bowl too. The Iowa fans above us were throwing urine filled water bottles at us! They were disgusting. I remember them yelling at us before the game, "Why did you come so far to get your asses kicked!" At the end of the game they were completely distraught and dejected. When I went back to Notre Dame we partied with ND fans at a big house barbecue near the campus and they were all great fans. Super friendly.
    Iowa fans, Cal Fans, Arizona, and bRuins were the worst I ever encountered.
    Oklahoma fans, Washington fans, Stanford fans, Nebraska, and Auburn fans were the best. Never been to Oregon or WSU and I never will.

19. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    you ought to see them at home.... omg

CP619 likes this.
  20. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Agree with notre dame and nebraska fans but 2 of my favorites were virginia and arkansas