Time for USC Football to Quit the PAC-12; revenue gap could exceed $100 million…

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by redeye, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Time for USC Football to Quit the PAC-12; revenue gap could exceed $100 million…
    redeye

redeye Points Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Although this article is lengthy and complex please take the time to read it once or twice.
    I have been researching the disparity between other conferences and the PAC 12 in projected media per school distribution. The data indicates that over the next 4.5 years that the PAC 12 will fall so far behind as to make it impossible to compete in all aspects such as coaching salaries, facilities, player recruiting et al.
    Some one should ask Bohn Bohn the questions that appear at the end of this article.

I believe USC should quit the PAC 12 and negotiate with CBS to fill the projected vacancy as ESPN buys out the BIG 10 game of the week. Garry P. would love this thread.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/02/04/the-pac-12-revenue-gap-we-ran-the-numbers-the-conference-could-fall-so-far-behind-the-sec-and-big-ten-that-it-cant-catch-up/
    Redeye

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Pat signed us up with the commie share all PAC. King Larry gets top dollar for getting PAC the least $$$. A strong SC could go alone but Folt loves good kiss ass Clay

3. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 8, 2020
    I agree, or at least force major change. The PAC-12 under Larry Scott has been an unmitigated disaster. How they keep this guy on AND pay him (by far) the highest salary among conference commissioners is baffling.

4. redeye

redeye Points Member

Feb 9, 2020
    I certainly agree. Did not know he was the most well compensated.

RobertSmithLA likes this.
  5. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 9, 2020
    Thank you very much for posting.

How do you guys think this effects notre dame? Can they survive as an independent? Think they have to join a conference now?

"Also, will the Pac-12’s on-field product be worthy of top dollar if the schools face a steep resource disadvantage for four-and-a-half more years?"

USC has to at least do the due diligence and explore going it alone or joining a conference with better leadership.

RobertSmithLA, redeye and DaFireMedic like this.
  6. FightOn1992

FightOn1992 Junior Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Not only is he the most well compensated but it is not even close: Scott makes $4.6M a year I believe. The SEC and Big10 Commissioners make ~$2.5M.

Also, he moved the Pac12 Offices into one of the most expensive commercial real estate areas in the country (Downtown SF from Walnut Hill ... which I think doubled the costs) - this move was largely for his massive ego. To compare - I live in Dallas and the Big12 conference offices are in a basic 2 story office building in a moderately priced commercial area (Las Colinas).

The Oregonian wrote a 4-5 part expose on how abjectly awful Scott has been around Nov 2018. It is a fantastic read - also it convinced me without a doubt that SC would be better off going independent or trying a power play with the other CA Pac 12 schools to threaten removing Scott or SC, Stanford, ucla, and Cal could go to the Big12.

7. jerald grossman

jerald grossman Points Member

Feb 9, 2020
    I agree USC should leave the pac-12 now, because they are losing money by the drives to the power five conferences in a big way. The commissioner of the pac-12 is a dumb shet and will cost the pac-12 tons of money. USC could make ten times what they get if they would just leave now.

8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 9, 2020
    They wouldn’t make 10 times, but if done right, it should be a substantial increase. Just joining one of the profitable conferences should do it.

Going independent would be a tougher route, given the current run of mediocrity. Getting a fat contract with one of major networks is dependent on people wanting to watch USC football. If we’d have done it in the early-mid 2000’s, I believe we could have been successful as an independent, but right now I think it would be very tough to make a profit.

The other option is to force change in the PAC-12. USC leaving the PAC-12 would put the conference in a precarious position, with no blueblood program to anchor it. They’d be in real trouble. USC could use that as leverage to force change in leadership, TV deals, etc.

9. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Feb 9, 2020
    33 million per school isn't exactly chump change and that's only in media rights. There are many revenue opportunities each school can tap into, including ticket sales and merchandise, and, I'm sure some of these schools are just happy to be getting some of that handout anyways because they probably don't contribute to it much.

Win and you won't have to worry about losing money. USC is in a position to make whatever money it needs to within the Pac12. No other school except for maybe Washington and Oregon can do that with the demographics and following. There are no excuses.

And like any business, the schools choose who they employ to lead them, from choosing the University Presidents to Commissioner. Their failures are their own doing.

VM805, earlandnic and redeye like this.
  10. trojan9999

trojan9999 Junior Member

Feb 9, 2020
    To borrow a quote from an ex-NBA'er, Larry Scott might make a lot of money, but he also spends a lot of money."

11. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Feb 9, 2020
    To leave the PAC you’d need a competent athletic department that could actually manage sports marketing and the business of sports. So no, leaving the PAC would expose SC leadership as the clowns we know they are.

VM805, redeye and DADMoyock like this.
  12. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    I think becoming one of the Group of Six will be a lot more relaxing, frankly. The Emerald Bowl will seem like a much bigger achievement.

13. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    ND is doing quite while. NBC football revenue ($15M annually) and ACC basketball revenue. They are in the top 10, we arrive at 18....behind the quacks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2018/09/11/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams/amp/

gubo&palanka and redeye like this.
  14. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    We should have dropped out one second after Larry Scott sold USC down the river

15. 13Perspective

13Perspective Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Yes, thank you for posting. And the Mercury reporter should be commended for digging into this.
    Of all the reasons to be pessimistic, this is probably the article that did me in. It’s one thing to hope for sudden improvements in the coaching circumstance - quite another thing to battle the dual impacts of state talent drain and massive (and building) financial disparities.
    Who are we kidding to think that the USC administration would have the grapes to pull out of the PAC12 and strike its own TV deal.
    And where is the NCAA in all of this? (I know, getting it’s near-term payoff by undermining the longer term future). What fun college football will be to watch the perennial Big10-SEC battle for the CFP and top 10.
    I’m just thankful I had the chance to see USC at the top of the pyramid for that one last time.

gubo&palanka and VM805 like this.
  16. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Our admin could barely manage the athletic department!

17. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Feb 11, 2020
    You gotta love a Patrick Ewing quote once in a while.

18. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Since we're dreaming as USC would never leave the Pac-12 for a host of reasons, if it did - here's the idea situation. Negotiate a deal with NBC that includes a coordinated schedule with Notre Dame so that USC and ND have their home games on alternating Saturdays. The aim is to give NBC a college football game to televise every Saturday; either a ND or USC home game.

19. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 12, 2020