Tight Ends, Full Backs, A Real Football Offense

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by mattinNYC, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Tight Ends, Full Backs, A Real Football Offense
    mattinNYC

mattinNYC Points Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Its amazing this science experiment has been allowed. I watch Alabama pound the ball, protect the QB, kill the clock, and score points. The fact that USC is running an offense called Air Raid is just crazy. Get rid of all these coaches. Now. JT Daniels was never good enough to be the USC QB. He was manufactured and annointed at too young of an age. I wish him well, but he wasn’t the right QB for USC.

2. twincitytrojan

twincitytrojan Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    DYK -- Steve Sarkisian is Bama's Offensive Coordinator.

He runs a hybrid spread offense these days.

Has some traditional NFL touches combined with modern spread concepts/schemes.

Their offense didnt look much different than ours given the use of short to intermediate passes consistently, BUT they had the ability to switch up formations to a power I-esque and kill clock, or use in short yardage scenarios.

We don't have that ability. 4th & 1, and we have the QB and RB 5 yards back. Even though going for it on your own 49 yard line, up 8, with 90 secs to go, vs a true frosh QB, playing on the road, makes ZERO sense as is (make them march 90 yards instead of 40 yards to score 8 pt), it'd still be nice to have the ability to power run the ball from time to time.

3. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Bring back John Robinson, the I formation, and run the ball down Stanford's throat.

USCTFL likes this.
  4. mattinNYC

mattinNYC Points Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Yes. I agree 100%. Once in awhile play power ball, mix it up, and yes.....stop setting up 5-7 yards back on short down plays. Saban is giving Sark guardrails to operate within....

5. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    How many times do we have to say this,? You need quality NFL type of o linemen to pull that off!

DaFireMedic likes this.
  6. BigDaddy4464

BigDaddy4464 Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Outside of rules changes and player/positional deployment, the last innovation in football was the forward pass.
    Want a traditional offense, how about the single wing and go really old school?
    Wait, that's essentially the spread/read-option, which you now see in the NFL.
    Minor spins on old stuff is what you're seeing every weekend and all coaches copy each other since football coaching began!

7. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    I think we tried the "bring back" approach with him. Didn't go well.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  8. mattinNYC

mattinNYC Points Member

Sep 2, 2019
    And the differences between winning and losing....players and coaching. Two ingredients USC should have an upper hand on.....